Retire Jerseys

YankeeFan22

Jeff Sheppard deserves to have his jersey retired? A career 7.8 PPG guy deserves to have his jersey hanging in the rafters?

If he's in you have also include Walter McCarty and his 9.2 PPG average. Is he worthy?

Is that some sort of early April Fool's joke?

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jeff Sheppard deserves to have his jersey retired? A career 7.8 PPG guy deserves to have his jersey hanging in the rafters?

If he's in you have also include Walter McCarty and his 9.2 PPG average. Is he worthy?

Is that some sort of early April Fool's joke?

Kind of like Chuck Hayes who I think averaged less than double digits for his career as well. :lol:

For some we want to put up jerseys for every player who ever played.

I'm like another already said: I'd air on the side of having too few than too many. :thumb:

I agree. :thumb:

I think if we consider Hayes for this honor, why not James Lee? He had a 4 year career and only started his sophomore year when Robey went down the last 15 games or so. But was there any doubt he would be out there when needed. He was recognized as the best 6th man in the Nation in '77 and '78. He missed the 1,000 point club by just a few points if memory serves.

What about Mel Turpin? Started 3 years and was the leading scorer those years if memory serves.

If we honor Hayes, was their anyone more gritty and proud to wear the Blue and White than Jimmy Dan Conner? Started all 3 years of his career.

I think McDonalds retired Mel Turpin's jersey!:laugh::laugh:

In all honesty, I think Delk is the only player not there who should be. Prince was a good player, but was he ever considered great? Same for Bogans. This doesn't dimish their ability, but those are some huge names hanging in Rupp Arena. In my opinion Delk has to go up because of his individual success and team success.

Someone mentioned Tubby Smith and that is an interesting case. I would probably vote to put Tubby up, just because he won a title (every title winning coach at UK is up there) and was such a fine ambassador for the university. But I wouldn't do it until he has retired from coaching, whenever that might be.