Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Pikeville Independent Schools!

Featured Replies

Same could be said about Trinity & X! :lol:

:lol:

That is true but didn't T go to the sweet 16 last season or recently?

  • Replies 75
  • Views 11.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
:lol:

That is true but didn't T go to the sweet 16 last season or recently?

 

 

2 years ago...first time in 50 years! :dancingpa :dancingpa :dancingpa

Pikeville gets accused of this all the time in EKY and it is not true...it is not their fault that parents are willing to pay tutition so that their kids can go there. Anyways, you know what I mean RM. :lol:

Pikeville gets accused of this all the time in EKY and it is not true...it is not their fault that parents are willing to pay tutition so that their kids can go there. Anyways, you know what I mean RM. :lol:

 

 

I do know! Just havin' some fun! :D

2 years ago...first time in 50 years! :dancingpa :dancingpa :dancingpa

 

50 years... :eek:

 

Sounds like you guys need a new basketball recruiter. :fire:

50 years... :eek:

 

Sounds like you guys need a new basketball recruiter. :fire:

 

 

Now, don't get that started! :lol:

The KHSAA has no rules against a student esblishing any schools as their home school coming out of the 8th grade. I think if you checked with most public systems they have a tuition rate for students attending who live outside of their tax base or they have a reciprical agreement to get the state money. A student entering the 9th grade can live in AnyTown, Kentucky, and attend any school he chooses and particiapte in athletics. A student could live in Floyd Co. and choose to attend Pikeville HS or Highland HS (would be quite a drive) or Morgan Co. HS or Somerset HS or Tates Creek HS.

 

This is just so misunderstood.

 

School boundaries in regards to athletics for entering 9th graders are established by local school districts, not the KHSAA. If your district is restricting incoming students and you don't like it, contact your local school district to complain. It is not a KHSAA guideline!

 

Now, once the student establishes his home school, then if he transfers there must be a bonafide change of residence, etc. This applies to public and private schools equally.

Pikeville gets accused of this all the time in EKY and it is not true...it is not their fault that parents are willing to pay tutition so that their kids can go there.

 

It's not their fault that parents (of athletes) are willing to pay tutition so that their kids can go there.

 

That's what you should've said. Because that happens. Sure, it's not illegal as Blitz points out in his post, but it's just another loophole for recruiting. Something that should be addressed by the KHSAA.

 

If we can accuse privates of the "r" word, let's lay the blame on everyone that it applies too.

To me, this is just as much an issue for the "level playing field" as anything else. Just ask fans of surrounding schools that have to compete against Pikeville.

 

What about other "city schools"?

Easy now....mighty big claims you are alleging. Better hope a mod doesn't read that. :thumb:

 

I'm not accusing Pikeville of recruiting, just in another sense. :thumb:

 

It's a loophole that needs to be addressed. This process goes on at other "city schools". What about Paintsville with Landon Slone? Here's a student that should've went to Allen Central, yet chose to go to Paintsville although his address is in Floyd County within Allen Central's district. Is that "level playing fields?" Is that fair to the County school system losing revenue from a would be student attending a "city school" outside the district, athlete or not?

I'm not accusing Pikeville of recruiting, just in another sense. :thumb:

 

It's a loophole that needs to be addressed. This process goes on at other "city schools". What about Paintsville with Landon Slone? Here's a student that should've went to Allen Central, yet chose to go to Paintsville although his address is in Floyd County within Allen Central's district. Is that "level playing fields?" Is that fair to the County school system losing revenue from a would be student attending a "city school" outside the district, athlete or not?

 

I may be wrong but doesn't his mother have some kind of job within the Paintsville school system?? I thought she did but I'm not sure.

This beg the same question I have been asking from the beginning. If a public school can accept students from outside of their district then please tell me what advantage a private school has when it comes to athletics? I'm not seeing the unlevel playing field.

I'm not accusing Pikeville of recruiting

:thumb: Fair enough

 

It's a loophole that needs to be addressed. This process goes on at other "city schools". What about Paintsville with Landon Slone? Here's a student that should've went to Allen Central, yet chose to go to Paintsville although his address is in Floyd County within Allen Central's district. Is that "level playing fields?" Is that fair to the County school system losing revenue from a would be student attending a "city school" outside the district, athlete or not?
I believe several schools in this area, have what are referred to as "reciprocal agreements", which allow the funding to follow the student if he/she choose to enroll at another school, which is not within their district.

 

Floyd, Johnson, Knott, Magoffin, Pike, Morgan...I may be wrong on the names, some may and may not.

I may be wrong but doesn't his mother have some kind of job within the Paintsville school system?? I thought she did but I'm not sure.

 

Maybe, so what? Doesn't change the effect that his address is in Floyd County.

 

I'm not picking on Slone, he's a good player and great kid. I'm just citing him as the "most recent" example of this unresolved issue.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.