Kentucky Hoopfest AAU tourney in Louisville

Eddie Ford will host one of the nation's largest AAU events -- the Kentucky HoopFest -- with 228 teams in four divisions beginning Friday.

The event, which is open to the public and should draw more than 300 college coaches, will be played on 11 courts in the South Wing of the Kentucky Exposition Center. Ford also is using Basketball Academy for games.

The 17-and-under division's 24 pools has four teams each, including Eric Gordon Fastbreak and Shining Stars-Davis.

Follow J. Demling with updates:

http://www.courier-journal.com/article/20100708/SPORTS11/7080358/Louisville-event-draws-some-of-nation-s-elite

NKY Heat 16U opened the tournament with a 10-point win over the Tennessee Tigers. Ja'Keith Pitts (Holmes) had a great game shooting 100% from 3-point range with three 3's and having 15 points overall and several assists. His quickness and court vision is a definite asset to this team. Dontel Rice (Holmes) chipped in with about 10 points. Tate Mullins (Ryle), Tyler Bray (Lloyd), Dylan James (Ryle), Keenan Palmer (Boone), and Charles Knox (Holmes) played very well. NKY Heat is playing without their big man 6'6 JR Doss from Simon Kenton this weekend. This was a great defensive game for the Heat, holding the Tigers to only 13 points for most of the first half. They have a big test tomorrow against Indiana Elite One.

15U Kentucky Elite started the tourney out strong beating the Birmingham Blue Devils by 25. All 9 played very well. In looking at their other pool competition, I expect them to be in the Gold bracket and make a nice run in this tourney.

Always seems that Kentucky has the greatest AAU hoops in the nation reading these posts.........
Just folks excited to see Kentucky kids competing well with quality teams from across the nation. :thumb:

This is a fun tourney with colleges present from every level from major D-I to NAIA. This morning I turned around to see Bob Huggins right beside me, and a few minutes later Tom Izzo. Scott Padgett has been there both days so far... with dozens of others too numerous to list.

There will be some Kentucky kids getting offers in August and September to play beyond high school.

Shinning Stars-Davis has not lost a game. Would love for them to win it all in the 17U division. Yes I am biased, 3 GRC boys play on this team, Stenzel, Purvis and Daniels.:D. I have watched them play alot and really respect the way they play together as a team. Well coached by Davis and his assistant. Other team members are Abel, Shanklin, Knipp, Kimbro, and Gains.

That place is a rip off. You pay 8 dollars to park and the tournament is held in two dofferent sites and when you leave the Fairgrounds to go to the other site and come back you have to pay another 8 dollars. Parking yesterday cost me 16 dollars. That's not right that they do that. Agree or disagree?

That place is a rip off. You pay 8 dollars to park and the tournament is held in two dofferent sites and when you leave the Fairgrounds to go to the other site and come back you have to pay another 8 dollars. Parking yesterday cost me 16 dollars. That's not right that they do that. Agree or disagree?

In Indy the parking was free. I agree $16 for parking is a bit much. How much to get into the game? In Indy $15 for the first two days and then $10 on the last day. They gave you a wrist band that got you into any game and site for that day.

Any details on the Shinning Stars-Davis team?

According to J Demling:

Biggest news of the day on the local scene is that top incoming freshman Quentin Snider is now going to attend Ballard High School. The 5-foot-11 Snider, a top-20 All-American at the Fab Freshman Camp last week, played at Fern Creek last year as an eighth-grader. He was headed to Eastern and played all spring with the Eagles but has recently changed his mind and will now play for the Bruins.

Check out the article by Demling, it gives some press to alot of Ky kids.

http://jodydemling.courier-journal.com/2010/07/kentucky-hoopfest-day-two.html

I just started parking outside either across the street or a bowling alley parking lot that a lot of people were using, saved me $32.00. I agree it's a joke, wish we would have played all our games at the Basketball Academy.

Edited by atm10
spelling

Just got word that the Shinning Stars-Davis team got beat tonight. They were up 15 and just ran out of gas. The Shinning Stars 15U team lost to Derrick Smith team. The SS team has Charlie Rogers and Bopper Stenzel from GRC. There were 6 GRC boys playing in this tourney on 3 different teams. Still have Adam Fatkin and the Derick Smith 15U team still alive.