Pros and Cons of having Dusty Baker as manager.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Have you also noticed that he doesn't mix it up on the pitch count? He is may too predictable on when he does it, ie. the old 2-1 count.

A lot of times, especially at the Major League level, a manager will simply give runners the green light during certain at bats. Then if/when they feel comfortable they can take off. I'd venture to say that's how many of the steals or lack of occur for the Redlegs.

But yet, you feel like he should throw his best whenever he can...:confused:

No, most of us said that Herrera was not the correct option to start an inning in a one run game when right handers were hitting .341 against him and he was due to face 2 rightys to begin with when he had Owings who has only allowed rightys to hit .127 against him this year.

No, most of us said that Herrera was not the correct option to start an inning in a one run game when right handers were hitting .341 against him and he was due to face 2 rightys to begin with when he had Owings who has only allowed rightys to hit .127 against him this year.

No, that's not what he said. He had said that they should use their best pitchers whenever they can.

That would imply he feels Rhodes should be thrown out there until his arm falls off.

No, that's not what he said. He had said that they should use their best pitchers whenever they can.

That would imply he feels Rhodes should be thrown out there until his arm falls off.

You're twisting his words to make it fit your argument. Here is what he said:

"I say use the best guy for the situation regardless of the inning once you get past the 6th inning. As a manager you should use the best tools you have to get the job done. The goal is to the win the game, period. "

And what he was getting at is that Herrera was a poor choice to use in that situation for the reasons that I've pointed out repeatedly but you refuse to acknowledge.

You're twisting his words to make it fit your argument. Here is what he said:

"I say use the best guy for the situation regardless of the inning once you get past the 6th inning. As a manager you should use the best tools you have to get the job done. The goal is to the win the game, period. "

And what he was getting at is that Herrera was a poor choice to use in that situation for the reasons that I've pointed out repeatedly but you refuse to acknowledge.

Actually oh wise brilliant one, this is what he said (in reference to Rhodes not being used in the 7th)...

"I just say use him when you need him. Would you have used Herrera to face the 2 righties leading off the 7th? "

The "him" is refering to Rhodes.

Actually oh wise brilliant one, this is what he said (in reference to Rhodes not being used in the 7th)...

"I just say use him when you need him. Would you have used Herrera to face the 2 righties leading off the 7th? "

The "him" is refering to Rhodes.

And then after it was pointed out that Dusty was trying not to use Rhodes at all he tried to make the point that even if he didn't use Rhodes that Herrera was the wrong person to have on the mound to start the inning in that situation. You're the one that defended using Herrera in that situation and tried to use the ERAs of Herrera and Owings to show it was the right move even though rightys are hitting over 200 points better against Herrera than Owings.

That's when he said that he doesn't use his relievers in the right situations, Monday's game was a classic example of that. No way Herrera should have started that inning and you know it.

But yet, you feel like he should throw his best whenever he can...:confused:

If a pitcher is "available" and the situation warrants using him to protect the lead and possibly help to win the game, then I say yes he should use him. Once again my biggest problem with Dusty is that he "conditions" pitchers to pitch certain times of the game. I read somewhere yesterday that he is absolutely against putting Lecure in the long relief position and using Owings elsewhere in spots. This is typical Dusty, he seems to need to define roles. Pitcher "A" only comes in when the game is out of control, pitcher "B" works in long relief, pitcher "C" works the 7th inning in close games, pitcher "D" works the 8th inning in close games and the "closer" works the 9th to save the game. I say use the best pitcher "available" to protect the lead and try to save the game. I know your closer is your closer and should probably only be used as such unless your bullpen is depleted. Dusty likes to look at stats to see what batters have had good results against certain pitchers and I wonder if he does the same for pitchers versus batters. Imo he has their roles predefined and doesn't like to deviate from that stance. It has gotten him in trouble in the past and I think it continues with this year's team. Just my opinion for what it is worth.

I'll prefice this with the fact that I could care less about what happened under his watch in Chicago, or SF, or anywhere else....But this season, I think he's done a great job at handling the starting pitchers. I can't think of a single game where I've thought he'd left a guy in too long. I think he's handled Leake exceptionally well. I think he's done a great job of tweeking with the lineup to get the most out of guys like Cabrera, Phillips, Gomes, and Stubbs (yes, even him :D). The team has committed very few errors, and does almost all of the little things fairly well, which IMO is a direct result of attention to detail from the manager. The players all love him, and they seem to have taken on a never give up attitude, which again, I think is a reflection of their confidence in Baker.

Now I'm sure the brilliant minds in here will disagree or tell me how wrong I am, but you asked for positives, and all of those are IMO.

The only real qualm I have is how he sometimes handles the pen.

Dusty seems to have a lot of respect from the players that play for him, and that has to count for something, but his in game moves, or lack of at times, drive me crazy a lot of the time.

Dusty seems to have a lot of respect from the players that play for him, and that has to count for something, but his in game moves, or lack of at times, drive me crazy a lot of the time.

I have nothing against the guy personally. He seems like a really nice man. So does Marvin Lewis. I give them credit for being nice guys and possibly helping to create a good working atmosphere. But as in-game managers go, they are two of the worst. Lewis is worse than Baker.