Hartline

Wildcat Dad

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hartline absolutely played terrible, but the play calling was horrible too. No vertical stuff early. No miss-direction, screens etc...

I agree 100%. It's hard to beat the UFs of the world attacking horizontally every play. Looked like UK went with alot of outside runs and the quick game is really of little use against UF unless you have a run game and a deep passing game going because they just jump every underneath throw. To me UF's weakest links (if you could even call them that) are their DTs and thier LBs, I'd go off-tackle and power runs until the cows come home. They are also having a little bit of troubel with misdirection, probably because of their youth. They jump quick throws so how about some double move routes? How about some play-action passes? I don't remember any of those.

I have to watch alot of UF games, and I get sick of seeing teams try the same crap game in and game out that just doesn't work against them. They're really good, so nothing is going to work perfectly against them, but I think they've always thrived defensively on killing teams that try to play the horizontal and safe game with them.

You have nothing to base that on. Joker went into super-conservative mode last year with Newton and we've NEVER watch Moss play yet.

If UK is simply playing for the Music City Bowl then maybe Hartline is the way to go. If they're trying to move up in the SEC over the next few years you have to go NOW with one of the two youngsters.

Even if UK only beats the crappy directional team that is left on their schedule I'd rather go with the young guys. This UK team has alot of holes, I'd try and build for the future as well as try to win games. At some point Moss has to play, just to see what he can do against SEC competition.

Cmon fans give the guy a break. I really don't think that we can blame this loss on his shoulders or his two passes. He has a bad game and fans are calling for a replacement. You know I can remember when this one coach we has has a few terrible seasons but know a lot of fans think the world of him. By the way I am speaking of Coach Brooks. Fans just sit back and watch the team. And personally with the exception of a couple players I think the team played bad, but I am not ready to write them off.

Simply put, Hartline doesn't have the arm strength to throw long. Any completion over 15 yards, the receiver has to come back or make an adjustment for. Good teams know this and have the athletes to cover our receivers and let Hartline throw long all day, should Joker want to attempt it. Otherwise, they will stack up on the run and take away the short pass.

Give Mossakowski a shot since he is supposed to have the most accurate arm. Newton has a strong arm but is not accurate.

Once again, most of this thread is a reinforcement why fans are fans and coaches are coaches. Now, i'm in no way saying Hartline is great - because he is far from that, but its not like Joker is playing him because he likes him more on a personal level or his mom makes the best brownies for the bus ride...he has been with these guys for 1 1/2 seasons and he obviously believes he is their best option.

While I would love to see the backups playing, I think the fact Hartline still has the job says more about those two not seizing the opportunity. Joker and Hartline would both probably tell you he is nowhere near as talented as the guys behind him.

We haven't seen Mossakowski, so I don't know what UK has in him. But, I'll be honest, I wasn't terribly impressed with Morgan Newton last year. I know he was a true freshman, but I was expecting to see a little more upside.

I think Hartline has looked better this season, and I'm not reading too much into the Florida game. From a talent perspective, we're up against it in the Swamp. Going forward is most important and playing well against teams that I feel we can match up with for the most part.

We haven't seen Mossakowski, so I don't know what UK has in him. But, I'll be honest, I wasn't terribly impressed with Morgan Newton last year. I know he was a true freshman, but I was expecting to see a little more upside.

I think Hartline has looked better this season, and I'm not reading too much into the Florida game. From a talent perspective, we're up against it in the Swamp. Going forward is most important and playing well against teams that I feel we can match up with for the most part.

Talent perspective, what are you talking about? If UK had played one good team before the Florida game we wouldn't be having this discussion.:lol::deadhorse:

And attitudes like that are why UK will always be a bottom-feeder in football.

You're like a broken record.

In his career, he has starts against Florida, Alabama, South Carolina, Tennessee, Georgia, Vanderbilt, Miss State, Louisville, and Arkansas. And you're going to act like playing Iowa State this year would have made a difference.

That's ok, keep on hating.

Talent perspective, what are you talking about? If UK had played one good team before the Florida game we wouldn't be having this discussion.:lol::deadhorse:

And, I feel really good going forward now that we've played Florida. Nobody else on our schedule can match their talent level, so we'll be well prepared to face the rest of the schedule. 11-1? Maybe 10-2...there could be one letdown the rest of the way.

Simply put, Hartline doesn't have the arm strength to throw long. Any completion over 15 yards, the receiver has to come back or make an adjustment for. Good teams know this and have the athletes to cover our receivers and let Hartline throw long all day, should Joker want to attempt it. Otherwise, they will stack up on the run and take away the short pass.

Give Mossakowski a shot since he is supposed to have the most accurate arm. Newton has a strong arm but is not accurate.

Did you watch the Florida game? His long throws were great. It was teh short stuff that got him in trouble.

Did you see how Matthews came back on the TD pass? Throwing the long pass all night long is not going to be effective, but I would have liked to have seen some double moves or play action like was mentioned.

You're like a broken record.

In his career, he has starts against Florida, Alabama, South Carolina, Tennessee, Georgia, Vanderbilt, Miss State, Louisville, and Arkansas. And you're going to act like playing Iowa State this year would have made a difference.

That's ok, keep on hating.

UK football is too pathetic to do anything but pity. But what's even more pathetic is that the Music City Bowl and similar low-rent bowls are just peachy-keen for the fan base, and that there is little demand for the program to take the necessary steps to be something more than a bottom-feeder in a good conference.