UK's Matt Roark Suspended

Colonels_Wear_Blue

Roark has been suspended for the Mississippi State game following a Sunday morning arrest for driving under the influence. I read about the story on Monday morning, and my thoughts immediately went to a friend of mine from high school.

Lo and behold, here's an article from this morning's Herald-Leader with the same exact thoughts as mine. My sincere thanks to the author, John Clay.

Edited by Colonels_Wear_Blue
Typo

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I see reminders of Artie quite often as I often see him mom. Yesterday, I was at CCH and saw that one of the classrooms is named in Artie's memory.

I'm not sure if a one-game suspension sends the right message.

Another example of a collegiate athlete getting a pass. Roark needs to be dismissed from the team. Joker needs a zero tolerance policy. If someone is drinking and driving then they obviously have no respect for others lives and don't deserve to participate in collegiate athletics.

Another example of a collegiate athlete getting a pass. Roark needs to be dismissed from the team. Joker needs a zero tolerance policy. If someone is drinking and driving then they obviously have no respect for others lives and don't deserve to participate in collegiate athletics.

I think 1 game is too light, I think dismissal is too strong...just my opinion.

I'm not sure what I think the appropriate response is. No doubt a one game suspension doesn't cut it, and at first thought, dismissal from the program seems like it would be awfully draconian.

Still, if you think about it further, DUI's are cause for review boards and/or dismissal from almost all nursing, medical, dental, veterinarian and law school programs. Beyond the collegiate level, most professions with regulatory boards have a mandatory suspension and/or probation of license, and a review before the state board for reinstatement if anyone gets a DUI. There are people (and students) being held very accountable for drinking responsibly. Why not athletes?

I don't see how it would ever happen...but how great would a zero tolerance policy be from NCAA sports as a whole? It would give a whole lot of student athletes a really good reason not to drink and drive. There are over 600 colleges in the US that offer athletic scholarships. In division 1 football alone, there are around 2,486 athletic scholarships given each year. Think how many students would opt to not drive home after celebrating their big win if the NCAA required that they were dismissed from the program (and assumedly lost their scholarship) if they got a DUI...

Personally, I would keep him on the team, but I would suspend him from play for the season. He is a Junior, he will have an opportunity to show he is humbled and sorry for his actions. He will come out and practice, he will support his teammates, and he will show remorse for his actions. If he handles those things appropriately and learns a life lesson then he can rejoin his team in full next season, and work to play at the next level. If he cannot handle the commitment of revitalizing himself, then he can move on.

The ball would be in his court. Which direction does he want to go?

Personally, I would keep him on the team, but I would suspend him from play for the season. He is a Junior, he will have an opportunity to show he is humbled and sorry for his actions. He will come out and practice, he will support his teammates, and he will show remorse for his actions. If he handles those things appropriately and learns a life lesson then he can rejoin his team in full next season, and work to play at the next level. If he cannot handle the commitment of revitalizing himself, then he can move on.

The ball would be in his court. Which direction does he want to go?

Sounds like a winner to me.

So first offense DUI means he gives up his license for a few months but some want him booted off the team? One game might be a little light but come on. He made a mistake and should be punished but to kick him off the team is way over board.

Well like I said, I'm not sure what I think the appropriate response is. I surely think for Roark to be dismissed from the team without any precedent or without prior warning is overly severe. I wouldn't say, however, that putting a zero-tolerance rule in effect is overboard. Then anyone "from this point on" is breaking a rule knowingly and is fully aware of the consequences.

And for the record...I think that first offense DUI charges are too light. A car is a 2-ton battering ram, complete with a tank full of gasoline. Getting into a car drunk and driving it around while you're drunk, in my opinion, is not entirely different from taking pot-shots in the air with a gun.

I agree with keeping him on the team, we cannot throw him away, BUT, I'd make it clear and very clear this will not happen again.

On a sidenote why do people do such stupid things? When ever I see something like this it makes me think of Larry Mahoney.

My point exactly.

A car is a 2-ton battering ram, complete with a tank full of gasoline. Getting into a car drunk and driving it around while you're drunk, in my opinion, is not entirely different from taking pot-shots in the air with a gun.

I

On a sidenote why do people do such stupid things? When ever I see something like this it makes me think of Larry Mahoney.

Speaking of Mahoney, I read this week that Holmes Coach Booher was on the bus involved in the crash and lost his best friend.

I don't have a problem with the one game suspension, particularly since it is his first incident & he's being punished in other ways. I'd imagine he'll spend a lot of time on the track running and doing extra workouts. I'd make him apologize to the team, and issue a statement apologizing to the general public through the media.

The legal system will likely suspend his license, make him pay a fine & other associated costs, and order him to some community service.

If you kick him off of the team, then what does he do? It's very possible he leaves the school (and his support system) and there's no question what happens next. Kicking a kid to the streets isn't the answer.