Reds Hot Stove League for 2011

• Replies 425
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wouldn't even mind the Reds trying to pull a deal for Justin Upton to be the left fielder. He has to be better than Gomes.. And they do have pieces to trade. Trade Francisco, Hiesey, a pitcher.. Ellsbury wouldn't be a bad player to ask about either. A utility infielder like Keppinger would be a welcomed addition by me as well haha

Mo Egger was discussing Votto's potential deal yesterday. He posed a very legitimate question, basically asking, "If the Reds sign Votto to a long-term deal, are fans willing to pick up the tab?" Because, after all, raised ticket/concession prices is where the money will come from.

Personally, I would go to probably 10 times more games if they would make a move for a player like Grienke, Elsbury, Upton, etc.. I'm sure that I wouldn't be the only one to increase the number of games they went to.

Why do you want them to overpay for those guys? Because that's what they'd have to do to bring any into Cincy.

I wouldn't even mind the Reds trying to pull a deal for Justin Upton to be the left fielder. He has to be better than Gomes.. And they do have pieces to trade. Trade Francisco, Hiesey, a pitcher.. Ellsbury wouldn't be a bad player to ask about either. A utility infielder like Keppinger would be a welcomed addition by me as well haha
Francisco and Heisey wouldn't be the centerpiece of any deal for Upton ... that's going to require at least one of the good young pitchers.

http://cincinnati.com/blogs/reds/

“His agent tried to get a long-term deal before Jay ever made the big leagues,” Jocketty said. “He’s always been willing to negotiate.”

Jocketty wouldn’t go into details on the deal. But it’s safe to assume that salary for 2011 is less than Bruce would have gotten through arbitration.

Jocketty said the deal will not affect talks with Joey Votto. The Reds met with Votto’s agent at the Winter Meetings.

“They weren’t ready to talk numbers,” Jocketty said. “Hopefully, we’ll talk again next week.”

The Reds also had preliminary discussions with Johnny Cueto on a longterm deal. Cueto, like Votto and Bruce, is eligible for arbitration.