Mike Freeman: CBS sportsline columnist on UK's win over Cornell

I don't see anything wrong with the article. The Cats gave about 70% last night.

One thing though, he needs to do a fact check - that was Patterson that had the two-handed block.

:thumb: I did see that but gave him the benefit of the doubt.:D

I am sorry you are going to have to point out what I missed in reading the article that was not true.

The Wildcats at times looked ... well, bored, and John Calipari once again showed why he's a great recruiter but occasionally a tactically unsound coach.

I completely disagree with this comment.

The Wildcats probably have two of the first three picks in the upcoming NBA Draft. They should've obliterated this Cornell team.

As for this comment, UK with 4 of the top 6 players being freshmen playing in in a dome for the first time (a matter of fact, no player on the team had ever played in a dome) beat a team that handled a good Wisconsin team by 17 points. We didn't play great offensively, but it was a solid tournament performance.

Calipari is an unsound coach but his team has won by 29, 30 and 17 in the tournament. Two #1 seeds are already gone. I don't think this dude gets it.

That's about the only thing I disagreed with. I am just amazed at how he gets the AA freshman to play defense like they do. I also think he didn't give Cornell enough credit. They have some solid wins and almost took down Kansas at Kansas earlier in the season. They are a senior laden team with a lot of fight in them.

I think this is pretty true.. And I think many would agree.

I disagreed with that. Only 3 teams in UK history have given up fewer points in an NCAA tourney. And they have been there more than a couple of times! I am surprised by how good Cal gets these younger guys to play defense and play together. I thought the game plan was excellent and for the most part, executed solidly.

That's about the only thing I disagreed with. I am just amazed at how he gets the AA freshman to play defense like they do. I also think he didn't give Cornell enough credit. They have some solid wins and almost took down Kansas at Kansas earlier in the season. They are a senior laden team with a lot of fight in them.

:thumb:

UK probably did take too many jumpers in the second half. Cornell should get some credit, at least partly for this. They were doubling down on Cousins and he was doing the correct thing in passing to the open man, UK just did not hit those open shots. At times they may have taken open shots early in the shot clock when they could have been more patient and try to get it inside, but they didn't really take many bad shots at all. I also think that Wall was a little hesitant of driving into the paint after the bad charge call on him early in the game.

UK probably did take too many jumpers in the second half. Cornell should get some credit, at least partly for this. They were doubling down on Cousins and he was doing the correct thing in passing to the open man, UK just did not hit those open shots. At times they may have taken open shots early in the shot clock when they could have been more patient and try to get it inside, but they didn't really take many bad shots at all. I also think that Wall was a little hesitant of driving into the paint after the bad charge call on him early in the game.
That was a terrible call not even close to being a charge.

I admit to not reading the article, but I texted a buddy in the second half saying, "I get the feeling UK is bored with this team and know they can put them away at any time." I thought they slept walked through the second half after figuring out in the first half Cornell was not in their league. Just my opinion of course.