Best teams in 2011

I agree. The 9th region will be wide open next year.

The 9th region should belong to Conner next year. They return 3 starters and 5 from their 7 man varsity rotation. Liechty, who is the 6th man this year has played varsity since he was a freshman. The will have

Jacob Flesch 6'0" SR

Taylor Miller 6'0" SR

Jordan Liechty 6'2" SR

Clay Robinson 6'6" SR

Tyler Hodges 6'8" SR

Brandon Ernstes 6'5" SR

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Boy wouldnt that be convenient much like it was 3 yrs ago for Coach Henley :clap:.

I may buy that they wont be a shlep but I certainly think they have a lot of holes to fill and nobody outside of Kevon Rice has garnered any legit Varsity minutes. Hayes has played what seems like more than the others at the guard spot but potential only gets you so far. With that said, great coaching and tradition also can get you where you didnt think you would end up.

I guess its a wait and see with the Bulldogs.

Like someone else posted the Johnson brothers are Covington kids who left the system because of circumstances beyond their control. There are a lot kids that unfortunately get caught in that same situation within the inner city public school systems. Also every school has a down period where the talent level falls off some for a few years. Holmes has experienced it in the past as have others. If you look at enrollments Holmes number of students has been decreasing where most of the county schools are overflowing. Schools like Cooper are going to see the benefits of increasing enrollments due to growth in their school districts and Holmes will have to depend on the families that are born and raised in the inner city.

The 9th region should belong to Conner next year. They return 3 starters and 5 from their 7 man varsity rotation. Liechty, who is the 6th man this year has played varsity since he was a freshman. The will have

Jacob Flesch 6'0" SR

Taylor Miller 6'0" SR

Jordan Liechty 6'2" SR

Clay Robinson 6'6" SR

Tyler Hodges 6'8" SR

Brandon Ernstes 6'5" SR

Conner will be tough next year but I don't know about the region "belonging to them."

There will be a lot of quality teams next year in the 9th and there are 5 or 6 teams who could win the region.

Come on Q, you know the Johnson Brothers are both Covington boys and grew up in that system.

You're correct though in saying that Holmes will have some holes to fill because of inexperience at the guard positions. Jaleel Gay and Chris Hayes will form a pretty solid backcourt though. Holmes will rely a lot on their quickness and pressure next year.

Should be interesting to see how things unfold.

Housely and Avery transferring didn't hurt Holmes depth either.

Just flipping through Cat's Pause, I found 5 teams who have multiple juniors that were rated as preseason top 10 players in their respective regions. These include:

Region - School; Players

1 - Graves County; Anderson & Morris,

2 - Christian County; Kates, Hickey, & Lewis

10 - Clark County; Stenzel & Zollo

11 - Tates Creek; Fucci & Barkesdale

12 - Wayne County; Dunagan & Shearer

Some other teams that I'd add for consideration:

Scott Co., Lexington Catholic, Trinity, Eastern, & Holmes,

As far as the mountains (or Regions 13-15) go, I look for Clay County,Hazard and possibly Knott Central to replace Shelby Valley, Corbin, and Perry Central in state-wide rankings.

JV scores and records cannot be used to determine how a team's varsity will be the following year. Conner's jv struggles this year alot and they will likely be the top team in Boone County next year because of the amount of varsity experience they return. Boone will be tough as always. Montgomery and Brown are very solid, but how much deeper do they go without throwing in players with little to no varsity experience?

Brown and Montgomery had very little varsity experience coming into this year as well, and seem to be filling in pretty good. Mcreary, Downs, Stanley, Crabtree, and Burgess will be in the same position next year and should be able to get into the flow of varsity ball pretty quickly having practiced against the talent of their current varsity teamates. The jv scores and records are created by the talent on the court, so it has to have some weight as they move on to varsity.

As for Conner, they will be similar to Highlands of this year. Loaded with senior talent and not much needed from their underclassmen.

I think you gotta put Elliott County in this mix for next year as well, Knipp

will only get better along with Ison and Nickell. Those three can go along way

if a fourth scorer steps up who can average 7-8 points on a consistent basis the Lions will be right back in championship conversation.