My email to Mitch McConnell

What is wrong with having Washington to stay out of my life?

What is wrong with having Washington to follow the Constitution?

What is wrong with wanting to have people elected that share that point of view?[/quote

Not one thing, IMO I just hope the Republicans understand that this election was not a mandate for them to continue status quo . . . Less government, less spending, or out you go as well. They better start liking tea and get off the kool aid.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think there are many government programs that are garbage. That doesn't mean we do away with them but we'd better find a way to make them operate more efficiently and deliver their service at lower costs. I think that is the biggest beef people have with them.

Post like these really break my heart. I am sad to live in a place that has people with so little empathy. Just today I spent 10.00 to send 2 kids on a field trip who didn't have the money and 40.00 bucks on to feed our kids because something happened to ours. In your world I would have simply said "suck it up" you lousy 15 year olds you should have made better decisions and be taking care of yourself by now.

My heart just hurts - for you.

This is exactly how helping people out should happen and what Jesus meant.

IMO, there are no garbage government programs. Not Social Security, not Welfare, Medicaid, Medicare, Health Care or Public Education.. The fact of the matter is that a civilized society sets up a "safety net" for it's weakest citizens. Doing away any or all of those is in the mildest terms, uncivil. You think we have problems now, just imagine what it would be like then. People throw around the term "class warfare" like it has any credence now, it will absolutely be valid at that point.

I realize some on here are young, and I know UKMF is young. I think a little more life experience would go a long way to enlightening you on the need for government programs.

There are always ways to improve the "system". And improvement is exactly what is needed, not eradication. If one is upset because "my money" is being used to better the lives of others, then one had better hope that one does not by some set of unfortunate circumstances become the one in need. It's easy to sit back with the comfort of being able to take care of yourself and say it could never happen to you, or to say you wouldn't apply for the aid if it did. It's quite another when it is your reality.

I highly encourage people to work with the unfortunate in a volunteer capacity. I challenge them to see what community organizations are doing with very little donations, very little funding. I challenge them to volunteer to lend their expertise and teach a class for homeless mothers so they can gain job-skills. I challenge them to cook meals for a senior center and talk to the seniors who come in and hear about their path in life. Try mentoring an unwed mother who has no home, no education, no job.

First, I agree that eradication of programs (at least most of them) is not the answer. As you said, improvement is what we need (and major improvements at that).

I completely disagree that this has anything to do with age.

In all fairness, I think he's fine with you giving willingly, it's the government control part of it he has a problem with, if I read his post right.

This. :thumb:

I have zero problem with people giving to those less fortunate, and even do so myself. My problem lies with the government mandating it.

McConnell has never made much effort to serve his constituents, and I wasn't surprised that he said his goal was to make Barry-o B a one term president. He's serving his own agenda, and that's nothing new with Mitch.

I can't help be keep thinking back to when a large group of landowners from eastern Kentucky invited him down from Washington to discuss legislation against mountain topping. The day of his meeting, his private jet "broke down" so he couldn't make it. And wouldn't you know it...that pesky jet broke down again when they rescheduled the meeting the second and third times too. He makes every effort not to have to listen to the people he represents.

I don't think you're going to win much support with the idea that United States should abolish public education.

Social Security is also always a fun topic to address. Every poll done on the subject has led to the same conclusion: Americans want to save Social Security and they want to do it without cutting benefits and without raising taxes. Americans don't want change; in fact, we just don't know what we want.

I could be wrong but I think we had a pretty good thread on abolishing public education and it did have some support.

And he wouldn't give a sou of his own money to em either . I agree That was one of the most heartless posts I have read on here . Common sense reform is needed with these programs not throwing them out as if they are "Garbage" as he so colorfully calls them .
And that is where you are wrong. I regularly give to charity and also take part in raising money for charity. I"m also fully against the programs UKMF talked about.

McConnell has never made much effort to serve his constituents, and I wasn't surprised that he said his goal was to make Barry-o B a one term president. He's serving his own agenda, and that's nothing new with Mitch.

I can't help be keep thinking back to when a large group of landowners from eastern Kentucky invited him down from Washington to discuss legislation against mountain topping. The day of his meeting, his private jet "broke down" so he couldn't make it. And wouldn't you know it...that pesky jet broke down again when they rescheduled the meeting the second and third times too. He makes every effort not to have to listen to the people he represents.

In all fairnes, I think the Kentucky election results in 2008 showed that McConnell's constituents fully support making Obama a one term president.

In all fairnes, I think the Kentucky election results in 2008 showed that McConnell's constituents fully support making Obama a one term president.

You may be right, but I would wager to guess that with or with out their support, McConnell would be trying to make him a one term president regardless.

Might be worth adding that I'm not just trying to rag on the guy...I have voted for him in the past. Doesn't mean I'm gonna ever be voting for him again though.

I could be wrong but I think we had a pretty good thread on abolishing public education and it did have some support.

I remember a thread dealing with terminating the United States Department of Education; that was and remains an idea with lots of support and I certainly understand where people are coming from on that. But I got a more general feeling from his original post, which I may have been wrong about, that public education in general should be abolished, which seems a terrible idea that would only compound so many of the problems this country already faces.

Someone already said this; "Two years ago the people had to vote Democratic in all the races, to get back at Bush, and now, in just two short years, they voted them back in, to get back at Obama".

I think we need to stop everything and start all over in voting everybody out and redo it all. Still wouldn't work would it? :idunno:

You may be right, but I would wager to guess that with or with out their support, McConnell would be trying to make him a one term president regardless.

Might be worth adding that I'm not just trying to rag on the guy...I have voted for him in the past. Doesn't mean I'm gonna ever be voting for him again though.

Fair enough.

And I'm with you there. I have voted for him as well but will NEVER do it again.

In fairness though, don't you think that's how just about everyone on both sides in Washington feels about a president not from their party? I think he's just expressing what no one else will say.