Reds Hot Stove League for 2011

The team that they built could not beat good teams. They could beat up on the bad teams. It was good enough to make the playoffs but nothing more. I want the team to take the next step. That's what I was alluding to. I'd trade Francisco and a couple prospects probably even one of the pitchers for an outfield bat. Locking up the the key assets of the team is a good first step. I love the Bruce contract.

Give Mr. Jocketty a chance will you. It is a luxury to have the talent we have in the minors. I have a lot of confidence that they will make some good decisions in the future.

• Replies 425
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like that we brought Cairo back, but I don't think he improves the club much. If (when?) Scott Rolen goes down, we need a 3rd baseman. I don't think Cairo, nor Francisco, can fill in regularly.

How much money did the Rockies give Ty Wiggington? I saw a headline that Jeff Keppinger may be available. He'd be a decent option, IMO.

But does he hurt the club? Please give Walt a chance will you.

^ That sounds good to me but they need to be careful back loading all these contracts when they all get into the last year it's going to be eating a large amount of the payroll.

If the team does well and attendence jumps up to 2.5m they can afford it.

But does he hurt the club? Please give Walt a chance will you.

What are you talking about? I'm a big Walt Jocketty fan, and have been since he was in St. Louis. Walt has done just about everything right during his time in Cincy.

The only move that I haven't liked is playing Alex Gonzalez over Paul Janish. :lol:

Details about Arroyo's deferred contract:

For all the money getting spent this off-season, deferred salary is all the rage.

Recent free-agent signings by the Dodgers, White Sox and Cubs included deferred money, and the Reds’ three-year, $35 million extension of right-hander Bronson Arroyo was particularly unique.

Arroyo will receive $6.5 million in 2011 and $7 million in ’12, according to contract information obtained by FOXSports.com. His 2013 salary is $18 million, but all but $3 million will be deferred without interest.

The players’ union, accounting for the deferrals, says the present-day value of Arroyo’s deal is $28.9 million. The Reds did not award Arroyo a no-trade clause, but his deferral will be voided if he is traded, meaning he would get all of his money up front.

Thus, Arroyo effectively received no-trade protection; it’s extremely doubtful any club would be willing to pay him in $18 million in ’13. He also will gain the right to block any deal next season as a player with 10 years of major-league service, five with the same club.

Arroyo, 33, accepted the deferrals because of his desire to stay in Cincinnati, according to a source close to him. He and former Reds right-hander Aaron Harang also restructured their contracts before the start of last season, giving the club additional financial flexibility, a second source said.

Third baseman Scott Rolen did the same thing when he signed a two-year, $13 million extension in Dec. 2009. Right fielder Jay Bruce’s new six-year, $51 million contract does not include deferrals, the second source said.

Bruce’s terms are similar to those that the Diamondbacks awarded right fielder Justin Upton last March, but actually amount to a better deal for the club.

Bruce’s contract includes four arbitration years and two free-agent years. Upton’s deal covers a less lucrative time frame - his final non-arbitration year, plus three arbitration years and two free-agent years.

-Ken Rosenthal

http://mlbbuzz.yardbarker.com/blog/mlbbuzz/details_of_arroyos_deferrals/3773788

• 4 weeks later...
^I'd like it. Platoon him with Gomes. Definitely better option than going solely with Gomes.

Hermida would be a decent choice. He was a high draft choice & the rumor is that the Reds would sign him to a minor league deal.

If it's a major league deal, I'd prefer Podsednik or Fred Lewis.