Heat Index on Friday

Ed

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just wondering but do they take the temperature at the field or what?

A turf field will be 10/15 maybe even 20 degrees hotter than a grass field and will take much longer to cool down, so do they take that into consideration when talking about the heat index?

Just wondering but do they take the temperature at the field or what?

A turf field will be 10/15 maybe even 20 degrees hotter than a grass field and will take much longer to cool down, so do they take that into consideration when talking about the heat index?

Good question TOG. I have heard the trainer takes an actual gage..not sure if this is a special device that he sticks into the turf and measures the

temperature of the field. and yes, artifical grass takes much longer to cool down. I don't know how the heat index factors into the field temp. Maybe we can appeal

to our fellow experts/trainers on board here to give is an idea of the process.

The KHSAA regs state that the heat index is to be tested 30 minutes prior to the workout at the site in question.

Here is the type of device that many schools are using to measure the heat index.

Amprobe THWD-2

Digital Sling Psychrometer

* Perfect for checking ambient air conditions in an HVAC environment

* Temperature readings

* Relative Humidity measurement

* Dew Point and Wet Bulb readings

* MAX/MIN with Time Stamp

* Selectable °C and °F readout

* Data Hold Function (99 readings from LCD display)

* Dual LCD Display with Bargraph indication

* Auto Power Off

Click here for a larger image of the Amprobe THWD-2!Click here for larger image

As of 1:30, temperature in Cincinnati is 90 and the heat index is at 97. It seems to be a little cooler than originally predicted. I am sure it will heat up more as the afternoon wears on, but as of now the heat is actually lower than it has been for two a days over the past couple of weeks.

As of 1:30, temperature in Cincinnati is 90 and the heat index is at 97. It seems to be a little cooler than originally predicted. I am sure it will heat up more as the afternoon wears on, but as of now the heat is actually lower than it has been for two a days over the past couple of weeks.

Finally some good news!

Channel 9 (WCPO) reported that Shelbyville,Ky football team players are wearing small patches on their wrist that detect early symtoms of heat stroke. The patches are very inexpensive at 50 cents each. The patches are dark until the patches turn a light color when body over heating may be on coming.

If this patch actually works , there is no reason that every team should not be wearing them. It sounds like it could save many lives at a very low cost!! Somebody came up with the best idea yet of helping to prevent heat related injuries or death to HS football players.

I was thinking the same thing as you, .50 is very inexpensive, however if you think say 1 1/2 months worth for lets say 100 football players (freshman, JV, Varsity) and lets add soccer and middle school football this could cost a lot of money. I guess what I am not sure about is, are these patches a one time use or can they be used over? If they can be used over and over again than there is no reason why any athlete does not have them on however, if they are a one time use thing it could be expensive.