Best teams in 2011

Warren Central, Bowling Green, LexCath, J-town, Eastern, & Clark Co. come to mind. I realize this year is not over. What other teams will stand out for next year. Is next year going to be a down year?

Mason Co will have a quality team next year also.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why Ryle? They lose a lot, except Stauffer and Vollet. Boone will be pretty good again with Montgomery, Brown, Burgess, Crabtree, McQueary, and Stanley and could go 6'9", 6'4", 6'4", and 6'5" with their 4 biggest starters.

I agree, Stauffer and Vollet are back but I watched Highlands JV just destroy their JV team by 30 and they looked thin on talent. The Freshman team has a couple players at best but nobody who will contribute at the varsity level right away next year. They may stick in the top 10 with Stauffer but Top 3 team NO WAY.

I honestly don't see any NKY teams being in the top 10 next year. There won't be one dominant team in NKY as we've seen the last couple of years but a group of very good teams that will exchange wins and losses.

I agree. The 9th region will be wide open next year.

I think the 9th region is wide open also.I think Dixe brings back a lot of experience and talent in Pike,Hatton and Stansberry, I also think a sleeper team could be Holy Cross. They only lose 1 senior and probabably bring more experinece back than anyone else in the in Nky.

Holmes will still give people fits next year, but I think they will be beatable unlike they have been in the past few years. I also look for Boone, and Ryle to be in the hunt.

If you look at all the top teams this year in the 9th region, they are all have at leats 3 seniors or more starting, so I expect to see alot of new teams at the top next year.

Holmes should be pretty good next year because...well, they're Holmes. They don't rebuild, they reload. (Insert Highlands football reference.)

I agree....Holmes will be better than a lot of people think next year.

Their junior class is extremely underrated because of the the Johnson Brothers and Pittman. Obviously next year's team won't be as talented as this year's squad, but they will be very deep.

I expect the following players to all be significant contributors next year:

6'0 Pierre Mayfield

6'1 Chris Hayes

6'1 Christian McClendon

6'2 Jaleel Gray

6'5 Dontel Rice

6'6 Kevon Rice

I also think they they could be very tough down low if 6'8 sophomore David Stephens comes in to his own. He is very raw right now but could be 6'9 or 6'10 by the time he's done growing. He's already bigger than Pittman.

Who does Clarke County graduate? Do they have a point guard in the upcoming classes? They seem to struggle at that position against the stronger teams.

I believe Kindred is the only player they graduate.

They return the following starters next year:

6'4 Robbie Stenzel

6'4 Cory Rogers

6'6 Jaylen Daniel

6'7 Travis Purvis

6'9 Vinny Zollo

They will be tough to beat with that kind of size in their starting lineup.

I agree....Holmes will be better than a lot of people think next year.

Their junior class is extremely underrated because of the the Johnson Brothers and Pittman. Obviously next year's team won't be as talented as this year's squad, but they will be very deep.

I expect the following players to all be significant contributors next year:

6'0 Pierre Mayfield

6'1 Chris Hayes

6'1 Christian McClendon

6'2 Jaleel Gray

6'5 Dontel Rice

6'6 Kevon Rice

I also think they they could be very tough down low if 6'8 sophomore David Stephens comes in to his own. He is very raw right now but could be 6'9 or 6'10 by the time he's done growing. He's already bigger than Pittman.

I agree with Walter. The 9th region should be wide open but don't expect Holmes to just lay down for teams because the big 3 are gone. I understand Kevon Rice's younger brother is a pretty good player and if Kevon can live up to his hype of 2 years ago I believe they may have a strong front court. Their guards Mayfield and Hayes have had some varsity experience and if McClendon lives up to his hype they could have the makings of a good team. There is always the possibility of a transfer or 2 that could also help. Kids move around a lot these days to find better programs, coaches, academics, etc.

Who does Clarke County graduate? Do they have a point guard in the upcoming classes? They seem to struggle at that position against the stronger teams.

We do have a guard for next year if all goes well. He has not played last year or this year for medical reasons. Hopefully he will get to play next year. Won't mention his name, that will come later if he is cleared by his doctors.

I believe Kindred is the only player they graduate.

They return the following starters next year:

6'4 Robbie Stenzel

6'4 Cory Rogers

6'6 Jaylen Daniel

6'7 Travis Purvis

6'9 Vinny Zollo

They will be tough to beat with that kind of size in their starting lineup.

You are correct Chase is the only senior on the team.

I agree with Walter. The 9th region should be wide open but don't expect Holmes to just lay down for teams because the big 3 are gone. I understand Kevon Rice's younger brother is a pretty good player and if Kevon can live up to his hype of 2 years ago I believe they may have a strong front court. Their guards Mayfield and Hayes have had some varsity experience and if McClendon lives up to his hype they could have the makings of a good team. There is always the possibility of a transfer or 2 that could also help. Kids move around a lot these days to find better programs, coaches, academics, etc.

Boy wouldnt that be convenient much like it was 3 yrs ago for Coach Henley :clap:.

I may buy that they wont be a shlep but I certainly think they have a lot of holes to fill and nobody outside of Kevon Rice has garnered any legit Varsity minutes. Hayes has played what seems like more than the others at the guard spot but potential only gets you so far. With that said, great coaching and tradition also can get you where you didnt think you would end up.

I guess its a wait and see with the Bulldogs.

Boy wouldnt that be convenient much like it was 3 yrs ago for Coach Henley :clap:.

I may buy that they wont be a shlep but I certainly think they have a lot of holes to fill and nobody outside of Kevon Rice has garnered any legit Varsity minutes. Hayes has played what seems like more than the others at the guard spot but potential only gets you so far. With that said, great coaching and tradition also can get you where you didnt think you would end up.

I guess its a wait and see with the Bulldogs.

Come on Q, you know the Johnson Brothers are both Covington boys and grew up in that system.

You're correct though in saying that Holmes will have some holes to fill because of inexperience at the guard positions. Jaleel Gay and Chris Hayes will form a pretty solid backcourt though. Holmes will rely a lot on their quickness and pressure next year.

Should be interesting to see how things unfold.

I agree, Stauffer and Vollet are back but I watched Highlands JV just destroy their JV team by 30 and they looked thin on talent. The Freshman team has a couple players at best but nobody who will contribute at the varsity level right away next year. They may stick in the top 10 with Stauffer but Top 3 team NO WAY.

Perkins and Stinson will be back and neither of them plays JV.