Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

NKY POY

Featured Replies

A starter isn't required to go X amount of innings to get a win. As long as the team scores more runs (while he's in) than the opposing teams final score he gets the win.

 

I don't believe this is correct. Do you have a rule cite for this?

  • Replies 137
  • Views 16.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A starter must pitch 5 innings to get the win but a relief pitcher can pitch as little as 1/3 of an inning to get a win I believe. It's somewhere in the NFHS rule book.

 

This certainly sounds correct, though I wasn't entirely certain if in high school the pitcher needed to go 5 innings or just 4 innings (since they play only 7 innings).

This certainly sounds correct, though I wasn't entirely certain if in high school the pitcher needed to go 5 innings or just 4 innings (since they play only 7 innings).

 

That's what I was thinking. I don't know the rule cite but I will try to find it. I just know that there is a certain requirement for a starting pitcher to get a W.

That's what I was thinking. I don't know the rule cite but I will try to find it. I just know that there is a certain requirement for a starting pitcher to get a W.

 

NFHS Rule 9, Section 6, Article 6:

 

"Winning and losing pitchers are determined as follows:

 

a. If the starting pitcher has pitched the first four innings or more and his team is ahead when he is replaced and the team holds the lead for the remainder of the game, he shall be the winning pitcher."

NFHS Rule 9, Section 6, Article 6:

 

"Winning and losing pitchers are determined as follows:

 

a. If the starting pitcher has pitched the first four innings or more and his team is ahead when he is replaced and the team holds the lead for the remainder of the game, he shall be the winning pitcher."

 

:thumb:thanks coop.

I think Sexton and Norton are the two leading candidates at this point as discussed above. But I want to throw Josh Bertke's name out there. Like Sexton, he is the leading pitcher on one of the better teams in the region and he also is one of Beechwood's best hitters. When he isn't pitching, he usually plays shortstop. Bertke is doing it all for the Tigers.

  • Author
I don't believe this is correct. Do you have a rule cite for this?

 

Its in Mrs. Wolfe's rulebook.:laugh:

NFHS Rule 9, Section 6, Article 6:

 

"Winning and losing pitchers are determined as follows:

 

a. If the starting pitcher has pitched the first four innings or more and his team is ahead when he is replaced and the team holds the lead for the remainder of the game, he shall be the winning pitcher."

...that is news to me. So just to make sure I understand...starting pitcher pitches 3 innings and his team is up lets say 5-0. Reliever#1 pitches the fourth - Reliever #2 pitches the 5th- Reliever#3 pitches the 6th and Reliever#4 pitches the 7th. The final score ends up being 5-0. Who gets the win?

  • Author
...that is news to me. So just to make sure I understand...starting pitcher pitches 3 innings and his team is up lets say 5-0. Reliever#1 pitches the fourth - Reliever #2 pitches the 5th- Reliever#3 pitches the 6th and Reliever#4 pitches the 7th. The final score ends up being 5-0. Who gets the win?

 

In MLB when the starting pitcher doesn't go the required 5 its then up to the official scorekeeper. My guess is that a high school coach decides who gets the W in the record book and maybe not knowing the rules credits it to the starter.

...that is news to me. So just to make sure I understand...starting pitcher pitches 3 innings and his team is up lets say 5-0. Reliever#1 pitches the fourth - Reliever #2 pitches the 5th- Reliever#3 pitches the 6th and Reliever#4 pitches the 7th. The final score ends up being 5-0. Who gets the win?

 

I think in this situation, Reliever #1 gets the win because (as weird as it sounds) he was the first pitcher to pitch atleast 1/3 of an inning after the starter came out of the game.

I think in this situation, Reliever #1 gets the win because (as weird as it sounds) he was the first pitcher to pitch atleast 1/3 of an inning after the starter came out of the game.

Ok, It is what it is. I'm just trying to digest the fact that a starting pitcher has the ability to get a loss, but not a win.

According to Mrs. Wolfe for Dixie. She said that Sexton is 4-1. With wins over Louisville Seneca, Campbell County, Mercer County and Beechwood. All the rest of his stats look about right though. Also he went 2-4 tonight with a homerun and a double tonight and 2 RBI's.

 

Shack...If the info posted on here is accurate you have a valid point on Sexton getting the win against Beechwood (not Smallwood).

 

..seems like there was another game or two where there was confusion on who got the win for Dixie (maybe Seneca and St Henry?)

Shack...If the info posted on here is accurate you have a valid point on Sexton getting the win against Beechwood (not Smallwood).

 

..seems like there was another game or two where there was confusion on who got the win for Dixie (maybe Seneca and St Henry?)

 

Ultimately, the win/loss record for a pitcher isn't all that critical. Of more importance is his ERA and number of innings pitched, as well as whether the team won the game in which he pitched (whether or not he was actually credited with the win or not). Bronson Arroyo had a poor win-loss record last year because there was a long stretch of games in which the Reds consisted scored 1 or 2 runs for him. He still did a great job pitching and kept his team in the game. It's just tough to be asked to throw a shutout every time you step on the mound.

...that is news to me. So just to make sure I understand...starting pitcher pitches 3 innings and his team is up lets say 5-0. Reliever#1 pitches the fourth - Reliever #2 pitches the 5th- Reliever#3 pitches the 6th and Reliever#4 pitches the 7th. The final score ends up being 5-0. Who gets the win?

 

The relief pitcher who, in the official scorer’s judgment, was the most effective (if there is more than one relief pitcher). The official scorer, in determining which relief pitcher was the most effective, should consider the number of runs, earned runs and base runners given up by each relief pitcher and the context of the game at the time of each relief pitcher’s appearance. If two or more relief pitchers were similarly effective, the official scorer should give the presumption to the earlier pitcher as the winning pitcher.

 

So in your scenario, since all relievers held the opposition scoreless, reliever #1 would likely be credited with the win. Starter does not get the win because he simply did not pitch deep enough into the game. May not be fair, but no one ever said baseball was fair . . . .:p

  • Author

The kid that gets left off of the list because of our tendancy to only using offensive stats and/or pitching stats is Liggett. He's hitting in the high .300s against a strong schedule AND he's arguably the biggest defensive asset in NKY.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.