If the goal is a level playing field shouldn't the first order of business be...

theguru

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

to classify basketball?

Here is a quote from the most recent article on the public/private debate:

IMHO, nothing is more inequitable than making Class 1A and 2A schools compete with schools several times there size in postseason play like we do in basketball and baseball in KY.

If guys like Sears want high school athletics to be equitable they need to look at basketball and baseball long before they take issue with private schools.

It would be all sports not just basketball.

Stud,

You are wrong. My cousin started for NCC when they won the All A. I went to the games, took off work and had a great time. It was awesome, however, it still is not a sanctioned state title.

Teams/Fans/Players/Coaches can hype the All A up as much as they want but the All A champ is no more a state title holder than the winner of the LIT each year.

Of course the KHSAA loves the All A (in some ways) because the hollow titles keep the rebels under control.

I am sure that you will see a banner hanging in the schools that have won the Class A state title, claiming a state title.

The Coaches/people from Class A Schools that I know LOVE the All A, and the Sweet 16 as it currently is held. I'm not for changing ANYTHING with basketball, I think it is as billed: "The Greatest Show in Hoops".

Pretty ironic that Somerset is behind trying to kick the privates out of the KHSAA. As I'm told, Somerset was VERY instrumental in kicking out the Laurel County Schools from the 12th Region. Pretty picky on who they will and won't play, imo.

Stud,

You are wrong. My cousin started for NCC when they won the All A. I went to the games, took off work and had a great time. It was awesome, however, it still is not a sanctioned state title.

Teams/Fans/Players/Coaches can hype the All A up as much as they want but the All A champ is no more a state title holder than the winner of the LIT each year.

Of course the KHSAA loves the All A (in some ways) because the hollow titles keep the rebels under control.

And just to add a log to the fire, I will reiterate, no NKY Class A school has won the 9th region A title since Walton-Verona in the early 90's. THe private schools have just passed it around.

Sounds like some schools need to get better.

Or not have their talent playing for other schools. 2 years ago, 3 young ladies were on the 9th region all-tournament team. All 3 had played varsity for a certain A public school. Only 1 of the 3 were still playing for that school when they were named on the all-tournament team. If the 3 had stayed, they probably would have had a chance to compete for that title.

And just to add a log to the fire, I will reiterate, no NKY Class A school has won the 9th region A title since Walton-Verona in the early 90's. THe private schools have just passed it around.

I would take an educated guess that those private A schools that have won the 9th region A titles have had a core group of players that have played with and against each other from the 1st grade thru the 8th grade. Additionally, that same core has probably played with each other or against each other in multiple AAU leagues. Some kids probably average 50-60 games a year.

Now there is no reason that public school students cannot do the same thing and many of them have already started leagues and formed AAU teams. Maybe not to the extent of the private schools yet but it could be soon.

If their main complaint is football, the only class that's shown private school dominance is in 4A. Which makes their point invalid. If their main complaint is Lex Cath (which it is), they have not shown anything close to dominance in football at any level. Which makes this point invalid. I can't believe I'm saying this but Guru's right, classify all sports or quit whining. This has to start with basketball. It looks like their only goal is to eliminate private schools from playing in KHSAA sanctioned tournaments when their main goal is doing the right thing.

Thanks Sticky!

APNW, funny you should mention playing together all those years. I will tell you one thing, my son is in the 3rd grade in public school and finding a basketball team to play on is like finding Bigfoot. We finally went the pay to play route which has nothing to do with the school system.

This is one of the problems with public schools, the private schools work their butt off with kids from a very early age and one of the paybacks is success on the varsity level.

The public schools (who in my opinion often have the most talent) need to realize success doesn't just happen.