Ashland

tomcat44

Well I guess I should give the kid some credit.....

Mahan did play well on the JV level with a suspect O-Line and came away a 5-2 record. Darrel was the player, along with Justin Castle that sealed the JV win agianst Ironton....

But I will question all this praise going into Varsity?

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, we've said it before, and it will always be true - Hart and the staff will play the kids that they believe will give them the best chance to win on a given Friday night. Whoever lines up at QB, RB, WR, Center, etc. will have to earn the right to play there. :thumb:

Frances

Amen. They will all get their spots the old fashioned way – they’ll EARN it.

The most important thing that Darrell needs to do over the offseason is grow up. On and off the Football field. Ian Holbrook will be extremely hard to replace, not just his athletism but his great decision making, I dont think Mahan is a mature enough player to replace Ian in that area. Im not saying Drew could make as good choices either but Drew has played in a Varsity game before, and that was Ironton, and I would trust Drew's decision making a lot more at this point in time. But if Mahan gets at it over the offseason then who knows what will happen, I may end up eating my words.

Well, we've said it before, and it will always be true - Hart and the staff will play the kids that they believe will give them the best chance to win on a given Friday night. Whoever lines up at QB, RB, WR, Center, etc. will have to earn the right to play there. :thumb:

Frances

This is the way it should be. No kid should be guaranteed his position because of last seasons performance. As a coach you would have to expect a kid who performed well the year before to play at the same level or better preferrably at the start of the new year but a kid has to start earning his position in the off season (weightlifting, spring practice) if he expects to be in the starting lineup come spring practice. I'm sure Ashland's coaching staff has some ideas on what they would like to happen but will be waiting to see what happens over this crucial time of development in the off season and are prepared to take action with several different scenarios should some players develop or not develop.

This is the way it should be. No kid should be guaranteed his position because of last seasons performance. As a coach you would have to expect a kid who performed well the year before to play at the same level or better preferrably at the start of the new year but a kid has to start earning his position in the off season (weightlifting, spring practice) if he expects to be in the starting lineup come spring practice. I'm sure Ashland's coaching staff has some ideas on what they would like to happen but will be waiting to see what happens over this crucial time of development in the off season and are prepared to take action with several different scenarios should some players develop or not develop.

Amen. :thumb: :thumb:

Frances

The most important thing that Darrell needs to do over the offseason is grow up. On and off the Football field. Ian Holbrook will be extremely hard to replace, not just his athletism but his great decision making, I dont think Mahan is a mature enough player to replace Ian in that area. Im not saying Drew could make as good choices either but Drew has played in a Varsity game before, and that was Ironton, and I would trust Drew's decision making a lot more at this point in time. But if Mahan gets at it over the offseason then who knows what will happen, I may end up eating my words.

I don't know that much about Darrell but have seen him play alittle to know that if he develops and matures he has enough talent to lead these Cats to another good year. Whether he does or not depends on his work ethic and the comradarie amongst all of the incoming senior class to lead each other along with the underclassmen to a stage of development that will make this next Tomcat team one of the great ones. There is alot of talent in this incoming senior class and underclassmen and all they need now is true leadership. And that is something that is truly.................earned........off the field.

I don't know that much about Darrell but have seen him play alittle to know that if he develops and matures he has enough talent to lead these Cats to another good year. Whether he does or not depends on his work ethic and the comradarie amongst all of the incoming senior class to lead each other along with the underclassmen to a stage of development that will make this next Tomcat team one of the great ones. There is alot of talent in this incoming senior class and underclassmen and all they need now is true leadership. And that is something that is truly.................earned........off the field.

:thumb: :thumb:

Couldnt have said it better!

I want to be sure that I understand your post, FBALL. You "quoted" the entire post by Woody, simply to point out one typographical error, and one grammatical misstep? Is that correct?

If so, I simply do not understand. This site is riddled with people that have grammatical errors, and the best typists in the world commit typos.

I just don't "get it".

Frances

Frances dear,

That was the previous persons quote that "I" hilighted their typos - just trying to help them out since I took their comments as an intellectual critique.

Whoops - my error, huh?

Take care down there. Wish I could drop in and see some great football at the pizza box but pretty doubtful. My prediction of Ashland playing LexCath then Bowling Green may have been influenced by some partisanship, but Rock may just assume the slot from the way it sounds?

Cheers, Woody

From what Ive seen coach Hart has a pretty good feel for putting players in position to make plays - thats what the coach needs to do. I also think coach Hart is still learning & adjusting to the HS game (I dont mean that in a negative way at all) and is only going to get better & better at "reading" this age groups abilities. Hope he stays a long time b/c i think he can develop into one of the best coaches weve everhad.

cheers Woody Jr

From what Ive seen coach Hart has a pretty good feel for putting players in position to make plays - thats what the coach needs to do. I also think coach Hart is still learning & adjusting to the HS game (I dont mean that in a negative way at all) and is only going to get better & better at "reading" this age groups abilities. Hope he stays a long time b/c i think he can develop into one of the best coaches weve everhad.

cheers Woody Jr

:thumb:

I think Ashlands O Line will be greatly improved next year. They were young last year, and most had limited playing experience. This year we have 3 returning (Walters, Snodgrass, Cordle) with 2 or 3 more who so extensive playing time this year (Dixon, Parsley, Dillon).

Actually the line is what we should be talking about !

Thats where we need to improve. Coach Hart will adapt whatever skill players we have to the offense but we MUST get a more dominant line if we ever wantto get back to Louisville.

Think about the games we have lost over the years (regular & playoff) and think about the % that is due to getting beat on the LOS versus perhaps lesser skill players. I would suggest the % is VERY highly tilted towards line play. Even though lots of teams are throwing like crazy now, you still need a big strong line.

Lets get those boys in the weight room folks! Its a tribute to Ian's hard work but when our QB is the strongest on the team doesnt that say something?

Cheers, Woody Jr

Thats where we need to improve. Coach Hart will adapt whatever skill players we have to the offense but we MUST get a more dominant line if we ever wantto get back to Louisville.

Think about the games we have lost over the years (regular & playoff) and think about the % that is due to getting beat on the LOS versus perhaps lesser skill players. I would suggest the % is VERY highly tilted towards line play. Even though lots of teams are throwing like crazy now, you still need a big strong line.

Lets get those boys in the weight room folks! Its a tribute to Ian's hard work but when our QB is the strongest on the team doesnt that say something?

Cheers, Woody Jr

I agree 100% Woody. :thumb:

Cheers, Woody Jr

The line is the key any year. You have to give Ian credit for his outstanding work ethic but don't overlook the fact that several of these linemen worked very hard last year as well and I believe were right there with Ian's level. Although there is always room for improvement.