Heat Index on Friday

Ed

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's 105 right now in Greenup, according to the Weather Channel App on my iPhone.

Yea, but 100 at 10pm? I was out in it all day yesterday, and if it was 100 at 10pm then it must have been 220 at 4pm.

Yea, but 100 at 10pm? I was out in it all day yesterday, and if it was 100 at 10pm then it must have been 220 at 4pm.

I'm not sure of the heat index at that time, but it was 90 degrees at my house at 11:00 pm last night and very humid. I woke back up at 1:30 am and it was only down to a temperature of 85 degrees.

I'd say that a heat index of 100 at 10 pm could be quite accurate.

I would hope that the school systems would take into account that a lot of folks will be driving considerable distances to these scrimmages and not pull the plug at the very last minute.

It's not like there would be some type of unforeseen cold front blow through at 7pm somewhere.

If the boys can play safely then let's play and if they can't then pull the plug a few hours before scrimmage time.

I'm also curious how many programs out there have gone full contact, full pads the past couple of days ?

Channel 9 (WCPO) reported that Shelbyville,Ky football team players are wearing small patches on their wrist that detect early symtoms of heat stroke. The patches are very inexpensive at 50 cents each. The patches are dark until the patches turn a light color when body over heating may be on coming.

If this patch actually works , there is no reason that every team should not be wearing them. It sounds like it could save many lives at a very low cost!! Somebody came up with the best idea yet of helping to prevent heat related injuries or death to HS football players.

Channel 9 (WCPO) reported that Shelbyville,Ky football team players are wearing small patches on their wrist that detect early symtoms of heat stroke. The patches are very inexpensive at 50 cents each. The patches are dark until the patches turn a light color when body over heating may be on coming.

If this patch actually works , there is no reason that every team should not be wearing them. It sounds like it could save many lives at a very low cost!! Somebody came up with the best idea yet of helping to prevent heat related injuries or death to HS football players.

The dots (made by a Ky. company -- IONX) are not ready for mass-production yet. They are in 'test-marketing' stage.

They really do work (I tried one on myself at a coaches clinic last February).

Once they get on the market, I agree, they'll be on every kid in every sport (especially football) every summer. Can really help coaches identify that kid who's in heat distress due to things the coach would have no idea about (like the kid being ill that day, adverse reactions to prescription or illicit drugs, etc.).

One neat thing about them is they are FABRIC and can even have ads PRINTED on them. Meaning, the cost of them can be SUBSIDIZED by a smart, PR-driven company (like hospital corporations, physical therapy outfits, etc.) who wants their logo on the dots. Imagine the free press they'll get on the friday night highlight shows!

I know this goes without saying but we see it happen each and every Friday scrimmage night and first of the season games. Have the kids start drinking extra fluids starting today to prepare for tomorrow night. It will feel 'extra' hot. Combine that with the increased adrenaline of a first scrimmage and the cramping and puking (apologies) begins. Talk to your player today and get him prepared. Remind your sons and players to keep drinking fluids. Honestly, you would be amazed at what a little extra water can do!