Pros and Cons of having Dusty Baker as manager.

Okay we tear a lot of threads apart going back and forth on Dusty Baker and some of his moves so I started this thread just to have some discussion on Dusty Baker. Personally I think he is a terrible manager and will be replaced by management when his contract is up regardless of the outcome of this season. I think he is a terrible handler of pitchers both starters and relievers. I hate his Sunday lineup which is usually a day game after a night game in which he will rest as many as 3 starters at one time. What is wrong with giving an older veteran a day off during the week instead of waiting until Sunday to rest them all? I don't think he knows how to play small ball. He rarely starts runners and apparently never instructs hitters to give base stealing threats a couple of pitches to steal a base. I don't know the numbers but I think the Reds hit into an awful lot of double plays especially at the bottom of the order. In Dusty's defense I think that even though there were a lot of runners picked off base earlier in the year they do go first to third better than any team in baseball. Dusty seems to get along great with the players but I think that he let's the inmates run the asylum on occasion. I don't see a consistent amount of hustle from some guys, Gomes and Stubbs excluded.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I almost quit reading after the comment about the Sunday day games...If you don't understand the reasoning behind that, then there's no point discussing the rest of the rest of those things.

They're one of the best teams in baseball at doing a lot of small things....#1 at going 1st to 3rd, 4th in Sac Flys, 5th in fielding %, 8th in CS %, 9th in PB, 4th in E's....All of which are "the little things". I have to believe they're also one of the best in terms of OF assists, and I know they're tops in Avg. w/ RISP and Avg. w/ RISP & 2 Outs.

Okay we tear a lot of threads apart going back and forth on Dusty Baker and some of his moves so I started this thread just to have some discussion on Dusty Baker. Personally I think he is a terrible manager and will be replaced by management when his contract is up regardless of the outcome of this season. I think he is a terrible handler of pitchers both starters and relievers. I hate his Sunday lineup which is usually a day game after a night game in which he will rest as many as 3 starters at one time. What is wrong with giving an older veteran a day off during the week instead of waiting until Sunday to rest them all? I don't think he knows how to play small ball. He rarely starts runners and apparently never instructs hitters to give base stealing threats a couple of pitches to steal a base. I don't know the numbers but I think the Reds hit into an awful lot of double plays especially at the bottom of the order. In Dusty's defense I think that even though there were a lot of runners picked off base earlier in the year they do go first to third better than any team in baseball. Dusty seems to get along great with the players but I think that he let's the inmates run the asylum on occasion. I don't see a consistent amount of hustle from some guys, Gomes and Stubbs excluded.

You're really going to blame Dusty for double plays? :ohbrother:

Let's be real...Dusty has no bearing whether runners get picked off or go first to third on a single. In reality managers have a small say in the outcome of the game. We all know they make the lineup and make pitching changes but they have no bearing on whether the lineup is first or last in the league hitting with 2 outs and RISP.

He's a below average manager. Not the worst in the league but certainly not in the upper half. As for the Sunday game lineup, everyone knows that managers try to rest their catchers and veteran players on the weekends but it isn't necessary to rest them all on Sunday like Dusty seems to prefer. For example last Saturday Terry Francona gave Victor Martinez (in the field), Mike Cameron and Adrian Beltre the day off and on Sunday and JD Drew and Darnell McDonald got a day off.

I almost quit reading after the comment about the Sunday day games...If you don't understand the reasoning behind that, then there's no point discussing the rest of the rest of those things.

They're one of the best teams in baseball at doing a lot of small things....#1 at going 1st to 3rd, 4th in Sac Flys, 5th in fielding %, 8th in CS %, 9th in PB, 4th in E's....All of which are "the little things". I have to believe they're also one of the best in terms of OF assists, and I know they're tops in Avg. w/ RISP and Avg. w/ RISP & 2 Outs.

I fully understand the day game after night game thing but 3 players at a time? Catcher no doubt but there are opportunities to give the other guys a day off elsewhere. Some of his Sunday lineups are real head scratchers.

You're really going to blame Dusty for double plays? :ohbrother:

Let's be real...Dusty has no bearing whether runners get picked off or go first to third on a single. In reality managers have a small say in the outcome of the game. We all know they make the lineup and make pitching changes but they have no bearing on whether the lineup is first or last in the league hitting with 2 outs and RISP.

Who makes the call to start runners, the batboy?

I fully understand the day game after night game thing but 3 players at a time? Catcher no doubt but there are opportunities to give the other guys a day off elsewhere. Some of his Sunday lineups are real head scratchers.

It ususally occurs on getaway day as well, which means they get an extra days rest before hitting the road, and yes, Rolen needs at least a day off a week because of his back.

Who makes the call to start runners, the batboy?

What do you want him to do? Steal on every pitch to avoid a DP? Good luck with that one....

You've seen what happens the past few games when Dusty tries to start the runners as you would like to say. They've been getting hosed at second trying to steal if you haven't noticed....

I am not a Dusty fan. I don't think he is the worst, but my criticism always has to do with how he handles a pitching staff. That is his weakness. I think he tries to be too cute with some of his moves. Tha being said you can only work with what you have and Harang, Masset and others are not effective. I worry about Leake and his innings down the road, and hope he doesn't leave Rhodes with a flat tire by the all-star break.

What do you want him to do? Steal on every pitch to avoid a DP? Good luck with that one....

You've seen what happens the past few games when Dusty tries to start the runners as you would like to say. They've been getting hosed at second trying to steal if you haven't noticed....

Have you also noticed that he doesn't mix it up on the pitch count? He is may too predictable on when he does it, ie. the old 2-1 count.

I am not a Dusty fan. I don't think he is the worst, but my criticism always has to do with how he handles a pitching staff. That is his weakness. I think he tries to be too cute with some of his moves. Tha being said you can only work with what you have and Harang, Masset and others are not effective. I worry about Leake and his innings down the road, and hope he doesn't leave Rhodes with a flat tire by the all-star break.

Yes a major concern.