If the goal is a level playing field shouldn't the first order of business be...

theguru

to classify basketball?

Here is a quote from the most recent article on the public/private debate:

Sears explained: "Why are we more involved? A heightened awareness, I believe, of the inequities that seem to now prevail across the entire athletic communities across the state."

IMHO, nothing is more inequitable than making Class 1A and 2A schools compete with schools several times there size in postseason play like we do in basketball and baseball in KY.

If guys like Sears want high school athletics to be equitable they need to look at basketball and baseball long before they take issue with private schools.

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This might be an unpopular opinion, but I like the current basketball and baseball setup as is. Small schools have the All A Classic and a chance for some statewide exposure during the season, and they can still compete with the bigger schools in the postseason.

And, for the record, I'm not for any proposal that separates public and private schools.

west,

As a fan I love the current basketball set up but it is grossly unfair to the small schools.

And winning he All A Classic does not make you state champs. It is like kissing your sister, it is a girl, and she may be pretty, but it is still your sister.

to classify basketball?

Here is a quote from the most recent article on the public/private debate:

IMHO, nothing is more inequitable than making Class 1A and 2A schools compete with schools several times there size in postseason play like we do in basketball and baseball in KY.

If guys like Sears want high school athletics to be equitable they need to look at basketball and baseball long before they take issue with private schools.

How about this too?

1. Help/facilitate/mandate that ALL public schools offer a KHSAA sport as long as there is enough interest to field a team and it is financially feasible. That means Boys and Girls Soccer teams, Boys and Girls Track teams etc. It is amazing that in a public school Girls can have a soccer team, but Boys in the same school cannot.

2. Classify ALL sports uniformly. Why are there 4 football classes, 1 basketball class, 1 volleyball class, 3 track classes?

How about this too?

1. Help/facilitate/mandate that ALL public schools offer a KHSAA sport as long as there is enough interest to field a team and it is financially feasible. That means Boys and Girls Soccer teams, Boys and Girls Track teams etc. It is amazing that in a public school Girls can have a soccer team, but Boys in the same school cannot.

2. Classify ALL sports uniformly. Why are there 4 football classes, 1 basketball class, 1 volleyball class, 3 track classes?

Make your own thread for this issue.

west,

As a fan I love the current basketball set up but it is grossly unfair to the small schools.

And winning he All A Classic does not make you state champs. It is like kissing your sister, it is a girl, and she may be pretty, but it is still your sister.

Not so sure I agree with that. Winning the All A is a pretty big thing to most small schools. I am sure that Coach Runyon of Paintsville would love to win that Title even though he already has a Sweet 16 Title. I think most would agree that small schools do much better in basketball and baseball against the larger schools than they do in football.

Not so sure I agree with that. Winning the All A is a pretty big thing to most small schools. I am sure that Coach Runyon of Paintsville would love to win that Title even though he already has a Sweet 16 Title. I think most would agree that small schools do much better in basketball and baseball against the larger schools than they do in football.

The point is, the All A Classic is not a sanctioned state title.

And of course schools that win the All A like to hype it up a lot...

The point is, the All A Classic is not a sanctioned state title.

And of course schools that win the All A like to hype it up a lot...

I was not aware it wasn't a sanctioned title. It really isn't the All A either. However, everyone that wins it considers themselves "state champs" of the small schools.

Maybe you need to research this issue some more before posting anymore in this thread.

I am speaking from past experience. Most of the teams I was envolved with had their season ended by a private school. I do not think they should be banned. However, I will say that in baseball and basketball the publics for the most part, can hold their own.

I ask this question because I really do not know the answer: Apx. How many state titles did a private school win in the past 5 years in basketball and football?