If public schools had the same freedom as private schools...

macdon

Students could be enrolled from anywhere in the state of Kentucky as 9th graders and be immediately eligible.

Alumni or support organizations could supply financial aid to cover tuition costs.

Title IX would be a non-factor. If Franklin-Simpson wanted to build a $2 million football complex there would be no demands that the same amount of money be spent on softball or volleyball.

Tenure? What's tenure?

Problem students would be removed from the student body never to return.

But we all know that isn't going to happen.

The local school board is going to limit enrollment to Simpson County. There will be no need for financial aid. Title IX will remain in force. Bad teachers who are tenured will just be bad teachers because of the union. Problem students will keep coming back because that is the law.

Students could be enrolled from anywhere in the state of Kentucky as 9th graders and be immediately eligible.

Alumni or support organizations could supply financial aid to cover tuition costs.

Title IX would be a non-factor. If Franklin-Simpson wanted to build a $2 million football complex there would be no demands that the same amount of money be spent on softball or volleyball.

Tenure? What's tenure?

But we all know that isn't going to happen.

The local school board is going to limit enrollment to Simpson County. There will be no need for financial aid. Title IX will remain in force. Bad teachers who are tenured will just be bad teachers because of the union. Problem students will keep coming back because that is the law.

KY's teachers' union is a joke; I have seen very good teachers lose their jobs just because the principal didn't like them, even if they were tenured!!!!!

If you have kids that are that bad, suspend and expel them because of their terrible behavior and get them the help they need through the financial assistance the state gives for special education, which Private schools don't have by the way. If they don't have a condition that falls under special education, then they belong in jail or their parent does.

Yep. :D And somehow we manged to take home the big trophy, which in no way addresses the point.

The playing field still isn't level and life still isn't fair.

That's the one earned fair and square...right?

Cheaters do win they just have more tarnish.

Sorry, your Title IX problem is null in void. Any co-ed school, public or private, must provide equal funding for both boys and girls programs. That is the law, no exceptions.

You're right (about co-ed schools). But not all schools are co-ed and not all must comply as a result.

Yep. :D And somehow we manged to take home the big trophy, which in no way addresses the point.

The playing field still isn't level and life still isn't fair.

PROPOSAL 13

Proposed by the KHSAA Board of Control – An amendment to Bylaw 23 to allow

for the forfeiture of championship competition in the unlik ely event of the use of an

ineligible competitor.

PROPOSAL 18

Proposed by the KHSAA Board of Control – An amendment to Bylaw 33 to ensure

that the forfeiture of a championship contest, redistribution and removal of records

remain options in the case of the use of an ineligible player.

Both these passed today if I am not mistaken. While I have not decided where I stand on what has happened today, I have a question.

Where would Highlands trophy be if these were in place last year?

You're right (about co-ed schools). But not all schools are co-ed and not all must comply as a result.

That is true however his example was a multi-million dollar football complex, if I recall correctly only 1 private school in this state recently built such a facility, Trinity. Hence my point that if it were a co-ed private school the same rules would have applied had a public school built it.

Taking kids from outside of "school districts" is not an issue. I would comment, but someone I respect greatly has worded it better than I could:
Most people just can't get this one through their thick skull. Public schools can take whoever they want to take into their school no matter where they live. Again, you can't self impose restrictions on your own school district and then complain that others won't do the same. The practice is not only stupid but it is un-american.
I agree, this is foolish.

Gee... I thought I was doing my part to pay "tuition costs" for kids at the public schools in my neck of the woods. If not, I need to find out where all those tax dollars went. :lol:

Why is it that parents with TAX FUNDED schools right in their backyards are willing to pay the extra dollars to send their kids to a private school that has to charge tuition because our government will not allow us to "direct" the educational portion of our tax payments toward the schools we choose to fund? Even if they just let us do it while our kids are in school, they’d have our public school tax dollars for the rest of our lives.

You’re right this is not fair. I’m paying tuition for my own kids at the school I want them to attend, AND paying tuition for kids I don’t know at schools I’m not sure I want to fund.

I'm sorry, but the whole issue of "tuition" is a red herring.

Title IX is not a KHSAA public/private issue, it is federal law. Title IX was approved by the Senate on May 22, 1972 and was passed by the House on June 8. President Nixon signed Title IX on June 23, and it went into effect on July 1, 1972.

Tenure? What's tenure?
I don't know how the big private schools handle tenure and teacher pay, but I can't imagine why a teacher at some of the smaller private schools would care about being tenured in a job that pays little more than minimum wage and has no retirement benefits. Overall the public school teachers have it much better. The private school teachers I know are heroes deserving of honors and medals, not to mention better pay and benefits.

Problem students and problem parents should be dealt with regardless of whether a school is public or private.