August 18, 201016 yr I think Nady will. I think the whole purpose of moving Zambrano back into the rotation was to showcase him for an offseason trade. The Cubs will be sellers in the offseason without a doubt. I'm ready to give the young'uns a try. Me to after the way this season has ended up turning out. Covin and Castro look very good. Plus, Harden, Lilly, and Theriot have already been dealt. I say hold on to Byrd, Soriano, Soto, Castro, and Colvin and put a for sale sign on everyone else.
August 18, 201016 yr Def keep Byrd but I'd like to see Soriano dealt as well. We got some good young talent, let's keep them, blow up the rest and try some new free agents
August 18, 201016 yr Def keep Byrd but I'd like to see Soriano dealt as well. We got some good young talent, let's keep them, blow up the rest and try some new free agents In a way I would too, but with his contract it is going to be hard to move him. As inconsistent as Soriano is it would not be that huge of a loss, but on the otherhand he is more less the only super star type left on the team, and is still fairly young by baseball standards. If they can get good value for him and actually find someone willing to take his contract then I would not be against it, but I think moving forward he would be a good piece of the puzzle to leave on the table.
August 18, 201016 yr Another trade that would make me throw up a little bit. I have not been impressed by the Braves moves this season AT ALL. Gonzalez has lost them as many games as he's helped win and Ankiel has been (predictably) underwhelming. The only positive is that Glaus has gone in the tank lately, so hopefully Lee couldn't be worse. But I do not expect this to really be much of a help at all, and as such is a waste o' money. I agree not much of a help. Well the Braves are still leading their division aren't they? They have the 2nd best record in the NL, just barely behind the Padres so obviously the team and management are doing something right. Glaus has been up and down this year and is starting back down the latter currently so I like this moves. Lee has batted .300 for the past 3 seasons so you know he has the talent there. Everyone has bad seasons from time to time, thats baseball. But I think with Lee in a new environment and apart of a division leading team, it might re-energize him and his play and we could see the talent that he has displayed over the years. Overall, I like the move and it gives the Braves a good bat.
August 18, 201016 yr I have always been a huge fan of Derrek Lee both on and off the field, BUT please, please, please let this go through! I'm with Scribe, blow this team up and start from scratch, preferably starting with the GM's office. Edit, it is a done deal. Lee will debut with the Braves on Friday at Wrigley--how weird!
August 18, 201016 yr Well the Braves are still leading their division aren't they? They have the 2nd best record in the NL, just barely behind the Padres so obviously the team and management are doing something right. Glaus has been up and down this year and is starting back down the latter currently so I like this moves. Lee has batted .300 for the past 3 seasons so you know he has the talent there. Everyone has bad seasons from time to time, thats baseball. But I think with Lee in a new environment and apart of a division leading team, it might re-energize him and his play and we could see the talent that he has displayed over the years. Overall, I like the move and it gives the Braves a good bat. The Braves are leading the division on the strength of other players. The gap between them and Philly has actually closed considerably since they started making trades. Glaus is on the downswing, so as I said, Lee should hopefully not be worse. But I have a tough time seeing him as that much of an upgrade at this point.
August 18, 201016 yr As a Cubs fan I kind of hate to see Lee go, but I was talking with someone the other day that with the young guys like Colvin and Castro proving good, that guys like Lee and Ramirez need to be shipped in order to start the rebuilding process. I know I've said this a bunch, but it is one thing that absolutely kills me, Jim Hendry could have traded D Lee for Adrian Gonzalez two or three years ago and passed on the offer, since then Lee has been on a steady decline and Gonzalez has continued to be one of the better hitters in baseball. Not trying to turn this into a Reds discussion by any means, but what you say that is similar to what they did with Dunn and Griffey?
