Retire Jerseys

YankeeFan22

Prince and Delk.... maybe?

I hold jersey retiring as the ultimate accomplishment, similar to being in the Hall of Fame. For sentimental reasons the Unforgettables are up there and rightfully so. Has UK had any transformational type players since Mashburn? Prince stayed all 4 years and built a good resume. Delk pretty much the same but also won a title. I never viewed these guys as all time elite players.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is Mashburn's up there? If not, it should absolutely be next.

After him,

Delk

Shepherd (final 4 MVP)

Prince

Patterson (in the future)

As far as Wall, .... I have mixed emotions. But honestly, I don't think a 1 and done should be in the rafters unless they completely rewrite the season records. But that's just my opinion.

Wall should not get his retired. He is a really good player but will not come close to accomplishing what others have done that have stayed longer.

I feel that Hayes should eventually have his retired because of how much he meant to the University of Kentucky basketball team and how respected he was. He was a great player for UK who showed true leadership and passion every single game. He was honored to be a Cat and I think he deserves it.

This Saturday's game would have been a great one to retire a few jersey's.

I am sorry guys, I know some of these players have a special place in your hearts, but Jeff Sheppard and Chuck Hayes are a long way from being worthy of consideration with the likes of Mashburn, Macy, Givens, Issel, Riley, etc. The retiring of jerseys will never end.

I am sorry guys, I know some of these players have a special place in your hearts, but Jeff Sheppard and Chuck Hayes are a long way from being worthy of consideration with the likes of Mashburn, Macy, Givens, Issel, Riley, etc. The retiring of jerseys will never end.

I think Hayes could have his retired a long ways down the line. I don't believe he is anywhere close right now because I feel they are already overdue on retiring Prince, Delk, etc. But I do think it will eventually be considered.

I agree. :thumb:

I think if we consider Hayes for this honor, why not James Lee? He had a 4 year career and only started his sophomore year when Robey went down the last 15 games or so. But was there any doubt he would be out there when needed. He was recognized as the best 6th man in the Nation in '77 and '78. He missed the 1,000 point club by just a few points if memory serves.

What about Mel Turpin? Started 3 years and was the leading scorer those years if memory serves.

If we honor Hayes, was their anyone more gritty and proud to wear the Blue and White than Jimmy Dan Conner? Started all 3 years of his career.

Prince was on a team or two that underachieved. He had a great career, not "jersey retired" great. Delk & Mash should be next IMO.

Mash is already there. I think he's the only player in the rafters who didn't graduate @ UK. At least, at the time his jersey was hung, he hadn't graduated. Not sure on that though.

Totally agree on Delk. He has to be next, especially now that he has an official position in the program. Should do that while he's still around. He was on two Final Four teams, won a championship, & was MOP of the '96 tourney. An all-time top ten scorer too.

As great as Prince was, I'm not sold on him having his jersey retired. I wouldn't be opposed to it if it happened, but at least right now, I think Delk is the only player I'd put up there.

Mash is already there. I think he's the only player in the rafters who didn't graduate @ UK. At least, at the time his jersey was hung, he hadn't graduated. Not sure on that though.

Totally agree on Delk. He has to be next, especially now that he has an official position in the program. Should do that while he's still around. He was on two Final Four teams, won a championship, & was MOP of the '96 tourney. An all-time top ten scorer too.

As great as Prince was, I'm not sold on him having his jersey retired. I wouldn't be opposed to it if it happened, but at least right now, I think Delk is the only player I'd put up there.

Doh! :ohbrother:

Chuck Hayes was great for UK, I just can't see him in the rafters for another 20+ years. He is just one of those guys that stands a few feet away from legendary at UK but still very important.

If John Wall goes up there, I feel it will open a can of worms for Cousins, Bledsoe and every other fab kid on this team this year and for years to come. Regardless of the outcome of this season, a kid needs to stay at least 2 years and be great to get rafter consideration.

Patterson is a shoe in, great role model, excellent student and a terrific player and ambassador for UK.

UK’s retired jerseys

No. Player Years Position

none Basil Hayden 1919-22 G-F

56 Burgess Carey 1924-26 G

none Carey Spicer 1928-31 F

none Forest Sale 1930-33 C-F

00 John DeMoisey 1931-34 C-F

10 Layton Rouse 1937-40 G

26 Ken Rollins 1942-43, 1946-48 G

15 Alex Groza 1944-45, 1946-49 C

12 Ralph Beard 1945-49 G

27 Wallace Jones 1945-49 F-C