RivalsHigh.com ranks the 50 states for overall depth and quality of HS Football

Very interesting analysis by Dallas Jackson over at RivalsHigh.com. He ranks all 50 states high school football "overall" based on quality and depth.

Where is the best football played in 2010

To note....

TIER ONE: The best of the best for high school football around the country.

3. Ohio: Maintaining its position in the Top 3 may need to stop being a surprise and instead become the norm. Ohio has fewer teams than Texas or California but can certainly hang with the big three and does so for the second straight season. In fact, it may be more like Florida than Texas or California, not relying on volume, instead overall quality. The Division I state title will be the hardest state tournament to win in 2010, Divisions III, IV and V also have several very good teams. (LY: 3)

TIER FOUR: A couple pockets of good teams and players but generally in the 25-40 range.

31: Kentucky: Generally the best team in Kentucky is among the four or five best in Ohio. This year, the best team in the state, Louisville Trinity, may not be in the Top 10 in Ohio. There is also a major gap between Trinity and everyone else in the state. That kind of problem is glaring and reflective in this placement. (LY: 25)

Just an interesting perspective on how close Ohio and KY are (or are not).

Thoughts? Opinions? How far would Trinity go if they were in the Ohio Division I Playoffs?

-CardinalsFan

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well there it is from an unbiased source. You know I agree with you CardinalsFan.

Trinity, Highlands and sometimes Louisville St. X can hang. Other teams are good-Boyle, Mayfield, NCC, Beechwood, but it is a different game in Ohio.

Trinity would make the playoffs in Ohio, but they wouldn't be sitting pretty with 19 state titles if they were in the Buckeye state, IMO.

The early 2000's when the Rocks had Brohm, they would've won multiple titles. The year Elder won the state title, the Rocks absolutely destroyed them.

Next year, I'd take Trinity over ANY team in Ohio. Period.

Well there it is from an unbiased source. You know I agree with you CardinalsFan.

Trinity, Highlands and sometimes Louisville St. X can hang. Other teams are good-Boyle, Mayfield, NCC, Beechwood, but it is a different game in Ohio.

I think you put Highlands, Boyle, Mayfield, NCC, and Beechwood against schools of similar size in Ohio and you'd see them have just as much success.

It's the big schools that Highlands struggles against.

I think the assessment is average at best. I have no problem with OH's ranking but KY has better football than many ranked ahead of it and should probably be a tier 3 state. It also shows a glaring lack of knowledge IMO to not include HHS and to a lesser extent St X in the glaring gap. I also agree with Walter that some of KY's smaller schools would do very well against OH competetion.

I think the assessment is average at best. I have no problem with OH's ranking but KY has better football than many ranked ahead of it and should probably be a tier 3 state. It also shows a glaring lack of knowledge IMO to not include HHS and to a lesser extent St X in the glaring gap. I also agree with Walter that some of KY's smaller schools would do very well against OH competetion.

I had similar thoughts. But until last year, how much success has HHS had in crossing the river? They've played some great games vs. Elder as I recall but most every time it ended in a loss. :idunno:

Trinity would make the playoffs in Ohio, but they wouldn't be sitting pretty with 19 state titles if they were in the Buckeye state, IMO.

The early 2000's when the Rocks had Brohm, they would've won multiple titles. The year Elder won the state title, the Rocks absolutely destroyed them.

Next year, I'd take Trinity over ANY team in Ohio. Period.

Took the words out of my mouth! Look! We all know the best football talent in America comes out of Florida, Texas, California, Ohio and Pennsylvania. If Trinity and St. X and a few other tradition rich schools in the bluegrass were in those states competing for the same athletes, they would be winning there share of titles. It's not apples to apples. Trinity is on top here with what they have to draw from. The next two years the Rocks will be a national power weather you like it or not. We are looking for some games to fill out the schedule for next year. Mention it to your favorite team's Athletic Director. Bring it on!!

I had similar thoughts. But until last year, how much success has HHS had in crossing the river? They've played some great games vs. Elder as I recall but most every time it ended in a loss. :idunno:

Not alot but they played some very close games with OH's big division power houses. They also handled a Trotwood Madison team a couple of years ago with mutliple D-1 Scholarship players. I'm not a big fan of the size argument when it comes to HHS because they generally will get athletes from all over Northern Kentucky; even so those big division schools still have more boys and a larger pool to pick from geographically and population wise.

Took the words out of my mouth! Look! We all know the best football talent in America comes out of Florida, Texas, California, Ohio and Pennsylvania. If Trinity and St. X and a few other tradition rich schools in the bluegrass were in those states competing for the same athletes, they would be winning there share of titles. It's not apples to apples. Trinity is on top here with what they have to draw from. The next two years the Rocks will be a national power weather you like it or not. We are looking for some games to fill out the schedule for next year. Mention it to your favorite team's Athletic Director. Bring it on!!

Who does Trinity have in week 1 (not week 0)?

-CF

Not alot but they played some very close games with OH's big division power houses. They also handled a Trotwood Madison team a couple of years ago with mutliple D-1 Scholarship players. I'm not a big fan of the size argument when it comes to HHS because they generally will get athletes from all over Northern Kentucky; even so those big division schools still have more boys and a larger pool to pick from geographically and population wise.

Define generally. The overwhelming numbers on the team are right from Ft Thomas. This year I believe someone said 4? out of 80 plus. I can think of 2.

I don't think there's any debate on overall depth and quality. KY simply cannot compete with the numbers. Where's the story?

Define generally. The overwhelming numbers on the team are right from Ft Thomas. This year I believe someone said 4? out of 80 plus. I can think of 2.

Exactly!:thumb:

I'm actually trying to defend your program, so sorry. It's 4 and I know at least 3 are starters and one is one of your best defenders. That is 4 more than most other NKY teams and some years it is more and some years less but generally HHS always has players from outside of Ft. Thomas on the team. Generally speaking they are better than average players and generally most NKY teams don't have that luxuary. Anyway it's no where near the luxuary of the GCL schools or even Colerain just from a numbers perspective.