Proposal 20 Passed

TigerKat

I'm not sure if you have heard the news but the Board of Control turned down Prop 20.

I believe the vote was 9 to 7? They stated that it would coast @ $150,000 to run both a public and private championship.

It looks as if at least 9 people took the time to examine the big picture and didn't just cast a vote without thinking the about the consequences.

Good! Now we will still have strong competitive championships and no one guessing who is the true champion.

• Replies 522
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The fight is far from over with the Board of Education & State Legislature sure to get involved but for now....

Congratulations to the Public Schools who can now compete for their watered down 'B' State Championships.

I love this post. There is so much truth in that.

I'm not sure if you have heard the news but the Board of Control turned down Prop 20.

I believe the vote was 9 to 7? They stated that it would coast @ $150,000 to run both a public and private championship.

It looks as if at least 9 people took the time to examine the big picture and didn't just cast a vote without thinking the about the consequences.

High school sports in Kentucky aren't ruined!!! :dancingpa

Now you help me out after I already dug through the flotsam to find it...:)

I can understand your feelings on this matter to a point. Personally, in my area, we only have one private school in the area and they only had some basketball success a few years back with the import of OJ Mayo, et al. The public schools here carry the banner of educational, as well as athletic, excellence. My own high school has won multiple state Governors' Cup Awards in academic competition going up against the privates as well as the bigger, metropolitan publics.

However, the public schools in this area also know that once they reach the state level in athletic competition, they have little chance of making a big impact in the minor sports (tennis, volleyball, swimming, soccer). The privates have dominated these sports more than any other, with the exception of 4A football, over the last 10-20 years if not longer. Why is this? I have no ideas other than the privates were the first schools to emphasize most of these "country club" sports and therefore have a head start on the rest of the state. They also typically are located in larger metro areas which allows for a larger student population and thereby a larger talent pool. These metro areas also tended to have youth leagues for many of these sports well in advance of the more rural parts of Kentucky. These factors have lead to skill levels far exceeding what has been achieved in the rest of the state. At my own school, our softball team has dominated the region and competed closely down state. The reason is the quality of the youth league and the participation by many of the girls on summer traveling squads. The fact that they have been able to be competitive with teams around the state lends credence to my previosly stated theory.

That all being said, I feel there is a disparity yet I have no idea how to handle it. While much of the weeping and gnashing of teeth seems to be the result of the perception of recruiting by the privates, please do not assume that the publics are simply "choosing to just eliminate the private schools." I know of many instances which most would call recruiting, someone unaffiliated directly with a school (a booster) contacting a kid to try and get him to attend "his" school. My understanding of this is the KHSAA has no rules governing this type of behavior. Honestly, I don't see how they could because the policing of that type of activity would be an absolute nightmare. Now, most of these instances of which I am aware have nothing to do with private schools, they are almost entirely involving publics. This is what I see as the biggest problem in high school athletics, but that's just my opinion. How do you fix it? Who knows...

In any case, I still see the furor over Prop 20 to be much ado about nothing. I really feel like the state BOE and legislature will not allow it to stand in its current form. I fully expect some sort of compromise to be reached that will put this to rest, at least temporarily.

I'll stop typing now...:D

Very thoughtful and well-stated. Excellent post!

The recruiting word keeps being brought up. I think the difference here is that when you say a public school recruited a child it really isn't anything more than an invitation. What can be offered ? No tuition or financial help for school. When privates recruit there is very often academic scholarships and or discounts involved. We can and should call these academic scholarships because that is what they should be but just as in Div 3 college football where no athletic money is available we all know that if a child is recruited for a sport the "academic" money they receive is tied to the fact that they will play a certain sport.

Just experienced this last year with my son at a Div 3 school. Although it was many years ago. I watched a similar experience take place in the living room of my home when a private school rep knocked on the door of our home came in and talked to my father about my(public school) brother attending that school to play football. He was far from being a great student but was a GREAT athlete. My father of course jumped at the chance to be able to send him to a private school. Did he know this was a violation....not sure.... don't even know if it was on the rule books in the 70's . I do know when ever he was questioned about it from our public school community he always replied "It's none of your business".

I suppose that is where some of the recruiting finger pointing comes in. Should public officials be able to talk to public kids...yes...should private schools be able to talk to private kids ..sure .. but should you be able to offer ANY kind of financial assistance of ANY kind this is where it gets touchy.

I also think the bounderies thing is a problem. When you have most of the schools limited to their county and even though it is open enrollment the reality is that it is also a very limited area for most; because if it is your "home" district you are guarenteed admitance. If not, there is a whole application, essay writing, and selection process. So the spots for the school you may actually want to attend may not exist. Privates are not limited to area, county or even state limitations; so you have another problem that could and should be resolved.

I really don't think that most or even any of the publics really want a split. They just wanted a wake up call for the KHSAA that there are MAJOR problems and that they need to be addressed. I would think that ALL involved want it fair for ALL--not heavily slanted in either direction.

Some keep saying that life is not fair but in sports there are many rules and regulations to see that fair is exactly what it is. That is why Louisville, a Div 1 team, does not play Centre for a national championship. Different rules apply for the 2 divisions. That is all the publics want ... if they are playing for the same championship then they should have to abide by the same rules, reguations and guidelines. Are the privates cheating...of course not, they are just taking advantage of everything they are currently entitled to under the current system. Change the guidelines or change the divisions. Period.

ProPlayer, what public schools require "a whole application, essay writing, and selection process" for out of district students seeking admission to their school? I am familiar with the procedure at many of our public schools and none that I know of require any of this. Maybe a short application and a copy of your transcript from the former school- maybe not. The emphasis is on getting the student in school and eligible to play.

Ballard for one. Don't know about the others. We were coming from a private school to Ballard as 9th grader. There was a misunderstanding I suppose about our address being in Ballards home school district and we were asked to submit transcripts, an application and a 2 page essay.... I can't remember the subject that the essay was to be on but there was something specific. I don't know if the other county schools make you jump thru the same hoops or not but this was our experience

This is a recommendation only. The state board of education has the power to veto it.

MOST voted for it. I would have a hard time voting for something that I did not want.

I think most voted yes on it knowing that it would never pass through the other stops, but on the other hand it would show that the schools are tired of what is going on between the schools.