Any changes in opinion?

lynks66

Yes, I've changed my mind. TV told me I should hope. Now TV tells me I should fear. I am afraid. :rolleyes:

In all honesty, nobody who's considering hopping from Democrat to Republican in this election should have been surprised by ANYTHING that's happened to this point. He's done exactly what he said he'd do. Now perhaps his liberal base should be a little upset considering he's been unable to do very much on issues such as gay rights. But truthfully, if you voted for him and have somehow been surprised by what these last two years have been like... I have to wonder whether you were paying attention.

Like any candidate that ever runs, they all promise to govern from the middle and reach across party lines. In that respect a compelling argument could be made the President has not followed through. However, if you were duped in to believing he or any other candidate will deliver on that given the current divide in Washington, I don't know what to tell you. Obama was a far left guy and he continues to be one. That was not the theme of his campaign because he never would have been elected, but it was obvious what his intentions would be (good or bad) once in office.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not terribly surprised that "the majority of Americans" aren't in favor of health care reform. After all, only 45 million (or whatever the number is these days) don't have coverage - that's what - 14 percent of the population? However, sometimes you have to do the right thing, not the popular thing.

While I am somewhat disappointed (FINALLY on track to leave Iraq; have no clue about Afghanistan); given the alternatives - yes, I'd vote for him again.

How many of those 45 million choose not have to health care? How many of those 45 million are not even legal citizens? I would guess the true number that want it but can't afford it and are suppose to be in this country is less then 10%.

That's not true at all RM. You made a very blanket statement that all everyone wants a President to do is what they say they'll do.

This has zero to do with Obama. I'm simply trying to understand that statement. It seems to me that if what you said was actually the case that no matter what a candidates position on any issue was, as long as they accomplished what they said they were going to do, that should satisfy the voter, thus they should be willing to vote for them.

Now obviously, if you voted for a candidate the first time, and he followed through on most of his promises, you'd be likely to vote for him again, but if not, then why would him following through on his promises make you want to vote for them?

Whatever. You absolutely are exaggerating in your example to try and make a simple point. But, my answer now, as then, remains the same. If you want to discuss rationally, I'm here. Otherwise, I'll engage in defending my thoughts to people who don't overblow the situation.

Whatever. You absolutely are exaggerating in your example to try and make a simple point. But, my answer now, as then, remains the same. If you want to discuss rationally, I'm here. Otherwise, I'll engage in defending my thoughts to people who don't overblow the situation.

Ok, you're incorrect, but I'll rephrase my question...

Are you saying you are of the belief that as long as the President does what he promised to do, that everyone should be happy, thus willing to vote for them in a re-election bid?

I'm not terribly surprised that "the majority of Americans" aren't in favor of health care reform. After all, only 45 million (or whatever the number is these days) don't have coverage - that's what - 14 percent of the population? However, sometimes you have to do the right thing, not the popular thing.

While I am somewhat disappointed (FINALLY on track to leave Iraq; have no clue about Afghanistan); given the alternatives - yes, I'd vote for him again.

So the right thing is to make sure the Government demands that you have health insurance or you're fined...yes. I see where you are coming from....

Better option is a matter of opinion. I strictly vote my party line and in my personal opinion there is no better choice than the next available Democrat.
And that's what is wrong with America....party line voting for the sake of the party. I'll admit I've yet to vote Democrat for president but that's because thus far they haven't given me a candidate that falls in line with my core values. If they ever do, I'd have no problem voting for them though just as I've done in State and local elections in the past.

And that's what is wrong with America....party line voting for the sake of the party. I'll admit I've yet to vote Democrat for president but that's because thus far they haven't given me a candidate that falls in line with my core values. If they ever do, I'd have no problem voting for them though just as I've done in State and local elections in the past.

I agree with you on this one.

Well said. :thumb:

Exactly.

That's exactly what I wanted to say when I first read that post but I couldn't come up with the proper wording. Well done.

Very well said.

That's completely absurd. You've never voted for a Democrat because you've never seen a Democrat that agrees with your core values. That's perfectly than valid, but it's because you're on the other side. You've never voted Democrat because you're not a Democrat. To suggest it's because you've never found a particular Democrat that is in line with your core principles is misleading. You're correct, you've never found a Democrat in a national election that runs on a conservative platform. That's because they're not conservatives.

It's like a liberal saying he'd vote Republican if one ever came along that favored universal healthcare, increased gun control, gay rights and was pro-choice. It's just not happening.

Everyone loves bipartisanship so long as it's their ideas everyone's agreeing with.

I've voted for 3 Republicans for President . Barry Goldwater , God forgive me Richard Nixon and Gerald Ford . The first two was when I was young and dumb no regrets about voting for Ford .