Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Retire Jerseys

Featured Replies

I like how UNC has a criteria for their honoree and reitred jersey's. I think UK's should be a bit more strict though because it would become watered down.

 

Forty-three former North Carolina men's basketball players are honored in the Smith Center with banners representing their numbers hung from the rafters. Of the 43 honored jerseys, eight are retired.

 

To have his jersey honored, a player must have met one of the following criteria[37]:

 

MVP of a National Championship-winning team

Member of a gold medal-winning Olympic team

First- or second-team All-America

ACC Player of the Year

NCAA Tournament MOP

To have his jersey retired, a North Carolina player must win a widely recognized national player of the year award. A men's basketball player must win one of the following six awards[38]:

 

Associated Press Player of the Year

Oscar Robertson Trophy, formerly known as the United States Broadcasters Association National Player of the Year

National Association of Basketball Coaches Player of the Year

Sporting News Player of the Year

John R. Wooden Award

Naismith College Player of the Year

Eight players (including Jack Cobb, whose jersey did not have a number) have had their jerseys retired. Tyler Hansbrough's number 50 is the eighth jersey to be retired, as in the 07-08 season he won all 6 of the major awards required to have ones jersey retired.[39]

  • Replies 48
  • Views 4.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think Patterson will have his number up there. You would think if they were going to do Delk's or Prince's they would already be up there.

 

The player I would most like to see get his jersey retired is Chuck Hayes. I don't think I'll ever view another Wildcat with as much admiration as I did Hayes.

 

I have to agree. Chuck Hayes should already be up there.:thumb:

Tubby is already up there, no?

 

Yep. Right up there with son, Saul.

Yep. Right up there with son, Saul.

 

:D

 

I do think Tubby deserves to be up there.

:D

 

I do think Tubby deserves to be up there.

 

:thumb: I agree. He won a national championship and has a pretty good track record.

Billy Clyde? I feel hanging a keg from the rafters would be appropriate.

:thumb: I agree. He won a national championship and has a pretty good track record.

 

Good track record, not great. As fine a person as you will ever find. Deserving of a banner? Not real sure about that. I think a couple of final fours with his recruits would have made it a no-brainer. Don't get me wrong, he did a great job leading the '98 team. However, they were a veteran club with final four experience. It is hard to argue this was not Rick's team.

I would much prefer retiring too few than too many.

 

BINGO!

 

The only former players worthy of consideration IMO are Delk, Bogans, and Prince...the only one I would vote for without a doubt is Delk. I loved Chuck Hayes as much as anyone, but he isn't on that level. Rex Chapman is my all time UK favorite and I wouldn't vote for him. I would also say there should be at least a 5 year minimum for putting a jersey up after said player is gone. Patterson, if he continues on this year carrying himself with as much class as he seems to AND keeps producing on the court, i'd strongly consider him 5 years from now.

 

It should be a VERY elite group.

Good track record, not great. As fine a person as you will ever find. Deserving of a banner? Not real sure about that. I think a couple of final fours with his recruits would have made it a no-brainer. Don't get me wrong, he did a great job leading the '98 team. However, they were a veteran club with final four experience. It is hard to argue this was not Rick's team.

 

Good point. I'd put him up there for winning the national title. Not too many can say they've accomplished that. He really didn't do too much after that though.

There was a huge influx of players from the 50's.

 

I may be mistaken, but I don't think there were any retired jersey's at UK until Pitino came and made a push to remember the tradition.

 

I wonder if there are lots of players from the 50's because of the influence CM had at the time.

I heard now they have a 10 year period they have to wait for the hall of fame, and to have your jersey retired now, you have to have been elected into the UK hall of fame. Delk was inducted this past year I believe.

There was a huge influx of players from the 50's.

 

I may be mistaken, but I don't think there were any retired jersey's at UK until Pitino came and made a push to remember the tradition.

 

I wonder if there are lots of players from the 50's because of the influence CM had at the time.

I heard now they have a 10 year period they have to wait for the hall of fame, and to have your jersey retired now, you have to have been elected into the UK hall of fame. Delk was inducted this past year I believe.

 

The huge influx of players from the 50's you see were done long ago. Before jersey hanging, the Cats retired the jerseys/numbers of the Fabulous Five but unretired them after the scandal.

 

The '53-'54 team was honored with about 8 retirees for going 25-0. But numbers were not retired. You can probably google the story somewhere but that is why you have so many from the 50's. (That and the fact you have 2 National Title teams and a 25-0 squad) :thumb:

The huge influx of players from the 50's you see were done long ago. Before jersey hanging, the Cats retired the jerseys/numbers of the Fabulous Five but unretired them after the scandal.

 

The '53-'54 team was honored with about 8 retirees for going 25-0. But numbers were not retired. You can probably google the story somewhere but that is why you have so many from the 50's. (That and the fact you have 2 National Title teams and a 25-0 squad) :thumb:

 

While I would agree with that, that means UK has a lot more Jersey's to retire for the 90's generation. 2 National Champs and a Runner up. As of now noone from 95 on has had there # retired. Should the starting 5 of the 96 team, or at least the seniors be retired. Just asking?

[/b]

 

While I would agree with that, that means UK has a lot more Jersey's to retire for the 90's generation. 2 National Champs and a Runner up. As of now noone from 95 on has had there # retired. Should the starting 5 of the 96 team, or at least the seniors be retired. Just asking?

 

No, I don't believe we should. UK did that in the 50's. I wasn't supporting what they did but telling what they did. It was a short-sighted time and no one thought about "retiring all those jerseys."

 

I think another post mentioned the guidelines now include waiting a minimum of 10 years to be considered for the honor.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.