Home Beer Brewing

ADopted ADmiral

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Start out with a Pre-hopped can mix then work your way up. Check out some home brew videos on youtube.:thumb:

Is it pretty simple or do you have to be a chemist to do this? I can follow the instructions and what not, but other than that it is going to be uncharted waters for me.

Going to Listermann's today. Do you guys have any recommendations? I'm going to be starting from scratch. I'm excited though.

Edited by Lucky Charms

Is it pretty simple or do you have to be a chemist to do this? I can follow the instructions and what not, but other than that it is going to be uncharted waters for me.

Going to Listermann's today. Do you guys have any recommendations? I'm going to be starting from scratch. I'm excited though.

Yea those guys will hook you up. Watch this video.This is the easiest way to start out.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sAJKWCdaPq4

Just get your equipment, pick out the type of beer kit you like - IPA, Amber, Brown and buy the kit. Follow the instructions.

Well, I'm on my way. For my very first homebrew I'm going to be trying a Bavarian Dunkelweizen. Wish me luck. I be sure to give updates.

I feel like a little kid on Halloween night.:lol:

Thanks for the youtube videos, AA. Very informative.

Edited by Lucky Charms

Woke up this morning to see that the air lock is bubbling once every two seconds.

It really wasn't that hard. I've actually made some dinners that were harder than making a homebrew. Although, I haven't even tried my beer yet so maybe I shouldn't judge on the difficulty just yet. It was an awesome experience, and I look forward to doing it again.

Woke up this morning to see that the air lock is bubbling once every two seconds.

It really wasn't that hard. I've actually made some dinners that were harder than making a homebrew. Although, I haven't even tried my beer yet so maybe I shouldn't judge on the difficulty just yet. It was an awesome experience, and I look forward to doing it again.

Did you take a hydrometer reading before you started the fermentation? The Hydrometer will tell you more than the airlock will.

Here is a link about fermenting and airlocks.Read Revvy's post.http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f163/airlock-activity-during-fermentation-149292/

Did you take a hydrometer reading before you started the fermentation? The Hydrometer will tell you more than the airlock will.

Here is a link about fermenting and airlocks.Read Revvy's post.http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f163/airlock-activity-during-fermentation-149292/

Ha! Guess I'm a n00b!:lol: Thanks for all the info, AA. If it weren't for you guys talking about this I wouldn't be trying it.

You know, the hydrometer reading was the only thing in the directions that I didn't actually do. Completely unintentional too. I hope that it isn't a grave mistake. I followed the directions to the tee, other than forgetting the hydrometer reading of course.

The room that I have the brew fermenting in smells nice! Smells kind of like fresh bread.

Best way to start is with kits. Combination of extracts, grains and hops. If you want something hopped, I would start with an IPA kit. You can add additional hops if you like, but for a first run I would reccomend making it by the recipe.

Listermann's really is a good place to get started. If you live in NKY drive up to their place, they will help you with everything. Dan and Chuck are great guys. They are also very happy to help over the phone or e:mail. My only suggestion is to spend the bit of extra money to get a bench capper. It makes capping bottles very easy. Those old double wing ones will make you want to quit brewing.

Talked to Chuck the other day. He got me started with my equip kit and helped me pick out a brew kit that he thought might appeal to me. Cool guy, very informative.

It will not make a huge difference that you did not take a hydrometer reading. Just means you will not be able to get a good number of how much alcohol by volume is in your final product. However you will want to make sure that fermenting brew is in a fairly cool place temperature wise. Fermentation can heat your brew as much as 8 or 10 degrees above ambient temp. You will want to take that into account to make sure you are not above the temp threshold of the yeast you are using. Otherwise, you will get some off flavors in the final product. This time of year can be tough to keep a fermenter cool. I know you will also be dying to try your new brew, but be patient. I would leave your brew in the primary fermenter at least 10 days, preferably somewhere between 14 and 21. After that start taking a hydrometer reading daily. Once you go 2 or 3 days with the same reading you are probably finished with fermentation. Let the yeast clean up after their party of eating sugar, peeing alcohol, and farting carbon dioxide. Sounds like you for sure had a fun experience and if you followed the instructions pretty well you will be impressed with your creation. After a few more attempts you will be creating beer on par with the commercial breweries if not better.

Ha! Guess I'm a n00b!:lol: Thanks for all the info, AA. If it weren't for you guys talking about this I wouldn't be trying it.

You know, the hydrometer reading was the only thing in the directions that I didn't actually do. Completely unintentional too. I hope that it isn't a grave mistake. I followed the directions to the tee, other than forgetting the hydrometer reading of course.

The room that I have the brew fermenting in smells nice! Smells kind of like fresh bread.

It will be fine.Just leave it alone for at least seven days.If you have any questions when you go to bottle hit me up.The homebrewtalk forum has alot of good info.:thumb:

BTW Gunner is the Brewmaster on BGP.He has helped me out a bunch!!!:thumb:

It will be fine.Just leave it alone for at least seven days.If you have any questions when you go to bottle hit me up.The homebrewtalk forum has alot of good info.:thumb:

BTW Gunner is the Brewmaster on BGP.He has helped me out a bunch!!!:thumb:

Not quite a brewmaster yet, but caught the brewing bug and have never looked back. It is a fun hobby!

It will not make a huge difference that you did not take a hydrometer reading. Just means you will not be able to get a good number of how much alcohol by volume is in your final product. However you will want to make sure that fermenting brew is in a fairly cool place temperature wise. Fermentation can heat your brew as much as 8 or 10 degrees above ambient temp. You will want to take that into account to make sure you are not above the temp threshold of the yeast you are using. Otherwise, you will get some off flavors in the final product. This time of year can be tough to keep a fermenter cool. I know you will also be dying to try your new brew, but be patient. I would leave your brew in the primary fermenter at least 10 days, preferably somewhere between 14 and 21. After that start taking a hydrometer reading daily. Once you go 2 or 3 days with the same reading you are probably finished with fermentation. Let the yeast clean up after their party of eating sugar, peeing alcohol, and farting carbon dioxide. Sounds like you for sure had a fun experience and if you followed the instructions pretty well you will be impressed with your creation. After a few more attempts you will be creating beer on par with the commercial breweries if not better.

Just took a peak at the temp on the primary container. I'm at about 77 degrees. On the instructions it says to keep it between 65 to 75 degrees. I didn't account for that, but at least I'm not too for above the range.