Pikeville Independent Schools!

TigerKat

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pikeville gets accused of this all the time in EKY and it is not true...it is not their fault that parents are willing to pay tutition so that their kids can go there. Anyways, you know what I mean RM. :lol:

I do know! Just havin' some fun! :D

The KHSAA has no rules against a student esblishing any schools as their home school coming out of the 8th grade. I think if you checked with most public systems they have a tuition rate for students attending who live outside of their tax base or they have a reciprical agreement to get the state money. A student entering the 9th grade can live in AnyTown, Kentucky, and attend any school he chooses and particiapte in athletics. A student could live in Floyd Co. and choose to attend Pikeville HS or Highland HS (would be quite a drive) or Morgan Co. HS or Somerset HS or Tates Creek HS.

This is just so misunderstood.

School boundaries in regards to athletics for entering 9th graders are established by local school districts, not the KHSAA. If your district is restricting incoming students and you don't like it, contact your local school district to complain. It is not a KHSAA guideline!

Now, once the student establishes his home school, then if he transfers there must be a bonafide change of residence, etc. This applies to public and private schools equally.

Pikeville gets accused of this all the time in EKY and it is not true...it is not their fault that parents are willing to pay tutition so that their kids can go there.

It's not their fault that parents (of athletes) are willing to pay tutition so that their kids can go there.

That's what you should've said. Because that happens. Sure, it's not illegal as Blitz points out in his post, but it's just another loophole for recruiting. Something that should be addressed by the KHSAA.

If we can accuse privates of the "r" word, let's lay the blame on everyone that it applies too.

Easy now....mighty big claims you are alleging. Better hope a mod doesn't read that. :thumb:

I'm not accusing Pikeville of recruiting, just in another sense. :thumb:

It's a loophole that needs to be addressed. This process goes on at other "city schools". What about Paintsville with Landon Slone? Here's a student that should've went to Allen Central, yet chose to go to Paintsville although his address is in Floyd County within Allen Central's district. Is that "level playing fields?" Is that fair to the County school system losing revenue from a would be student attending a "city school" outside the district, athlete or not?

I'm not accusing Pikeville of recruiting, just in another sense. :thumb:

It's a loophole that needs to be addressed. This process goes on at other "city schools". What about Paintsville with Landon Slone? Here's a student that should've went to Allen Central, yet chose to go to Paintsville although his address is in Floyd County within Allen Central's district. Is that "level playing fields?" Is that fair to the County school system losing revenue from a would be student attending a "city school" outside the district, athlete or not?

I may be wrong but doesn't his mother have some kind of job within the Paintsville school system?? I thought she did but I'm not sure.

This beg the same question I have been asking from the beginning. If a public school can accept students from outside of their district then please tell me what advantage a private school has when it comes to athletics? I'm not seeing the unlevel playing field.

I'm not accusing Pikeville of recruiting

:thumb: Fair enough

I believe several schools in this area, have what are referred to as "reciprocal agreements", which allow the funding to follow the student if he/she choose to enroll at another school, which is not within their district.

Floyd, Johnson, Knott, Magoffin, Pike, Morgan...I may be wrong on the names, some may and may not.

I may be wrong but doesn't his mother have some kind of job within the Paintsville school system?? I thought she did but I'm not sure.

Maybe, so what? Doesn't change the effect that his address is in Floyd County.

I'm not picking on Slone, he's a good player and great kid. I'm just citing him as the "most recent" example of this unresolved issue.