CA seeks temporary ban on metal bats

Is the moratorium a good thing while metal bats are studied?  

40 members have voted

1. 1. Is the moratorium a good thing while metal bats are studied?

The velocity of the pitch is directly related to the speed at which it comes off the bat, right? How about putting a maximum of pitch speeds at 50 mph. Part of the problem is the speed of the pitches, not just the bats and the balls. Also, make pitchers wear protective head gear.

You can't hold a kids development back based on the fact that he has a nasty fastball. You can't make kids throw the ball easier. Terrible idea in my opinion.

You can change the ball so it comes off the bat without as much pop (make the ball softer). You can also add some protective head gear for the pitcher.

I have no problem with changing the equipment used to make the game safer. I have a huge problem with limiting kids and punishing kids with superior talent.

If you were to make a limit on pitch speed, say 50 mph as you said, prepare yourself for 7 hour games with scores in the 30's to 50's. Making a high school kid pitch 50 mph would make hitting way too easy and makes it useless to have a stud pitcher.

Just my opinion....

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is a lot of talk around this issue. I do know the BESR (Bat Exit Speed Ratio) standard is being upgraded to the BBCOR (?) standard. The new standard is supposed to limit the trampoline effect of the bats.

What I don't understand is that no matter what standard you use, composite bats might meet the standard fresh out of the wrapper, but then get hotter as it is used. Unless you test the bats continuously throughout the season, how do you know if a composite bat has started to exceed the standard?

What I don't understand is that no matter what standard you use, composite bats might meet the standard fresh out of the wrapper, but then get hotter as it is used. Unless you test the bats continuously throughout the season, how do you know if a composite bat has started to exceed the standard?

And how do you expect the umpire on the field to test them?

And how do you expect the umpire on the field to test them?

I don't. I'm sure the equipment used to do so is very complicated and expensive. My point is that a new composite bat may pass any standard or set of testing you want to implement, but then exceed that very standard after being used. If it can't be regulated, then perhaps the answer is to discontinue use of the composite bats.

I don't. I'm sure the equipment used to do so is very complicated and expensive. My point is that a new composite bat may pass any standard or set of testing you want to implement, but then exceed that very standard after being used. If it can't be regulated, then perhaps the answer is to discontinue use of the composite bats.

I concur!

There is a lot of talk around this issue. I do know the BESR (Bat Exit Speed Ratio) standard is being upgraded to the BBCOR (?) standard. The new standard is supposed to limit the trampoline effect of the bats.

I've heard this as well... College goes to it next year and High School in 2012. I'm interested to see how much trampoline it takes off of the bats.

On a side note I wouldn't mind seing everything go to wood. I was at a wood bat tournament and saw a team go through 4 or 5 wooden bats in 3 games. All this means is that the hitters are not hitting the ball on the barrel where they are supposed to. Bloop hits look just like line drives in the box score so High school hitters will often take that shot of the hands for a bloop hit to keep their "big swing" approach. Wood bats will teach people to hit the right way.

The velocity of the pitch is directly related to the speed at which it comes off the bat, right? How about putting a maximum of pitch speeds at 50 mph. Part of the problem is the speed of the pitches, not just the bats and the balls. Also, make pitchers wear protective head gear.
How about wraping up a pair of socks in athletic tape and using it for a ball, and all the players wear hockey goalie equipment.

I definitely don't think it would hurt to study them. If that means a 2 year ban of them, then by all means ban them for 2 years.

I was pitching in a game back in August where metal bats were in use. In my second inning of work, a batter hit a line drive right back at me. I almost got to it with my glove before it hit me in my thigh but I did not and therefore was left to use crutches for a few days. I am convinced that if they were wooden bats being used I would have been able to catch the ball and avoid a trip to urgent care.

I've said for years that I felt metal bats are dangerous. In addition to being dangerous I feel they don't make players really learn how to hit. The game was meant to be played with wood bats and I feel it should be. If a player wants to play in the major leagues they will need to learn to hit with a wood bat (it is an artform). Why not start learning in high school?

Hit your spots and don't give up those line drives. A wooden bat may have hit your knee which is worse than your thigh. Just kidding. I used a wooden bat until my sophmore year in high school, when the last one got sawed off on an inside fastball. It was 36"-36 oz. The good hitters in high school like using them in wood bat tournaments in the summer. I know the pitchers would like to see them used. I watched Louisville Slugger wrap some wood bats with composite to make them more durable, maybe for fungos. The worker making them said they really had a lot of pop. I have no idea how they would compare to metal or composite bats. I would love to try one. Maybe a composite handle wood bat?

Back in the day, when I played softball, the trend was that the bats were getting so hot that they started to change the ball design to slow it down. I do not know if that is the right answer, just a thought.
Played a couple of slowpitch games last year where I bet Mark McGuire couldn't hit one of those balls out with a Miken Freak.

Hit your spots and don't give up those line drives. A wooden bat may have hit your knee which is worse than your thigh. Just kidding. I used a wooden bat until my sophmore year in high school, when the last one got sawed off on an inside fastball. It was 36"-36 oz. The good hitters in high school like using them in wood bat tournaments in the summer. I know the pitchers would like to see them used. I watched Louisville Slugger wrap some wood bats with composite to make them more durable, maybe for fungos. The worker making them said they really had a lot of pop. I have no idea how they would compare to metal or composite bats. I would love to try one. Maybe a composite handle wood bat?

I've seen these as well. From what I've heard they are used almost as a stepping stone from a college metal to a true wooden bat. From that discription I would assume they are someone in between.