Brandon Phillips arrested on traffic charge.

LRCW

Reds second baseman Brandon Phillips was arrested and charged with reckless driving in Park Hills Friday night, police said.

Phillips was driving his new Audi about 72 mph in a 35-mph zone when he was pulled over in the 1400 block of Dixie Highway just after 11 p.m., Kenton County Jail officials said.

His mother was in the car with him at the time and no alcohol was involved, Park Hills police said.

Officers have the option of arresting a person for reckless driving or simply issuing a ticket, said Colonel Scott Colvin, deputy chief jailer. Often, it’s the latter, unless the circumstances show that the driver posed a serious danger.

“Reckless driving, a lot of times, is truly a discretionary offense,” Colvin said. “He was nothing but a gentleman, according to the policeman that booked him.

http://news.cincinnati.com/article/20100626/NEWS01/306260044/-1/NLETTER06/Phillips-arrested-on-traffic-charge?source=nletter-nletter-breakingnews

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the rule is 26 MPH over the limit and you get arrested, I could be wrong though. Poor decision by Brandon but not really that big of a deal. But I agree I don't really see the point to arrest him.

All that to be released an hour later on 25$ bond. :lol: Come on man.

I think the rule is 26 MPH over the limit and you get arrested, I could be wrong though. Poor decision by Brandon but not really that big of a deal. But I agree I don't really see the point to arrest him.

All that to be released an hour later on 25$ bond. :lol: Come on man.

The officer doesn't have to arrest you if you are doing more than 25 MPH, but they certainly can if they feel that it is necessary.

Poor decision making for BP, but sounds like a power hungry cop to me as well.

You have absolutely nothing to base this comment on other than the article. Many people who aren't famous have been arrested on the same charge. What makes Phillips special? Because he's famous? The cop had every right to arrest him.

You have absolutely nothing to base this comment on other than the article. Many people who aren't famous have been arrested on the same charge. What makes Phillips special? Because he's famous? The cop had every right to arrest him.

I don't? Knowing a few people personally, one being a close friend, that recieved a ticket for going 28 mph over yet didn't get arrested isn't something I could base my comment on? They were far from being famous too. I know for a fact every person that goes that fast DOES NOT give arrested. So yes, I actually do have something to base my comment on. Don't be so quick to assume. :thumb:

I don't? Knowing a few people personally, one being a close friend, that recieved a ticket for going 28 mph over yet didn't get arrested isn't something I could base my comment on? They were far from being famous too. I know for a fact every person that goes that fast DOES NOT give arrested. So yes, I actually do have something to base my comment on. Don't be so quick to assume. :thumb:

You might know one person who wasn't arrested for that. I know people that were not arrested for this well. However, that doesn't mean that everyone in this state or any other state gets off with a ticket every single time. It is up to the officer to make that decision, and obviously in this situation he felt an arrest was necessary.

And I still believe you have next to nothing to base your comment about the officer being "power hungry" on. Simply because you know one person who wasn't arrested for doing over 25 MPH isn't enough to say one officer is "power hungry", IMO. People are far to quick to judge police in this nation.

Brandon was arrested at 1400 Dixie Highway which is a few hundred yards north of the Ft. Mitchell Garage (by the steps leading up the hillside to the vocational school). For point of comparison, Cov. Cath. is a mile or so south -1600 Dixie Highway. The Park Hills police are usually pretty easy going. Brandon was obviously driving way too fast. But, he was with his mother, no alcohol was involved and he was a perfect gentleman during the arrest. I suspect the police officer was not motivated by taking down a big fish but rather made a judgement call to the best of his ability. With the benefit of 20-20 hindsight perhaps the arrest was not absolutely necessary, but Brandon could have spared himself the risk by not driving at an excessive rate of speed.

Brandon was arrested at 1400 Dixie Highway which is a few hundred yards north of the Ft. Mitchell Garage (by the steps leading up the hillside to the vocational school). For point of comparison, Cov. Cath. is a mile or so south -1600 Dixie Highway. The Park Hills police are usually pretty easy going. Brandon was obviously driving way too fast. But, he was with his mother, no alcohol was involved and he was a perfect gentleman during the arrest. I suspect the police officer was not motivated by taking down a big fish but rather made a judgement call to the best of his ability. With the benefit of 20-20 hindsight perhaps the arrest was not absolutely necessary, but Brandon could have spared himself the risk by not driving at an excessive rate of speed.

I drive that route multiple times a week, and I wouldn't reccomend driving 75 miles an hour over that stretch of highway.

I disagree. I'd have been arrested just like the rest of you if we were going that far beyond the speed limit. I think we should give the cop a break here. C'mon guys.

The bail was $25. Come on. Why was the arrest necessary? A huge fine would have been sufficient.

My dad once pulled former Cincinnati Royal Sam Lacy over on the I75 hill in Covington on his way to a game. He said Sam was a gentlemen. Norm Van Lier, his passenger, almost got arrested for running his mouth.