NKY POY

Clyde

Travis Jones-SS for Newport. 460 avg. 3hr. over 500 obp for a leadoff hitter. (not bad). This kid is having a great year (only a junior) on a bad team. I know he might not be in the discussion for POY but with good stats like that i thought he needed to be mentioned. Newport chooses not to put the stats in, he is a good hitter and plays a sound SS. Also is a fine young man on and off the field.

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

With all the respect for all the players mentioned, I have watched all of the young men play. I have noticed that with Sexton from Dixie that when he goes so does the team. You can say that with the other players but with Sexton hitting I think last said around .459 with 15 doubles and with a low era and with the loses he has had he has not had any run support. He pitched the 6 plus innings after Smallwood against Cov Cath and only got 1 run against Holy Cross pitching 7 innings there giving up 3. I think he has my nod for the POY with the young man from Holy Cross a close second along with Cotton. Just my thoughts.

Does anyone have the latest stats for Ronald Cotton? He is a senior game changer. You have to respect his power at the plate. If he does not hit a dinger, he will steal a base or two on you. A great defensive center fielder that plays the field everyday. Off the field he is a great young man.

Sam Liggett has most of the same qualities, including being a great young man. I just think Cotton is my pick.

Ronald Cotton's stats:

.371 avg, 33 runs, 10 HR, 34 rbi, 26 sb, .479 on-base, .742 slugging

Best centerfielder I've ever seen at the high school level. Will run down everything, gets a great jump, especially on balls right at him, dives for anything he needs to, throws runners out, all with that huge smile on his face.

Fun to watch play.

Ronald Cotton's stats:

.371 avg, 33 runs, 10 HR, 34 rbi, 26 sb, .479 on-base, .742 slugging

Best centerfielder I've ever seen at the high school level. Will run down everything, gets a great jump, especially on balls right at him, dives for anything he needs to, throws runners out, all with that huge smile on his face.

Fun to watch play.

These are great numbers. He gets my vote.

You are correct. He is hitting over .500. Here are his stats I just pulled up for Hempel.

Cumulative Season Statistics

App Games Wins Losses ER ERA Hits BB IP Runs K Saves

1 1 1 0 6 11.48 7 0 3.7 6 4 0

Games AB Hits BB 2B 3B HR RBI AVG SB R K

33 104 54 16 5 2 2 31 0.519 10 35 13

Sexton's stats:

.452 avg, 15 doubles, 5 HR, 25 RBI, 22 runs

1.25 era, 39.3 IP, 7 ER, 55 K's, 9 App.

Has pitched against Cov Cath, Holy Cross, Mercer Co, Campbell Co, Beechwood, to name a few.

For comparison sake here are the numbers for Sam Liggett.

.434 avg , .547 OBP, 30 RBI, 13 2B, 1 HR, 16 BB

Thrown out 85% of attempted base stealers

Picked off 11 more

Intangible: catcher position and HHS' schedule

Those catching stats are IMPRESSIVE!

They are also fairly hard to believe. Not taking anything away from him - he's a terrific catcher - but 85%? That's just unrealistic unless HHS' pitchers are simply unreal at holding on runners, slide stepping to plate, and apparently almost never throwing a difficult pitch from which to make a throw. Again, he's a fantastic catcher - best defensively in the 9th without question - but I have a very hard time buying into 85%.

I have seen Hoskins catch the last few games and he has improved however, to say that defense is not a major component for POY consideration dilutes the award in my mind. If defense is not a component than call the award "Offensive Player of the Year". If Hoskins just does an adequate job catching why would they not use him use as a AH and get another catcher? I do not think he is above average defensively as a catcher. He has a tendency to let balls go by and throw balls into center field and left field.

As someone who lives in Kentucky, I want the POY to be well rounded. Top in offense and top in defense. He is representing PLAYER OF THE YEAR. I would not want to say,”Oh he is a machine on offense but he is just an adequate fielder or catcher etc.” POY is best of the best in all categories and a leader on the field and in the dugout. My vote would be for Lauman.