Pony Express (SMU '81) vs Fast and Furious (Alabama '10) better RB Duo?

Jumper_Dad

Which Duo is better?  

8 members have voted

1. 1. Which Duo is better?

• Dickerson and James (SMU '81) Pony Express
    • Ingram and Richardson (Bama '10) Fast and Furious

Don't necessarily like the Fast and Furious name CBS is putting on Richardson and Ingram. However all of the talk about how great a duo they are got me to thinking about another great duo from the past.

SMU's Pony Express. Eric Dickerson and Craig James (yes that Craig James, for the younger crowd) combined for 2,575 rushing yards and 27 touchdowns, making the Pony Express one of the most feared offensive machines in college football.

Who's better, Pony Express or Fast and Furious?

For all of my young friends on BGP, you might want to research the PE in 1981 before you automatically crown the Bama Boys as the better duo.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was to young to remember the Express although I know of them. I think McFadden and Jones were better than the "Fast and the Furious". I love watching this Bama team play. They are PHYSICAL! Those two can definatly tote the rock!

Don't necessarily like the Fast and Furious name CBS is putting on Richardson and Ingram. However all of the talk about how great a duo they are got me to thinking about another great duo from the past.

SMU's Pony Express. Eric Dickerson and Craig James (yes that Craig James, for the younger crowd) combined for 2,575 rushing yards and 27 touchdowns, making the Pony Express one of the most feared offensive machines in college football.

Who's better, Pony Express or Fast and Furious?

For all of my young friends on BGP, you might want to research the PE in 1981 before you automatically crown the Bama Boys as the better duo.

Those are nice stats...but what kind of teams did they put those numbers up against?

Through 5 games Bama's duo has put up 936 total yards and 11 touchdowns...and 3 of their opponents have been ranked.

^^^^

It was the old Southwest Conf. Some of these teams were much different than the teams we know today.

1 Sept. 5 Texas-Arlington Win 48 0

2 Sept. 12 North Texas Win 34 7

3 Sept. 19 Grambling State Win 59 27

4 Sept. 26 @ Texas Christian Win 20 9

5 Oct. 10 Baylor Win 37 20

6 Oct. 17 @ Houston Win 38 22

7 Oct. 24 Texas Loss 7 9

8 Oct. 31 @ Texas A&M Win 27 7

9 Nov. 7 Rice Win 33 12

10 Nov. 14 Texas Tech Win 30 6

11 Nov. 21 @ Arkansas Win 32 18

^^^^

It was the old Southwest Conf. Some of these teams were much different than the teams we know today.

1 Sept. 5 Texas-Arlington Win 48 0 6-5

2 Sept. 12 North Texas Win 34 7 2-9

3 Sept. 19 Grambling State Win 59 27 0-1 (1A)

4 Sept. 26 @ Texas Christian Win 20 9 2-7-2

5 Oct. 10 Baylor Win 37 20 5-6

6 Oct. 17 @ Houston Win 38 22 7-4-1

7 Oct. 24 Texas Loss 7 9 10-1-1

8 Oct. 31 @ Texas A&M Win 27 7 7-5

9 Nov. 7 Rice Win 33 12 4-7

10 Nov. 14 Texas Tech Win 30 6 1-9-1

11 Nov. 21 @ Arkansas Win 32 18 8-4

I think 5 out of 11 teams would be considered bowl eligible.

Eric Dickerson is probably the best player of the four but both of Bama's backs are better than Craig James.
I agree with you, but James was a different type back than the other three. He was VERY effective as a change of pace from Dickerson, James was a very nice RB on his own, probably much better in college than the memories from the NFL allow people to remember.

From James' Patriot's Bio...

ranked sixth in the nation in punting with a 44.9 average, best in the SWC...as a junior, became the first player in 21 years to be named to two positions on the All SWC team...was one punt shy of the minimum of 100 or he would have moved into the NCAA's career top 10...became team's punter midway through junior year....his best rushing season in terms of statistics came in 1981, with 1,147 yards, second best in league behind Dickerson...in his four season, finished third, second, fifth and sixth among the league's top rushers...in 1981, he and Dickerson became the fifth pair of backs in NCAA history to average 100 yards a game on the same team...rushed for 896 yards in 1980...in the 1980 Holiday Bowl Game (one of the best Games I ever saw) was the co-MVP with Brigham Young QB Jim McMahon as he rushed for 225 yards on 23 carries and scored three TDs.

Read more at: http://www.patriots.com/alumni/index.cfm?ac=alumnibiosdetail&bio=3073&cp

Mark is a Junior and Trent is a Sophomore, are we comparing Eric/Craig as Seniors?
Doesn't matter, compare how ever you like. Both pairs of RB's are dynamic, and both actually split the carries somewhat between them. I think Ingram and Richardson are the best 1-2 punch at RB I have seen since well....the Express in early 80's.

Most 1-2 RB combos are on the field together in option offenses or are RB and FB. I think it is much easier when they are on the field at the same time as it is harder for the D to know who to key on. With these two pairs they rarely if ever are on the field together and thus draw 100% of the Defensive attention.

I have not voted yet as I haven't really decided which I think is better. I have put more info up on Dickerson and James as most BGPers are not as familiar with them as they are the BAMA dynamic duo.

I am going with the Pony Express. I think that Alabama's duo is a good one as well. It is very close for me, but Dickerson was considerably better than the other three backs, IMO, and James was still a very good back. This is hard, because I don't want to denegrate the Alabama dua at all- they are dynamic and the best in the game right now.

Yeah, yeah, yeah I know I wasn't alive for the Pony Express but I will take Ingram and Richardson over them. Dickerson was the best of the bunch, but this is a duo comparison.

Some other RB duos that compare I think are Run-DMC and Jones, and what about the Cadillac and Ronnie Brown at Auburn? People forget about them because they have fallen off in the NFL and not lived up to expectations. But Ingram and Richardson will go down as the best I think.