November 16, 201015 yr Was on campus this past weekend, and heard they are doing a D1 feasibilty study. I think it would be great. Though I really wish they look at football.
November 16, 201015 yr I'd be interested to see the results of the feasibility study. Me too. I don't know how likely they'd build a football program right now. The cost in starting a football program is extremely high, although they've been talking about doing this for decades now....
November 17, 201015 yr I remember seeing shirts around campus one time that said "NKU Football Undefeated since 1968". It would be interesting to see how feasible it would be for the move.
November 17, 201015 yr Me too. I don't know how likely they'd build a football program right now. The cost in starting a football program is extremely high, although they've been talking about doing this for decades now.... All true but man I think they could really put a team together, a lot of kids in NKY and the surrounding areas seem to stop playing football because of the lask of a middle level team around here and a lot of kids just do not want to move to far away. In NKY it's either D-3 (no knock at all) or Big East ball. Is it even a thought at this point to think NKU would try this does anyone know?
November 17, 201015 yr All true but man I think they could really put a team together, a lot of kids in NKY and the surrounding areas seem to stop playing football because of the lask of a middle level team around here and a lot of kids just do not want to move to far away. In NKY it's either D-3 (no knock at all) or Big East ball. Is it even a thought at this point to think NKU would try this does anyone know? It's definitely a thought, according to a friend of mine with an office with a view in Lucas. While there is a lot of interest in the move from the athletic department and the regents, there would be an out-and-out mutiny from the faculty if this move was tried now, in this economy. Plus, I'm pretty sure there's an NCAA moratorium on schools moving up to D-I.
November 17, 201015 yr It's definitely a thought, according to a friend of mine with an office with a view in Lucas. While there is a lot of interest in the move from the athletic department and the regents, there would be an out-and-out mutiny from the faculty if this move was tried now, in this economy. Plus, I'm pretty sure there's an NCAA moratorium on schools moving up to D-I. Oh ok got ya. It sure would be nice though, either way a D-1 basketball team or a football team at NKU would really bring some much needed buzz to the area i think. It would kill TMC depending on what Division the football team would be.
November 17, 201015 yr Moving to D-1 for NKU is certainly not out of the question in the near future. However, it is going to be a very long time until you see a Norse football team in my opinion...a very long time. From what I have heard with the feasibility study, they actually did it a couple of years ago. They were told that they need to upgrade their facilities (hence the BOKC and the new soccer arena. There are also talks of a new baseball stadium as well). Also, I have been told that they will need to add another sport or two. I wouldn't be surprised if you see track soon at NKU. Lastly, I believe that money is an issues with the jump to D-1 as well. I pose the question.... Be a powerhouse in multiple sports at the D-II level, or a bottom feeder in D-1?
November 17, 201015 yr Never gonna happen....although I wish I was being paid to be on the committees. Lot's of cash fo nothing.
November 17, 201015 yr Moving to D-1 for NKU is certainly not out of the question in the near future. However, it is going to be a very long time until you see a Norse football team in my opinion...a very long time. From what I have heard with the feasibility study, they actually did it a couple of years ago. They were told that they need to upgrade their facilities (hence the BOKC and the new soccer arena. There are also talks of a new baseball stadium as well). Also, I have been told that they will need to add another sport or two. I wouldn't be surprised if you see track soon at NKU. Lastly, I believe that money is an issues with the jump to D-1 as well. I pose the question.... Be a powerhouse in multiple sports at the D-II level, or a bottom feeder in D-1? Equates to Peru or Montana. Who would you rather be..............
November 17, 201015 yr Moving to D-1 for NKU is certainly not out of the question in the near future. However, it is going to be a very long time until you see a Norse football team in my opinion...a very long time. From what I have heard with the feasibility study, they actually did it a couple of years ago. They were told that they need to upgrade their facilities (hence the BOKC and the new soccer arena. There are also talks of a new baseball stadium as well). Also, I have been told that they will need to add another sport or two. I wouldn't be surprised if you see track soon at NKU. Lastly, I believe that money is an issues with the jump to D-1 as well. I pose the question.... Be a powerhouse in multiple sports at the D-II level, or a bottom feeder in D-1? It's more complicated than that, of course. A move to D-I puts NKU on equal footing with Murray, WKU, EKU, Morehead, and potentially even UK and UofL. A move to D-I opens doors to expand its educational offerings and draw students from beyond a 50-mile radius and expand its donor base. It helps NKU shake its image as a commuter school and would go hand-in-hand with the school's long-term vision of putting all that land it has bought up in recent years to good use in terms of more undergraduate and graduate degree programs, and more on-campus housing.
November 17, 201015 yr Plus, I'm pretty sure there's an NCAA moratorium on schools moving up to D-I. I think you are right on this. The only teams that can move to D-I right now are teams currently in I-AA if I'm not mistaken. That's why Texas State and Texas-San Antonio both accepted invites to the WAC last week, with Montana thinking hard about it, too.
November 17, 201015 yr Moving to D-1 for NKU is certainly not out of the question in the near future. However, it is going to be a very long time until you see a Norse football team in my opinion...a very long time. From what I have heard with the feasibility study, they actually did it a couple of years ago. They were told that they need to upgrade their facilities (hence the BOKC and the new soccer arena. There are also talks of a new baseball stadium as well). Also, I have been told that they will need to add another sport or two. I wouldn't be surprised if you see track soon at NKU. Lastly, I believe that money is an issues with the jump to D-1 as well. I pose the question.... Be a powerhouse in multiple sports at the D-II level, or a bottom feeder in D-1? It's a tough question but I'm sure many who've attended NKU, myself included, have watched D1 basketball games and football games on ESPN, CBS ABC etc etc and wished that we had that at NKU. Just the environment that goes with that type of talent, media coverage and so on. Not to mention that fact that NKU is in Kentucky and across the river from Xavier and UC, they should be able to fill a decent scedule in most sports and maybe join a conference like the MAC or conference USA, gotta start some where.
November 17, 201015 yr Plus, I'm pretty sure there's an NCAA moratorium on schools moving up to D-I. That is supposed to end within the next year.
November 17, 201015 yr It's more complicated than that, of course. A move to D-I puts NKU on equal footing with Murray, WKU, EKU, Morehead, and potentially even UK and UofL. A move to D-I opens doors to expand its educational offerings and draw students from beyond a 50-mile radius and expand its donor base. It helps NKU shake its image as a commuter school and would go hand-in-hand with the school's long-term vision of putting all that land it has bought up in recent years to good use in terms of more undergraduate and graduate degree programs, and more on-campus housing. NKU has earned its image as a commuter school. How would the move to D1 change that?
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.