Braves close to trade for Derrek Lee.

Halladay, Oswalt and Hamels are as good as anyone the braves can throw out there. Blanton is okay and i'm even sure who their number 5 is because I don't follow them. Moyer maybe?

:lol: Guess you don't watch much Braves baseball then. For one Oswalt is not the same pitcher he was, and he has been very inconsistent this year. Hamels has been up and down as well. The only constant has been Halladay who is beatable. I say the Braves match very favorably against the Phillies in terms of a 3 man rotation.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How many times do you see a team in the playoffs use there full rotation? Never if your 1-3 are studs

Well, that's in the playoffs isn't it? We're talking about the chase to the end of the regular season. Their 4-5 will see plenty of work, as will their bullpen, where the Braves have a clear advantage.

Pitching is not what worries me, it's the hitting.

I'm not so worried about what they're giving up, but rather what they didn't bring in. They didn't bring in any player that I would consider worth acquiring. I certainly think the Braves have a good chance of holding off the Phillies, but I would have rather they did a little bit more than they did. Philadelphia is playing well and not even healthy yet. I just don't think these were the moves to make.

Fair enough and I can see your point. The Braves have been riddled with injuries all year as well but have held on and continued to have success throughout the year.

And they also just lost a middle of the order hitter for the season while the Phillies are getting healthy at the right time.

Atlanta is hopeful that Lee can be a middle of the order hitter for them and be productive but I don't know that i'd count on it.

Halladay, Oswalt and Hamels are as good as anyone the braves can throw out there. Blanton is okay and i'm even sure who their number 5 is because I don't follow them. Moyer maybe?

While it is a huge loss losing Chipper at this juncture, replacing him with Derrek Lee isn't a complete downgrade. Granted, Chipper's OBP for the year is .383 while Lee's is about 40-50 points lower but Lee is a good a replacement as anyone to replace a middle of the order hitter at this point in the season. Maybe if Chipper go hurt before the trade deadline where they had more options, they could of found another hitter to replace him but there isn't much available at this point. While I will say that Chipper is the better player and has the better numbers, it isn't a huge downgrade. It is a downgrade nonetheless, but it will help ease the pain/loss a bit.

As for the pitching, the Braves staff has an era roughly 0.50 runs lower than the Phillies which is significant. The Braves ERA at this time is 3.41 which puts them 2nd in the MLB in ERA right behind San Diego. The Phillies ERA is 3.92 which puts them in 13th in the MLB. Granted, this has been with only a few starts of Oswalt for the Phils but he hasn't been completely stellar this year like he has been in the past. I think, at best, the Phillies are even with Atlanta in terms of pitching but right now you have to give the nod to the Braves with the numbers they have put up all season.

They were talking on ESPN like Glaus was going to move to third. Surely to goodness they're not that stupid. If they did that and took Infante out of the lineup, I'd think even less of this than I already do.

OK, just googled it and saw that they were more indicating that he would "see time" at third, but at this point, it had better be in extreme need. I'd rather see Conrad in before Glaus.

They were talking on ESPN like Glaus was going to move to third. Surely to goodness they're not that stupid. If they did that and took Infante out of the lineup, I'd think even less of this than I already do.

OK, just googled it and saw that they were more indicating that he would "see time" at third, but at this point, it had better be in extreme need. I'd rather see Conrad in before Glaus.

Whiel Glaus has struggled as of late, he does lead the team with 70 RBIs. I think it might be best for Glaus just to see the bench for awhile and come into hit every now and then. I believe he still needs some time to recover from his injury that kept him out last year and to get his baseball legs and bat back together. Certainly by being benched, it should motivate him to continue to get back on track and compete for playing time.

Whiel Glaus has struggled as of late, he does lead the team with 70 RBIs. I think it might be best for Glaus just to see the bench for awhile and come into hit every now and then. I believe he still needs some time to recover from his injury that kept him out last year and to get his baseball legs and bat back together. Certainly by being benched, it should motivate him to continue to get back on track and compete for playing time.

Hey, with any luck, it rejuvenates him. I'm just not huge on betting on a guy that is batting .173 in the last two months. I have grown very tired of seeing McCann get on, and then Glaus hit into a double play.

Are you sure you seen it correcty? Braves already said Glaus want able to play 3rd anymore and try wouldn't put I'm in that position. They also placed Glaus on the disabled list today b

It specifically said that they'd move him to 3B when he gets off the DL. Took me by surprise.

Of course, The Network is never wrong.:rolleyes: