Kentucky Hoopfest AAU tourney in Louisville

NKY Heat 16U opened the tournament with a 10-point win over the Tennessee Tigers. Ja'Keith Pitts (Holmes) had a great game shooting 100% from 3-point range with three 3's and having 15 points overall and several assists. His quickness and court vision is a definite asset to this team. Dontel Rice (Holmes) chipped in with about 10 points. Tate Mullins (Ryle), Tyler Bray (Lloyd), Dylan James (Ryle), Keenan Palmer (Boone), and Charles Knox (Holmes) played very well. NKY Heat is playing without their big man 6'6 JR Doss from Simon Kenton this weekend. This was a great defensive game for the Heat, holding the Tigers to only 13 points for most of the first half. They have a big test tomorrow against Indiana Elite One.

Who is Tyler Bray and when did he go to Lloyd?

The NKY Bulldogs were eliminated in an overtime loss to Progeny in the final 13 of the gold bracket. The Bulldogs had an excellent showing this week and garnered a tremendous amount of attention for their players. Tyler Hodges, Bobby Stauffer, Robbie Barber, Travis Montgomery, Jack Stewart, Jacob Flesch, Matt Trammel, Todd Vollet, & Chris Hayes all played well and were asked about in different games.

Who is Tyler Bray and when did he go to Lloyd?

He was at Ryle but just moved into Lloyd district and is enrolled there and will be there next year. I believe he has been going to some open gyms. Tyler is extremely athletic. He is 6'3 and won the dunk competition at grand nationals in Cleveland a few weeks ago. The final dunk that won it was Tyler jumping over his 6'6 teammate in the lane and dunking it. Truly unbelieveable dunk. The whole gym rushed the floor after that dunk! He played great most of the weekend and got a lot of attention. I believe he had at least 10 blocks against Indiana Elite One, including about 3 on Ron Patterson, one of Indiana's top 2012 players. Their whole bench just kept shaking their head everytime he blocked one of their players. Very good defensive player, but still needs some offensive work.

Just got word that the Shinning Stars-Davis team got beat tonight. They were up 15 and just ran out of gas. The Shinning Stars 15U team lost to Derrick Smith team. The SS team has Charlie Rogers and Bopper Stenzel from GRC. There were 6 GRC boys playing in this tourney on 3 different teams. Still have Adam Fatkin and the Derick Smith 15U team still alive.

According to J Demling, here is a recap of the 17U game:

The game that drew the biggest crowd lived up to its billing as the BA Hoyas edged the Shining Stars-Davis team 73-72 on a putback by Eastern's Kameron Woods with about 20 seconds left. Elliott County's Timmy Knipp got a good look but missed it for the Shining Stars team. Woods was solid and is starting to get a lot of big-time college looks. He landed a James Madison offer on Saturday and there will be more to come. He led the Hoyas with 18 points, while South Oldham's Carson Fields had 17 and Eastern's Byron Sanford added 13 and Armon Marks had 11. It was a huge win for the Hoyas after losing to Shining Stars 133-130 in triple overtime during the State AAU championships at KBA in June.

Knipp hit five three-pointers in the loss and had 19 points, while Eastern's Remy Abell and Jeffersontown's Tony Kimbro Jr. also had 19 apiece. Kimbro plays as well as I have seen him play in the last two days, while Abell continues to draw interest. Clark County's Robbie Stenzel had four three-pointers and a huge effort in a win over Utah Pump 'N Run in the first round of the gold division tournament.

According to J Demling, here is a recap of the 17U game:

The game that drew the biggest crowd lived up to its billing as the BA Hoyas edged the Shining Stars-Davis team 73-72 on a putback by Eastern's Kameron Woods with about 20 seconds left. Elliott County's Timmy Knipp got a good look but missed it for the Shining Stars team. Woods was solid and is starting to get a lot of big-time college looks. He landed a James Madison offer on Saturday and there will be more to come. He led the Hoyas with 18 points, while South Oldham's Carson Fields had 17 and Eastern's Byron Sanford added 13 and Armon Marks had 11. It was a huge win for the Hoyas after losing to Shining Stars 133-130 in triple overtime during the State AAU championships at KBA in June.

Knipp hit five three-pointers in the loss and had 19 points, while Eastern's Remy Abell and Jeffersontown's Tony Kimbro Jr. also had 19 apiece. Kimbro plays as well as I have seen him play in the last two days, while Abell continues to draw interest. Clark County's Robbie Stenzel had four three-pointers and a huge effort in a win over Utah Pump 'N Run in the first round of the gold division tournament.

I watched the latter half of the game online, and while Knipp got an open look, I felt they should have gotten a better shot than that. They were down one but with 20 seconds to work with coming out of a timeout, only managed a three pointer from the corner with 5 seconds left. I would have much rather seen something from inside the arc.

He was at Ryle but just moved into Lloyd district and is enrolled there and will be there next year. I believe he has been going to some open gyms. Tyler is extremely athletic. He is 6'3 and won the dunk competition at grand nationals in Cleveland a few weeks ago. The final dunk that won it was Tyler jumping over his 6'6 teammate in the lane and dunking it. Truly unbelieveable dunk. The whole gym rushed the floor after that dunk! He played great most of the weekend and got a lot of attention. I believe he had at least 10 blocks against Indiana Elite One, including about 3 on Ron Patterson, one of Indiana's top 2012 players. Their whole bench just kept shaking their head everytime he blocked one of their players. Very good defensive player, but still needs some offensive work.

Sounds like a welcome addition to a Lloyd team that is bringing everyone back from last year. What grade is he in? Did he play for ryle last year?

I heard the BA Hoyas 17 U won the gold division.

I heard the Derek Smith All Stars 16 U won the silver division.

Any other Kentucky teams win a championship in the Eddie Ford???

Eddie Ford will host one of the nation's largest AAU events -- the Kentucky HoopFest -- with 228 teams in four divisions beginning Friday.

The event, which is open to the public and should draw more than 300 college coaches, will be played on 11 courts in the South Wing of the Kentucky Exposition Center. Ford also is using Basketball Academy for games.

The 17-and-under division's 24 pools has four teams each, including Eric Gordon Fastbreak and Shining Stars-Davis.

Follow J. Demling with updates:

http://www.courier-journal.com/article/20100708/SPORTS11/7080358/Louisville-event-draws-some-of-nation-s-elite

Sounds like a welcome addition to a Lloyd team that is bringing everyone back from last year. What grade is he in? Did he play for ryle last year?

He played his freshman year, but did not play last year, which was his sophomore year. He will be a junior this year.