Brandon Phillips arrested on traffic charge.

LRCW

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The bail was $25. Come on. Why was the arrest necessary? A huge fine would have been sufficient.

Whether or not to arrest has nothing to do with how much the bail is.

And apparently the officer felt an arrest was necessary, and that a fine alone was not sufficient.

Whether or not to arrest has nothing to do with how much the bail is.

And apparently the officer felt an arrest was necessary, and that a fine alone was not sufficient.

So you arrest the guy, and take him in, and he's out in an hour after paying $25. What does that do?

So you arrest the guy, and take him in, and he's out in an hour after paying $25. What does that do?

It got him off the road for a little while. That police officer might have saved his, or another persons life by taking him off the road.

It got him off the road for a little while. That police officer might have saved his, or another persons life by taking him off the road.

I'm pretty sure being pulled over, and the big fine, would have made him slow down.

It does quite a bit. I can guarantee you that BP is pretty darn embarrassed about being arrested. An arrest will stick with someone mores then a speeding ticket, I can tell you that. Next time BP gets behind the wheel of a car he will surely be thinking about what happened the last time. A ticket would have meant next to nothing to the guy. For what it's worth I am a cop and have been in situations like this many times. I'm not sure what I would have done, but I feel confident that the officer in this case made a decision that was thoughtful and honest.

I'm pretty sure being pulled over, and the big fine, would have made him slow down.

There is really no way to know that. But even if it did slow him down, how long would it last? He has plenty of money. A fine won't effect him. He'll think about the jail time longer than he'd think about a fine.

The bail was $25. Come on. Why was the arrest necessary? A huge fine would have been sufficient.

I'm not arguing if the arrest was necessary or not. Just saying that I think any of us would have gotten the same treatment, an arrest. I don't know if it was an offense that is typically overlooked with a ticket only. And the over 25mph argument has no merit here. He was over twice the speed limit in a congested area. I don't know nor do I care if it was justified to arrest him, but to assume that the arrest was simply for the cop to make a name for himself is a retarded notion.

Who's to say that BP hasnt gotten 3 or 4 tickets on the same road by the same cop for the same thing and only gotten a ticket? We don't know that information. Maybe this is not the first time BP has been pulled over by this guy and warned about what would happen?

There is really no way to know that. But even if it did slow him down, how long would it last? He has plenty of money. A fine won't effect him. He'll think about the jail time longer than he'd think about a fine.

So you do think that arresting him was based on his status!

It does quite a bit. I can guarantee you that BP is pretty darn embarrassed about being arrested. An arrest will stick with someone mores then a speeding ticket, I can tell you that. Next time BP gets behind the wheel of a car he will surely be thinking about what happened the last time. A ticket would have meant next to nothing to the guy. For what it's worth I am a cop and have been in situations like this many times. I'm not sure what I would have done, but I feel confident that the officer in this case made a decision that was thoughtful and honest.

Why?

I'm not arguing if the arrest was necessary or not. Just saying that I think any of us would have gotten the same treatment, an arrest. I don't know if it was an offense that is typically overlooked with a ticket only. And the over 25mph argument has no merit here. He was over twice the speed limit in a congested area. I don't know nor do I care if it was justified to arrest him, but to assume that the arrest was simply for the cop to make a name for himself is a retarded notion.

Really? Not saying I disagree with the premise of your post. But, really?