Dayton coach punches out bus window

Reality Check

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Where did you grow up?

Here's an idea of how long Dayton High has been around: John Wooden's first coaching job was there.

From Eastern Kentucky, but good grief, I've never heard of it. What region are they in? What district? I was fairly certain I had heard of at least every school in the state.

From Eastern Kentucky, but good grief, I've never heard of it. What region are they in? What district? I was fairly certain I had heard of at least every school in the state.

1A for football.

36th for basketball and baseball with Highlands, NewCath, Newport, and Bellevue.

Raceland had a basketball coach some years ago that would pull stupid stunts like this, some of his in my opinion some were worse but this is about a Dayton footbal coach. My example given was only to say that this kind of stupidity can happen anywhere and not just Dayton. I fully realize that coaches can and will lose their temper at times,that just goes along with it.

As for this paticular incident I couldn't help but think of a line by comedian Ron White used in one of his sets........."you just can't fix stupid"

Zach Deaton is a good man. However, we must all be responsible for our actions and Zach is paying the price of a three game suspension to cool his heels and re-think things.

I think the most painful thing that Coach Deaton could possibly have heard following that incident would have been, "Zach, your daddy wouldn't have been very proud of you tonight."

Knowing him that would have gotten his attention big time.

The rest of the story. Team had just lost by 50+ points. Players refusing to play for the coach, throwing helmets, talking about the coach not knowing what he is doing, and also talking about his family. The bigger picture as I see it is this coach needs to get control of his team if it is not to late. I'm not defending his actions as he definitely went to far. Apparently he and or staff also made some derogatory comments towards the players which as the adults they need to be the bigger men and keep these comments to themselves even if there is some truth to them. Dayton is a young team and these losses by large amounts may be the norm this year. The coach needs to realize this. It may be a tough pill to swallow but it is what it is. At the end of the day its not always about wins and losses but making these young teenage boys become better men. The players on the other hand need to realize this isn't pee wee ball anymore and you can't act like a child when things don't go your way. Work harder and good things will come in time. Needless to say it looks like this could be a very long season for The Greendevils.

I agree with your post. I don't know this coach from Adam and don't know the whole situation. HOWEVER I believe as a coach, boss, parent you must ALWAYS try to lead by example. Sadly though some people believe because they are a leader, the same rules do not apply to them.

I wish this team the best to get past a tough situation. :thumb:

All valid points.

However, it's tough to teach discipline and self-control when your coach goes Tyson on a bus window .

True story! :lol::lol:

Zach Deaton is a good man. However, we must all be responsible for our actions and Zach is paying the price of a three game suspension to cool his heels and re-think things.

I think the most painful thing that Coach Deaton could possibly have heard following that incident would have been, "Zach, your daddy wouldn't have been very proud of you tonight."

Knowing him that would have gotten his attention big time.

Pretty classless of a post right here. It was an unfortunate incident, one that I'm sure Coach Deaton regrets, but how do you even think to bring this into play on this post? Hopefully Coach deaton doesnt have to read this riddiculous act of immaturity! If you cant tell I'm a bit disappointed!

Pretty classless of a post right here. It was an unfortunate incident, one that I'm sure Coach Deaton regrets, but how do you even think to bring this into play on this post? Hopefully Coach deaton doesnt have to read this riddiculous act of immaturity! If you cant tell I'm a bit disappointed!

I'll stand by my post. It wasn't meant to be "classless" and I don't think it came off that way.

I knew Reno Deaton for years and he took great pride in his sons accomplishments. We worked side by side for many years while his boys played for the Red Devils.

I do think he would have been disappointed in Zach's actions and I think that Zach knows it.

My point is that this simple statement would be all of the punishment/penalty needed for Zach to realize that he had made a mistake.

I'm sure he will think twice in the future.

Don't get your feathers ruffled!!!

I'll stand by my post. It wasn't meant to be "classless" and I don't think it came off that way.

I knew Reno Deaton for years and he took great pride in his sons accomplishments. We worked side by side for many years while his boys played for the Red Devils.

I do think he would have been disappointed in Zach's actions and I think that Zach knows it.

My point is that this simple statement would be all of the punishment/penalty needed for Zach to realize that he had made a mistake.

I'm sure he will think twice in the future.

Don't get your feathers ruffled!!!

I stand by your post as well. I don't think it was "classless" either. Undoubtedly he has thought about what his father would think, as we all do when we royally mess up. As others have posted, he let down his team, their parents and the entire community for giving such a poor example to the boys he is supposed to lead into becoming young men.

Sounds as if there are a lot of internal and external problems with the Green Devils. I hope they can work through these problems, and I hope they give the coach a second chance.

In defense of ChickenHawk I can see where one might think that without knowing context. If I didn't know that the poster had a relationship with both the person in question and his father then that post might give me pause. However, knowing that Mustang truly does have that relationship then the post is acceptable and I bet Coach Deaton would agree.

In defense of ChickenHawk I can see where one might think that without knowing context. If I didn't know that the poster had a relationship with both the person in question and his father then that post might give me pause. However, knowing that Mustang truly does have that relationship then the post is acceptable and I bet Coach Deaton would agree.

I don't know. Seems a little over the top in a public forum, where unlike Mustang not many people have any knowledge of relationships that make the statement valid. Whether accurate or not I don't appreciate an adult being called out in a public forum referencing what his father would have said. Too personal for me.