Focusing on one sport????

It depends SHE really wants fo focus on. If she wants to play college softball then it's probably time to focus on one sport. However, she better be really good already.
I agree. To me it depends on if your child really wants to play at the college level in the sport of her passion. If so by the Freshman year IMO you really need to already be focused in on that goal. If she doesn't have aspirations of playing at the college level then play as many sports as she is interested in and just have a great high school experience.

It is still posssible to play multiple sports in high school and focus on just one in college. There are many basketball players (who also play soccer) in Kentucky who will play basketball or soccer in college. Since most college soccer showcases are played in November and December, these girls can get exposure to college coaches and then concentrate on high school basketball.

I am not that familiar with the fast pitch softball schedule. Is it year - around? When is the "club" season?

It is still posssible to play multiple sports in high school and focus on just one in college. There are many basketball players (who also play soccer) in Kentucky who will play basketball or soccer in college. Since most college soccer showcases are played in November and December, these girls can get exposure to college coaches and then concentrate on high school basketball.

I am not that familiar with the fast pitch softball schedule. Is it year - around? When is the "club" season?

Fastpitch would interfere with AAU. I think her passion is basketball and I am hoping after this season she will stick with it. I don't want to push her to hard but just want to guide her in the right direction. I hear pros and cons on concentrating on one sport. She actually quit fastpitch a few years ago because of the conflict.

When my daughter was in high school, she played 2 sports, basketball and soccer. And she did well in both sports. However, she made the decision in the spring time to play select soccer, on a very good select soccer team. There was a point for me as well, where I really wanted her to play just soccer. However, she loved both sports. And I know that she would have regretted not playing high school basketball. And she will always have those high school basketball memories to cherish.

It is hard to reach your full potential if you are playing two sports. It is almost impossible to reach it if you are playing three. That being said, I have never told one of my players that they should not be involved in other sports. But deep inside, I hate soccer.

My daughter is going to sign a D1 letter of intent to play basketball this fall. She played volleyball her entire career and is playing again her senior year. High school volleyball starts in mid July and runs right up to basketball season. There were times I wish she would focus just on basketball because that is her passion though she is a very gifted volleyball player as well. She worked very hard in the off season on her basketball skills and played summer basketball right up through this summer to gain the exposure that she needed for college recruiting and to improve her skills. We were very up front with the volleyball coach and she knew that basketball would come first in July and she was wonderful to work with. My daughter commited to working the best she could on shooting and her strength throughout volleyball. The college coaches were very supportive of her playing two sports and have come to numerous volleyball games to watch her and support her. She was very dedicated to her volleyball team and would not think of quitting volleyball to focus just on basketball. It may not be the recipe that works for everyone, but it has worked well for my daughter.

Papabear, I have been following basketball since the late 1950's and covered high school and AAU basketball on my website as well as posting here for several years. I have seen the good, the bad, and the ugly behavior. Your post is an excellent "feel good" story about a group of well adjusted parents, coaches, and your daughter. Best of luck in the future and thanks for a very well written and thoughtful post.

:thumb:

Papabear, I have been following basketball since the late 1950's and covered high school and AAU basketball on my website as well as posting here for several years. I have seen the good, the bad, and the ugly behavior. Your post is an excellent "feel good" story about a group of well adjusted parents, coaches, and your daughter. Best of luck in the future and thanks for a very well written and thoughtful post.

My daughter is going to sign a D1 letter of intent to play basketball this fall. She played volleyball her entire career and is playing again her senior year. High school volleyball starts in mid July and runs right up to basketball season. There were times I wish she would focus just on basketball because that is her passion though she is a very gifted volleyball player as well. She worked very hard in the off season on her basketball skills and played summer basketball right up through this summer to gain the exposure that she needed for college recruiting and to improve her skills. We were very up front with the volleyball coach and she knew that basketball would come first in July and she was wonderful to work with. My daughter commited to working the best she could on shooting and her strength throughout volleyball. The college coaches were very supportive of her playing two sports and have come to numerous volleyball games to watch her and support her. She was very dedicated to her volleyball team and would not think of quitting volleyball to focus just on basketball. It may not be the recipe that works for everyone, but it has worked well for my daughter.

See above! It is what works for the individual. Great advice above being open with all coaches!

It is hard to reach your full potential if you are playing two sports. It is almost impossible to reach it if you are playing three. That being said, I have never told one of my players that they should not be involved in other sports. But deep inside, I hate soccer.

Amen....I have said and thought the same thing many times. I am not a huge fan of soccer either, especailly if they want a scholly- there just isn't too many of those to go around since it is not a revenue generating sport.