7 Seasons

6 Titles

395-170 (.699%)

Magic & Kareem

10 Seasons

5 Titles

591-229 (.721%)

Bird & McHale

11 Seasons (excluding '88-89 when Bird played only 6 games due to injury)

3 Titles

648-254 (.718%)

Jordan & Pippen

9 Seasons (excluding '94-95 when Jordan came back late in the season)

6 Titles

540-198 (.732%)

Kobe & Shaq

8 Seasons

3 Titles

435-189 (.697%)

All of these players are on the NBA's 50 Greatest list except for Kobe. However, the list was chosen in '96, so of course he isn't on it. I don't think anyone would argue that he'd be there now.

If Kobe and Shaq could have coexisted longer they'd easily be the best duo, IMO. Those two together with Kobe in his prime and Shaq still a dominating force would have been historic to watch.......While I want to say Russell and Cousy/Havilicek....those MJ/Pippen teams were likely the best NBA teams I have ever seen play. I never got to see Russell and company play and going by the numbers you almost have to pick them but when the Lakers are playing the Celtics and the announcer says this game 7 will be Phil Jackson's first game 7 in the Finals you have to give respect where it is due. The man does have 10 titles and MJ and Pippen gave him 6 without ever needing a game 7 to win it.

Don't get it twisted though....

I'd still take Kobe over MJ though.:D

I'm confused...

I just don't think MJ was "clearly" better than Kobe. Better, sure he was better, but "clearly" better.....I just don't see it.

Didn't you recently post that in the other thread?

:D

I'll take Jordan and Pippen. Six titles ties them for most on the list and they had the best win percentage. But, more impressive to me is that they were both perimeter players with no dominant big man and they were still able to dominate the league for more than half a decade.

Every other duo consists of one major post player.

I'll take Jordan and Pippen. Six titles ties them for most on the list and they had the best win percentage. But, more impressive to me is that they were both perimeter players with no dominant big man and they were still able to dominate the league for more than half a decade.

I agree wholeheartedly.

I can't vote for Jordan and Pippen for the simple fact that Pippen was, IMO, one of the most overrated stars of all-time. I went with Kareem and Magic as they're the only duo of two top 10 all-timers...

I have always thought the same thing as well.

I can't vote for Jordan and Pippen for the simple fact that Pippen was, IMO, one of the most overrated stars of all-time. I went with Kareem and Magic as they're the only duo of two top 10 all-timers...

Kareem and Magic had the best collection of talent around them. At their time Kareem was the best center, Magic the best pg, Worthy was one of the top 4 sf's, Byron Scott was a top 10 combo guard and with Cooper and Rambis coming off of the bench you could say they had the best bench also. MJ and Pippen led the Bulls to 6 titles with Horace Grant, Dennis Rodman, Bill Cartwright, Luc Longley, Craig Hodges, Steve Kerr, Ron Harper, BJ Armstrong, etc etc. Considering what 5Wide said about those two were perimeter players there dominance is amazing. Unlike most people I think Scottie Pippen was a huge part to the Bulls success. Without Scottie, the Bulls are nowhere near as dominant and they likely would have 0 titles. I can't front on a first ballot HOFer with 6 rings who was voted one of the top 50 players ever while he was still playing. I never liked him but he was real.

Spot on.

Although there's really nothing wrong with half of a "dominant duo" being a big man.

Spot on.

Although there's really nothing wrong with half of a "dominant duo" being a big man.

Absolutely right. I think that is what makes what MJ and Scottie accomplished that much more amazing. No other wing players dominated the game like those two did.