CA seeks temporary ban on metal bats

Is the moratorium a good thing while metal bats are studied?  

40 members have voted

1. 1. Is the moratorium a good thing while metal bats are studied?

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I certainly don't have any objection to a temporary ban while they are being studied. Ultimately, I think metal bats can be made more appropriate by changing the testing standards and making them perform more in line with the wood bats - essentially make them less "hot." Composite bats may simply need to be outlawed, as they can meet standards while brand new, but then exceed the standards the more they are used.

I certainly don't have any objection to a temporary ban while they are being studied. Ultimately, I think metal bats can be made more appropriate by changing the testing standards and making them perform more in line with the wood bats - essentially make them less "hot." Composite bats may simply need to be outlawed, as they can meet standards while brand new, but then exceed the standards the more they are used.
I find it interesting that you are and I are the only ones to comment on composite bats. The average high school/college/youth baseball fan/parent is not aware of how hot composite bats can be. I assume the reason they are not as popular as aluminum/alloy bats is because composite bats are extremely expensive and not very durable for baseball from my experience. Composit bats are the only bat of choice in the higher levels of mens slowpitch softball. I do believe that USSSA now actually tests bats on site at thye USSSA Major mens world series.

I find it interesting that you are and I are the only ones to comment on composite bats. The average high school/college/youth baseball fan/parent is not aware of how hot composite bats can be. I assume the reason they are not as popular as aluminum/alloy bats is because composite bats are extremely expensive and not very durable for baseball from my experience. Composit bats are the only bat of choice in the higher levels of mens slowpitch softball. I do believe that USSSA now actually tests bats on site at thye USSSA Major mens world series.

I think the expense is the biggest thing. Most people don't even realize that they're not all that durable. I'm certain there's a certain segment out there that has no problem buying a $300+ bat for their son every season, and if that is that case, then you certainly can't do any better than composite. There's a reason they've been banned in college - they start exceeding the testing limits once they get some use. They have that nice "hot" period for a while, then they just crack. On the bright side, I would think most of them would crack well before it's one year warranty, so you could get it replaced one time for free.

Ultimately, I think composite bats will be banned at all levels of baseball play.

There's another answer here: small barrel metal bats. My son had to use them out west in Little League, and there's a HUGE performance difference between them (2.25") and the big barrels (2.5-2.75"). The ball comes off the bat much more like a wooden bat, but the bat is light enough for smaller kids to swing them.

To me, it's the best of both worlds. They're safer, while still allowing kids to enjoy the game w/o fighting the weight of wooden bats, and the lower trampoline effect encourages better swing mechanics.

That's just the point, unless your kid plays what do most people go to a game to see? Home runs (or at least hard hits). These kids aren't seasoned pros. They aren't going to have the pop they would have with the metal bats. And let's think for a second, little league with wooden bats? Come on, most kids have trouble swinging a metal bat as it is...

You also have to think about a huge industry being killed with banning metal bats. Demarini, Louisville Slugger, Easton, Rawlings, and the list goes on... would suffer a great loss. Like I said before Baseball (IMO) is the greatest game out there, but in playing it you are taking a risk. Some times getting hit is good for a kid. :lol: (Not nailed in the head with a 60 mph line drive, but taking a ground ball in the face is good, teaches them to man up).

About 100 to 175 dollars for a good usable bat. Though there is a high chance for them to break.

You are buying some very high-priced bats if you are paying those prices. I'm not entirely certain you could even find many (any?) $175 wooden bats on the market.

Back in the day, when I played softball, the trend was that the bats were getting so hot that they started to change the ball design to slow it down. I do not know if that is the right answer, just a thought.

Back in the day, when I played softball, the trend was that the bats were getting so hot that they started to change the ball design to slow it down. I do not know if that is the right answer, just a thought.

Very well could be part of the solution. :thumb:

Based purely on the cost, I can't metal bats being banned. Wooden bats break too easily and would cost the teams a ton of money in my opinion.

Why don't we engineer a helmet for the pitcher to wear (I see this pretty often in slow pitch softball leagues) ? How long ago did catchers and hitters begin wearing helmets ? At some point, someone realized that catchers and hitters were at risk of being hit in the head with the ball at a speed high enough to hurt them. It's apparent that we may need to look into a helmet of some type to keep the pitcher safe...

:thumb:

This was going to be my second suggestion.

Changing the core of the ball changes the speed it comes off the bat dramatically. If you've ever played softball, you've seen it first hand. There is an incredible difference in hitting an ASA ball and an NSA ball.

You are buying some very high-priced bats if you are paying those prices. I'm not entirely certain you could even find many (any?) $175 wooden bats on the market.

I have all the $175.00 wooden bats you want, sale priced at $150.00. $125.00 if you buy 10 or more. Please know I'm just funing you.

That's just the point, unless your kid plays what do most people go to a game to see? Home runs (or at least hard hits). These kids aren't seasoned pros. They aren't going to have the pop they would have with the metal bats. And let's think for a second, little league with wooden bats? Come on, most kids have trouble swinging a metal bat as it is...

You also have to think about a huge industry being killed with banning metal bats. Demarini, Louisville Slugger, Easton, Rawlings, and the list goes on... would suffer a great loss. Like I said before Baseball (IMO) is the greatest game out there, but in playing it you are taking a risk. Some times getting hit is good for a kid. :lol: (Not nailed in the head with a 60 mph line drive, but taking a ground ball in the face is good, teaches them to man up).

I'd rather kill an industry than kill a kid! These companies can survive off the production of wooden bats, softball bats, gloves and all the other money making proucts they produce. I agree baseball is ONE OF the greatest sports out there and we shouldn't be making it to where kids are afraid to step on the diamond.

If you honestly think that "Some times getting hit is good for a kid. :lol: (Not nailed in the head with a 60 mph line drive, but taking a ground ball in the face is good, teaches them to man up" then I hope you aren't coaching youth kids.

Getting nailed anywhere with a 60+ mph baseball can cause serious damage to a kid with still brittle bones and developing organs.

Instead of forcing them to man up, how about letting them enjoy the game while they're kids!

The velocity of the pitch is directly related to the speed at which it comes off the bat, right? How about putting a maximum of pitch speeds at 50 mph. Part of the problem is the speed of the pitches, not just the bats and the balls. Also, make pitchers wear protective head gear.

The velocity of the pitch is directly related to the speed at which it comes off the bat, right? How about putting a maximum of pitch speeds at 50 mph. Part of the problem is the speed of the pitches, not just the bats and the balls. Also, make pitchers wear protective head gear.

That's called slow pitch softball! Not a terrible idea, but it would be almost impossible to try and create a realistic format to control the speed of a pitch throughout an entire 6 or 9 inning game. A perfect strike called an illegal pitch because it's too fast? I don't think that one would fly. If this did happen, then kids would be forced (or coaches would be teaching) them to start trying curve balls and other unhealthy off speed pitching techniques for such a young arm. Tough situation all around.