Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

If the goal is a level playing field shouldn't the first order of business be...

Featured Replies

  • Author
How do you get better when you can only play with the kids in your district? You can have the greatest coach in the world and the greatest facilities in the world but if you happen to have a limited number of athletes you are not going to get better and you cannot talk to anyone about coming to your school unless they are already at your feeder school. How do you get better? You seem to think there is some magical formula - you apparently have never coached a high school team in your life - it comes down to athletes. If you don't have them, you won't win and when your enrollment is limited to a certain area (like in the public schools) you compete with what you have. If you get lucky a couple of times and have some success, people will amazingly "move into your district" but if you never catch that luck charm when all the stars align you simply go with what you got.

 

If you have to ask how much something is you cannot afford it.

 

And for the record, I do have varsity coaching experience.

  • Replies 121
  • Views 13.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The atmosphere at both the regional and state tournaments for the ALL A are as electric as the sweet 16 in my mind. I think anyone who has experienced will agree.

 

Experienced the All A or the Sweet 16?

And just to add a log to the fire, I will reiterate, no NKY Class A school has won the 9th region A title since Walton-Verona in the early 90's. THe private schools have just passed it around.

 

Do you mean that private schools have won the All A since the early 90's? Sorry, I'm a little confused by your post.

Experienced the All A or the Sweet 16?

Yes.

Yes.

 

While the All A is a positive thing for many small schools, it is nowhere near as electric as the Sweet 16. The All A is a great tournament for a lot of "A" schools, but to say insinuate that these two tournaments are on the same level is absurd, if you ask me.

While the All A is a positive thing for many small schools, it is nowhere near as electric as the Sweet 16. The All A is a great tournament for a lot of "A" schools, but to say insinuate that these two tournaments are on the same level is absurd, if you ask me.

 

Rupp vs. McBrayer Arena would seem to validate your agument.

 

I guess the smaller arena with a loud crowd does make it electric. However, you can't tell me its more electric than any of the Sweet 16 games especially Friday and Saturday.

While the All A is a positive thing for many small schools, it is nowhere near as electric as the Sweet 16. The All A is a great tournament for a lot of "A" schools, but to say insinuate that these two tournaments are on the same level is absurd, if you ask me.

Same level is not what I was trying to say. I just didn't like how it was trying to be discredited. I've been to many sweet 16's and its awesome. But unless you have experienced the All A state you won't understand how much it means to alot of small schools. The EKU gym is always packed and it is electric in its own right.

I guess the smaller arena with a loud crowd does make it electric. However, you can't tell me its more electric than any of the Sweet 16 games especially Friday and Saturday.

 

It is tough to have an electric crowd when you only have 20,000+ fans cheering.

Rupp vs. McBrayer Arena would seem to validate your agument.

 

I guess the smaller arena with a loud crowd does make it electric. However, you can't tell me its more electric than any of the Sweet 16 games especially Friday and Saturday.

Again sweet 16 is special and is hard to match on any level.

 

But there are games I've watched at EKU that would go down as some of the best HS games i've ever watched.

 

Is it as good as the Sweet 16 no, but is is special and mean alot to ALL A schools absolutley.

Same level is not what I was trying to say. I just didn't like how it was trying to be discredited. I've been to many sweet 16's and its awesome. But unless you have experienced the All A state you won't understand how much it means to alot of small schools. The EKU gym is always packed and it is electric in its own right.

 

How about until you experience the Sweet 16 you won't understand how much it means to EVERY school, and the rest of the state?

 

I've been to more All A State tournaments than Sweet 16's, honestly. Nothing in high school sports compares to the Sweet 16, at least not in Kentucky.

 

Like I said, the All A is a great thing for small schools, and as theguru mentioned, it has kept some of the schools off of the KHSAA's back...

 

But there are games I've watched at EKU that would go down as some of the best HS games i've ever watched.

 

 

I've seen a few great games at Holmes, Covington Catholic, Ryle, Conner, Newport Central Catholic.

 

I'm sure that the All A means a lot to small schools...as it should. But I don't think that it should mean more than a regional title, and I'd imagine that many teams use the All A as a type of preparation for the Big show in March.

How about until you experience the Sweet 16 you won't understand how much it means to EVERY school, and the rest of the state?

 

I've been to more All A State tournaments than Sweet 16's, honestly. Nothing in high school sports compares to the Sweet 16, at least not in Kentucky.

 

Like I said, the All A is a great thing for small schools, and as theguru mentioned, it has kept some of the schools off of the KHSAA's back...

 

 

I have experienced many sweet 16 and you all are looking way to far into my post. I have never taken anything away from the sweet 16, I just took it to heart when people were trying to make the ALL A out to be a joke. Usually the winner of the ALL A has a legit shot at the Sweet 16.

And winning he All A Classic does not make you state champs. It is like kissing your sister, it is a girl, and she may be pretty, but it is still your sister.

 

 

Thats what bothered me, becuase an ALL A state title means alot to these schools and they take it serisouly. No reason to discredit the title. I don't discredit Class A football teams for not beating the top big schools.

I've seen a few great games at Holmes, Covington Catholic, Ryle, Conner, Newport Central Catholic.

 

I'm sure that the All A means a lot to small schools...as it should. But I don't think that it should mean more than a regional title, and I'd imagine that many teams use the All A as a type of preparation for the Big show in March.

Most ALL A team's if they approach it as we did at HC, the ALL tourney is considered a different season almost. What you did prior and after does not matter during that 2 week stretch.

I've had the good fortune to be on the floor at Freedom Hall, many years ago as a player, and more recently on the floor of McBrayer Arena at EKU for the All A State Championship, and in Rupp Arena for the Sweet 16.

 

In all fairness, there's nothing I've experienced that approaches the atmosphere of Rupp Arena for a high school state tourney. It is one of the finest venues in the nation.

 

Even so, the All A at McBrayer Arena approaches the atmosphere and excitement of the Sweet 16 at Freedom Hall years ago.

 

I accept that it is not a "sanctioned" state tournament per se, but it is as big as it gets for many small schools, both public and private. It is taking on an excitement all its own.

 

IMO, the KHSAA stands to lose a great deal of revenue, and the monopoly they currently have in high school sports if they choose to separate public and private schools. If they were to do this, there would be very little to prevent the private schools from forming their own governing body totally independent of the KHSAA. Thus, all membership fees, broadcast rights, equipment contracts, tournament revenues, etc. from private schools would remain with private schools.

 

Even with all the pressure and desperation from the public schools, I can't imagine how the KHSAA would ever be so short sighted.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.