Should Playoff games be at neutral sites?

UKBLUE1964

I am wondering if Playoff games should be at neutral sites from the Second round to the Semi-Finals.

I read on here about how far teams have to travel and how the officials didnt call the game their way. I believe there is plenty of nice field turf high schools that can host playoff games. One thing for sure, there will be no complaining of how far one team has to go to play or how the officials must be from the home teams town.

What does everyone think?

I believe also that Morehead St. , Pikeville College, Georgetown College to name a few that could host a site also. Yes there is a number of High School sites that could host games too, Belfry comes to mind for one.

Getting back to your opening statement. How would Pikeville or Belfry reduce travel for some teams? They are located in one the the extremes of the state!

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know if they should have neutral sites but I would like to see it as a fan once the 1 seeds are playing the 1 seeds. I guess for selfish reasons, I would like to see 2 games at a site on a Saturday. As someone mentioned earlier, the Highlands team has to travel to Paintsville on Friday night and last year vice versa. For a person who works to 5 or 6 o'clock on a Friday, there is no way to make that game. I think it would help the gate as far as people coming.

In Virginia the alternate seed hosts the game at home until the finals.

The finals used to be played at alternating home fields until 10 years ago. In other words, one of the participants got to host the state title game. What a pitiful set up that was.

On a side note, playing at Salem High School they have one of the best High School fields you will find. They play the NCAA Div. III National Title Game there.

I think your earn the right to play at home in the playoffs on the seed that you have. High seeds stay at home makes the regular season relevant.

That is what we have for the first 2 rounds, but after that it is based on a rotation. I guess the question is, should the last 2 rounds (regionals & semis) be moved to neutral location.

If I am not mistaken, Georgia plays their semifinals in Atlanta at the GeorgiaDome.

Then, and this is the part that floors me, the finals are played at the home field of the higher seeded team.

Wow, I can't see the logic in that.

I wouldn't be against playing state semifinals at neutral sites, maybe combining two or three games in one day at places like WKU or EKU, or maybe a larger high school stadium that has field turf. But I wouldn't be in favor of neutral site games any earlier than that.

I agree with this, and have made a case for this in the past.

However, as pointed out above, neutral sites would create a lot of logisitcal issues and probably would result in the KHSAA taking charge of that round.

Somebody would have to pay for all the extra costs, either the fans or the schools involved. I attended an Ohio playoff game last week and the gate price was $9. All the concession prices were outrageous also, nothing was under $2, even coffee.