Ashland

tomcat44

I think that's great of Ian to still take pride in this program. It is individuals like that, that has made this program so great over the years. Time and the pain of

Friday's loss will pass and come next August this returning group of players along with the incoming class will keep this program at the top.

:thumb: :thumb:

This was a great group of seniors. They have made a huge impact on this program and will see its sucess in years to come!

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've heard it as well and i could see it to be true since both teams dropped Ironton.

Keep in mind that Ashland hasnt just quit playing Ironton.

My understanding is that it was a blip in the schedule openings and that they will be right back there the year after like they usually are. - unlike several other programs in the area who refuse to play them.

Belfry I believe learned in 1990 that they would be a better team to play someone such as Ironton and have done so regularly since - Good for them :thumb: and Lawrence will as well :thumb:

Also, I heard we were going to scrimmage Ironton in preseason - can that be confirmed? they could probably sell as many tks for that as a regular game - maybe more, since folks would get to see the coaches in action :cool:

Cheers, Woody Jr

Keep in mind that Ashland hasnt just quit playing Ironton.

My understanding is that it was a blip in the schedule openings and that they will be right back there the year after like they usually are. - unlike several other programs in the area who refuse to play them.

Belfry I believe learned in 1990 that they would be a better team to play someone such as Ironton and have done so regularly since - Good for them :thumb: and Lawrence will as well :thumb:

Also, I heard we were going to scrimmage Ironton in preseason - can that be confirmed? they could probably sell as many tks for that as a regular game - maybe more, since folks would get to see the coaches in action :cool:

Cheers, Woody Jr

I have heard that we will scrimmage Ironton next year. And we will also see them on our schedule the year after.

I don't think Davis and Gallaher will be 3 year starters although they saw alot of playing time their sophmore years, the 3yr starters are Mcdavid End-DB, Bonner End-DB, Walters Center. Ashland also has some quality 2 year starters returning (Gallaher,Davis,Snodgrass, Cordle,Thomas) But there was several that saw extensive playing time this year (Nethercutt, Dixon, Parsley, Salyers & Bartrum). I hope I'm not leaving anybody out. But this is a good nucleus to build upon. With sophmores maturing and the good incoming Freshman class Coach Hart and staff will build on the past 3 years of winning.

You missed Davis, but you also missed Gallaher. Travis started at least 3 games a sophomore and I honestly believe it might be more. T. Gallaher had to play behind Brandon Pennington and Joey Pierce, but Travis did get the nod in more than a couple games.

I know that several people have stated in various threads that they expect McDavid to move back to QB, but I see him staying at Wide Receiver. The kid from Greenup might take over at QB, with Thomas and Davis as the running backs.

Perhaps Onetoya could give us his thoughts on this. I know that he follows the team fairly closely.

Frances

With regard to McDavid, I believe I prefer him moving to a more prominant role on offense as a quarterback, running back, etc. He is without a doubt one of top, if not the top, athletes on the team. It seems like the ball will need to be in his hands a lot more next year for AHS to maximize their success and I don't think that can happen with DM as a receiver. The 'Cats could afford him to play a secondary role this year with Holbrook as the clear star performer. I think for him to be a receiver and touch the ball only 3 or 4 times a game would be a big mistake.

With regard to McDavid, I believe I prefer him moving to a more prominant role on offense as a quarterback, running back, etc. He is without a doubt one of top, if not the top, athletes on the team. It seems like the ball will need to be in his hands a lot more next year for ASH to maximize their success and I don't think that can happen as a receiver. The 'Cats could afford him to play a secondary role this year with Holbrook as the clear star performer. I think for him to be a receiver and touch the ball only 3 or 4 times a game would be a big mistake.

I don't know that I disagree with anything you said, ACE. However, Hart (and the rest of the staff) have to consider a myriad of issues before making a determination of what role he will play. Some things that they might consider (in no particular order) are: what is best for the success of the team, what is best for McDavid (long term), what other positions can they fill with other athletes, and if they do choose to keep him at WR, how can they get him more touches over the course of a game.

I'm sure of one thing - they will do what they think is right.

Frances

No disagreements here, he just must be more involved. I can just imagine a game where the passing game just isn't there and he gets no catches, effectively rendering him a complete nonfactor in the game. Just imagine Holbrook being a nonfactor in any Ashland game this year(maybe not a true fair comparison but you know what I'm getting at). I do believe DM's best collegiate potential will be on the football field and perhaps as a receiver. It may be in his best interest to stay as a receiver but, not in the teams best interest in my most uneducated opinion.

...in my most uneducated opinion.

Hey!! Who you calling uneducated??? ;)

Certainly, you are no less educated than I, so please, don't try to pull that "I'm dumber than you are" tactic on me.

Frances

PS - I agree 100% with your post. Drew may well play on Saturday's as a WR, yet the staff may need his athleticism in another spot. I know for a fact that his Dad fell under the same situation when he was in high school. His real future was clearly on the bench, but the coaching staff thought he could best help the team by being cut ....

Hey!! Who you calling uneducated??? ;)

His real future was clearly on the bench, but the coaching staff thought he could best help the team by being cut ....

Slightly off subject, but getting cut is not always a bad thing. I know a kid running division 1 track because he was cut from HS baseball.

With regard to McDavid, I believe I prefer him moving to a more prominant role on offense as a quarterback, running back, etc. He is without a doubt one of top, if not the top, athletes on the team. It seems like the ball will need to be in his hands a lot more next year for AHS to maximize their success and I don't think that can happen with DM as a receiver. The 'Cats could afford him to play a secondary role this year with Holbrook as the clear star performer. I think for him to be a receiver and touch the ball only 3 or 4 times a game would be a big mistake.

I agree!

I appreciate your concern! I usually just check my user CP to keep an eye on the threads Im already subscribed to, so sometimes I miss out on a thread until it has already been going for a while. So anyway, congrats to Rockcastle, they just flat out beat us. Atleast we cant "what if" about it, they were better, no shame in losing that game. Also I would like to give a big thanks to all our seniors especially Ian Holbrook, Tyler Reliford, Aaron Cordial, Joe Smith. I have loved watching you guys plays, you have made a great impact and laid a great foundation for our program.

I think we will have a good team next year. We could see Thomas, David and Nethercut in the backfield, and hopefully Mahan will make enough progress over the offseason to take the QB spot. I know Ian has BIG plans for Daryl, so get ready to work!! McDavid and Bonner should give Ashland a couple of nice receivers. And everyone should keep an eye on some sophmores like Josh Salisbury, Ryan Bonner, and Justin Pennington, they may all make an impact next season.

Nice post AT41. I'm already looking forward to next years game so we can have a good time taking jabs at each other. Good luck to those Tomcats on the BB court. Have a great holiday Tomcat 41.

Oh by the way you were right and I was wrong. Nobody scored 35 on the mighty Tomcats. Great call.

Jeepman

Nice post AT41. I'm already looking forward to next years game so we can have a good time taking jabs at each other. Good luck to those Tomcats on the BB court. Have a great holiday Tomcat 41.

Oh by the way you were right and I was wrong. Nobody scored 35 on the mighty Tomcats. Great call.

Jeepman

Thats right! I forgot about that! I was right, but thats little consolation for being home a few weeks earlier than I expected.