Heat Index on Friday

Ed

Has any teams been practicing after school this week, outside? Jessamine County hasn't allowed it's teams outside much at all.

Yes there are teams in full pads with full contact. I will not name names.

Do I think it is putting the kids in harms way. Doubtful.

Do I think it's poor judgment. Absolutely.

What bothers me the most is that the KHSAA index rules are pushed to the very edge of compliance.

I would think that for the health of the kids and the exposure that this issue has in the media and with parents that a conservative approach might be the way to go.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not sure of the heat index at that time, but it was 90 degrees at my house at 11:00 pm last night and very humid. I woke back up at 1:30 am and it was only down to a temperature of 85 degrees.

I'd say that a heat index of 100 at 10 pm could be quite accurate.

Yesterday morning at 5am in Louisville, the heat index was 91. I can only imagine what it was like at 10pm on Tuesday night. It was flat out MISERABLE out yesterday morning. MISERABLE I SAY!

We practiced same amount of time as usual. But we have an 'inside plan' and put it into effect Tuesday and Wednesday this week. There are some things you just can't do in a gym, but with some pre-planning, you can schedule other things you CAN do and need to do, but often don't because you've got space outside to do more 11on11.

I have been VERY proud of our kids and coaches for rolling with the changes this week and getting a lot done with no complaining. Missed not having the 11on11 time like usual, but really felt like we had two VERY productive days of practice despite the heat.

Yea, but 100 at 10pm? I was out in it all day yesterday, and if it was 100 at 10pm then it must have been 220 at 4pm.

I forgot to say that it was on the ch. 41 news out of Louisville. They quoted the heat index at 102, and this news show comes on at 10:00 EST.

Say hi to the Rockson for me! :D And, enjoy the relative chilliness over there. :lol:

I didn't realize he was still here. I though he had already moved back. I hope he is staying cool some where, I had to run an errand on lunch and just about melted.

How sad is this? Saw a high school team practicing yesterday in shorts, t-shirt and helmets. Five minutes later while driving see 8-9 year olds in full gear practicing. My car said 93 degrees. Think there is a problem here? Parents, youth coaches get a clue.