August 18, 201016 yr The Braves are leading the division on the strength of other players. The gap between them and Philly has actually closed considerably since they started making trades. Glaus is on the downswing, so as I said, Lee should hopefully not be worse. But I have a tough time seeing him as that much of an upgrade at this point. The only major trade they made in terms of giving up a good player was the Alex Gonzalez deal which they only made because Escobar wasn't listening to the coaching staff and was causing problems in the clubhouse because of it. All the other acquisitions they gave up some average prospects (like in this deal). Odds are the Braves will close this division out when its all said and done because they have the better pitching staff and relievers as compared to the Phillies.
August 19, 201016 yr The only major trade they made in terms of giving up a good player was the Alex Gonzalez deal which they only made because Escobar wasn't listening to the coaching staff and was causing problems in the clubhouse because of it. All the other acquisitions they gave up some average prospects (like in this deal). Odds are the Braves will close this division out when its all said and done because they have the better pitching staff and relievers as compared to the Phillies. And they also just lost a middle of the order hitter for the season while the Phillies are getting healthy at the right time. Atlanta is hopeful that Lee can be a middle of the order hitter for them and be productive but I don't know that i'd count on it. Halladay, Oswalt and Hamels are as good as anyone the braves can throw out there. Blanton is okay and i'm even sure who their number 5 is because I don't follow them. Moyer maybe?
August 19, 201016 yr Move Glaus to 3rd, D. Lee to first. Lee still has a little left in the tank! If the Braves play Glauss at 3rd I'm bunting down the 3rd baseline all night long if I'm the opposing manager.
August 19, 201016 yr Not trying to turn this into a Reds discussion by any means, but what you say that is similar to what they did with Dunn and Griffey? Pretty much. Both good players who are veteran leaders in the clubhouse, but also two players who are getting older and eating a lot of salary. Since the Lee trade went through that is one down, even though I really hate to see him go. For the future sake of the team though it is for the best, I just hope all of the prospects the Cubs have got in return in deals this year pan out.
August 19, 201016 yr The only major trade they made in terms of giving up a good player was the Alex Gonzalez deal which they only made because Escobar wasn't listening to the coaching staff and was causing problems in the clubhouse because of it. All the other acquisitions they gave up some average prospects (like in this deal). Odds are the Braves will close this division out when its all said and done because they have the better pitching staff and relievers as compared to the Phillies. I'm not so worried about what they're giving up, but rather what they didn't bring in. They didn't bring in any player that I would consider worth acquiring. I certainly think the Braves have a good chance of holding off the Phillies, but I would have rather they did a little bit more than they did. Philadelphia is playing well and not even healthy yet. I just don't think these were the moves to make.
August 19, 201016 yr And they also just lost a middle of the order hitter for the season while the Phillies are getting healthy at the right time. Atlanta is hopeful that Lee can be a middle of the order hitter for them and be productive but I don't know that i'd count on it. Halladay, Oswalt and Hamels are as good as anyone the braves can throw out there. Blanton is okay and i'm even sure who their number 5 is because I don't follow them. Moyer maybe? 1 through 3 the Phillies are probably better, though I don't think it would be by as much as you think. But 1-5 they're not, and the entire staff, counting the relievers, it's not even close.
August 19, 201016 yr How many times do you see a team in the playoffs use there full rotation? Never if your 1-3 are studs
August 19, 201016 yr Author Here's my take on the trade. No, it wasn't a massive trade but the Braves gave up basically nothing for him and the Cubs are paying half the salary. IMO he's worth the risk considering Troy's struggles over the past couple of months. Braves needed some depth at 1B anyways, maybe the rest will help Glaus down the stretch. Braves are hoping that Lee can provide some power and hit a stride over the course of the next month or two. If he can get a streak going then the Braves will be dangerous to pass in the East, but if he struggles then the Braves will have no "middle of the order" bat in the lineup that can provide power consistently. In the end though I think it was well worth the risk for the Braves and I'm glad they are at least making moves that can give them a chance to win. Plus it's not like this is before the trade deadline teams can't just trade for anyone now so I think the Braves made a good move here.
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.