Home Beer Brewing

ADopted ADmiral

Have any of you tried any Home Beer Brewing?

I know Titletownclown has and his brew tasted good!

I recently picked up a Best Brew equipment kit,and made my first batch yesterday.

I am brewing a Muntons Connoisseurs Range Export pilsner.It's a beer kit that is pre-hopped so all I had to add was corn sugar and yeast.

It has been Fermenting a little over 24 hrs.The air lock is getting a bubble about every 3 seconds.I should be ready to bottle by Monday,and trying it out in a few weeks.I can't wait.:banana:

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Eastern Kentuckians have made Home Brew for many years. Probably not the fancy-dancy stuff you guys are talking about, but it was okay. Some people I knew when I was in my younger years used to make it and it looked like muddy water. It had a strong taste and it didn't take very much to of it to have your head spinning. I never asked them how they made it, I just drank it and hoped for the best, especially when I woke up.:D

I recently picked up a Best Brew equipment kit,and made my first batch yesterday.

I am brewing a Muntons Connoisseurs Range Export pilsner.It's a beer kit that is pre-hopped so all I had to add was corn sugar and yeast.

It has been Fermenting a little over 24 hrs.The air lock is getting a bubble about every 3 seconds.I should be ready to bottle by Monday,and trying it out in a few weeks.I can't wait.:banana:

Leave it in the primary at least 7 days preferably longer, 10 to 14 days for the yeast to complete their task. Do not just rely on the airlock bubbling to determine if fermentation is complete. Take a specific gravity reading with a hydrometer. Once that reading remains the same for 3 days (probably somewhere around 1.010), then you can transfer it to a secondary or bottle if you like.

It is a great hobby and two of the best resources out there are a book by John Palmer, which the first edition is available online. http://www.howtobrew.com/

The other is http://www.homebrewtalk.com/

Good luck!

:thumb:

Perhaps soon we can get together and jam while consuming a few of our brews:D

Leave it in the primary at least 7 days preferably longer, 10 to 14 days for the yeast to complete their task. Do not just rely on the airlock bubbling to determine if fermentation is complete. Take a specific gravity reading with a hydrometer. Once that reading remains the same for 3 days (probably somewhere around 1.010), then you can transfer it to a secondary or bottle if you like.

It is a great hobby and two of the best resources out there are a book by John Palmer, which the first edition is available online. http://www.howtobrew.com/

Good luck!

:laugh:

Call me when you finish your next batch, I'll be over to help you taste test it.

I'm a homebrewer. I've been doing it since I was about 22. It's still just a hobby of mine, but I've been planning to try to get into it a little more.

If there's anyone in the NKY/Greater Cincinnati area who's interested in getting into it, here's the place to go to learn: Listermann Brewing Company. They're located up on Dana Avenue in Cincinnati, right next to Xavier University, and the folks who work there are EXCITED to teach people about homebrewing. They know a ton about the process, and they're always happy to answer questions and give you pointers on anything they can. I don't know if they offer them any more, but they used to even offer occasional "classes".

They also sell their supplies online for anyone who is out of town.

Good luck!

Thanks for the advise.It's been about 48 hrs so far and I am getting a bubble about every three seconds.I will wait until day seven to take a hydrometer reading.I believe it should be ready at 1.008.I will have to remove the lid because the fermenter I am using does not have a spout. I do know that the aroma smells nice coming out of the airlock.:D

Thanks for the advise.It's been about 48 hrs so far and I am getting a bubble about every three seconds.I will wait until day seven to take a hydrometer reading.I believe it should be ready at 1.008.I will have to remove the lid because the fermenter I am using does not have a spout. I do know that the aroma smells nice coming out of the airlock.:D

Sounds good!!! It is a lovely smell!!! Do not worry too much about not having a spout, there will probably be a nice layer of CO2 above the beer still which will protect it from the air. Just make sure whatever you extract the beer with for our gravity reading is sanitized well (I use Star San). I have an Irish Red Ale and a Guinness Stout clone that I will be brewing this weekend. I got a late start so it will not be ready for St. Patty's day. I will be in your neck of the woods this weekend. Glad to hear the city is wet now instead of moist.

I'm a homebrewer. I've been doing it since I was about 22. It's still just a hobby of mine, but I've been planning to try to get into it a little more.

If there's anyone in the NKY/Greater Cincinnati area who's interested in getting into it, here's the place to go to learn: Listermann Brewing Company. They're located up on Dana Avenue in Cincinnati, right next to Xavier University, and the folks who work there are EXCITED to teach people about homebrewing. They know a ton about the process, and they're always happy to answer questions and give you pointers on anything they can. I don't know if they offer them any more, but they used to even offer occasional "classes".

They also sell their supplies online for anyone who is out of town.

:thumb::thumb::thumb:

Listermann's is outstanding! Great customer support and tons of stock. They are a true do not judge a book by its cover store. From the outside it looks like a hole in the wall. Inside is one of the best homebrewing stores in the state of Ohio.

Paradise Brewing on Beechmont Ave is not quite as large as Listermann's but also very good customer support and good prices.