If the goal is a level playing field shouldn't the first order of business be...

theguru

I agree with theguru about how schools get their students. Is football classified based on the number of students in the top three classes (sophomores, juniors, and seniors) in a high school? If so, don't they include the girls in that number? Since Covington Catholic is an all boys school, aren't they classified based on their sophomores, juniors, and seniors who are all boys?

CCH is a 3A school with 480 students(9 through 12 as KY uses all 4 grades). Single sex schools have their enrollment doubled for classification purposes. If not, CCH would be 2A .

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

MB - the issue in your mind, like many, is "how private schools get their students". I assume the main issue is drawing from a wide area or from out of a district, correct? If so, can I assume that you would also take this proposal one step further and remove Independent school districts and put them with the private schools?

I don't know how independant school districts work where you live. But where I live they are just like other public schools. Example. Corbin and Williamsburg are Independent school districts that have specific boundaries just like the County schools. They are funded from taxes just like the county schools. So I'm not sure I understand your point.

I misunderstood this before.

To answer your question because even if it was the way you are stating (it is not) it is still apples and oranges. Football is classified because it is not fair for a school with 100 boys to have to compete with a school with a 1000 boys. This is exactly why basketball and baseball should be classified too.

Now, on to how schools get their students, I will repeat this again because everyone either ignores it or just doesn't get it:

You can't self impose restrictions on your own school district and then complain that others won't do the same. The practice is not only stupid but it is un-american.

1) You're mixing issue. First the classification of Basketball, Baseball, etc has nothing to do with seperation of private schools. In fact, I think the seperation of private schools is the first step toward classifying the other sports.

2) School districts don't self impose boudaries. To change a school districts boundaries they have to have state board approval. For example, Laurel County schools couldn't decide to include half of whitley county in their school district. And since those that live outside the Laurel County district don't pay taxes, they can't afford afford to let those students come in mass. I think you don't get get it, or are ignoring it.

Again, if it's okay to seperate by size. I don't see the problem in seperating by the mode in which students are attracted.

I don't know how independant school districts work where you live. But where I live they are just like other public schools. Example. Corbin and Williamsburg are Independent school districts that have specific boundaries just like the County schools. They are funded from taxes just like the county schools. So I'm not sure I understand your point.

I would say all independent schools work like that. However, at least in NKY, they accept students from out-of-district. So, we've got the same issue - getting kids from outside of their normal district. Should we lump them with private schools?

I would say all independent schools work like that. However, at least in NKY, they accept students from out-of-district. So, we've got the same issue - getting kids from outside of their normal district. Should we lump them with private schools?

Many school districts accept a limited number of kids from out of district. Most schools in this area have recipricol agreements, so the schools that the student attends gets the state money. However it's a different issue to confuse schools who have a SMALL number of out of district kids, with Private schools that have to recruit ALL students.

Again, I'm not a private hater. I think it would be silly to talk negatively about a group of schools that do a better job at educating our kids. I just think that like schools should compete against each other for state titles.

Many school districts accept a limited number of kids from out of district. Most schools in this area have recipricol agreements, so the schools that the student attends gets the state money. However it's a different issue to confuse schools who have a SMALL number of out of district kids, with Private schools that have to recruit ALL students.

Again, I'm not a private hater. I think it would be silly to talk negatively about a group of schools that do a better job at educating our kids. I just think that like schools should compete against each other for state titles.

But there are some private schools who have LESS out of district (feeder parish) kids (which is sometimes hard to define since they do not have technically have districts) than some public schools.

Plus there are some private schools that by design (for example Covington Latin) offer a tract that other private schools do not and therefore are designed to draw students from all over. (Kind of like a magnet school.)

But there are some private schools who have LESS out of district (feeder parish) kids (which is sometimes hard to define since they do not have technically have districts) than some public schools.

Plus there are some private schools that by design (for example Covington Latin) offer a tract that other private schools do not and therefore are designed to draw students from all over. (Kind of like a magnet school.)

Again this is getting off on a tangent. But there are no "in district" kids for Private schools. The "feeder parish" kids are all from some other school district, that they would have attended had the private school not been an option.

The only point of the comparison was to show that Independent school districts have no similarity to Private districts.

Guru, I'm still waiting for you to explain why it's okay to classify by size to avoid a competitive advantage, but it's not okay put private schools in a seperate class to avoid a competitive advantage.

Again this is getting off on a tangent. But there are no "in district" kids for Private schools. The "feeder parish" kids are all from some other school district, that they would have attended had the private school not been an option.

The only point of the comparison was to show that Independent school districts have no similarity to Private districts.

Guru, I'm still waiting for you to explain why it's okay to classify by size to avoid a competitive advantage, but it's not okay put private schools in a seperate class to avoid a competitive advantage.

It's because you have not established the competitive advantage. All that has been established is disparate results. They are not the same.

2) School districts don't self impose boudaries. To change a school districts boundaries they have to have state board approval. For example, Laurel County schools couldn't decide to include half of whitley county in their school district. And since those that live outside the Laurel County district don't pay taxes, they can't afford afford to let those students come in mass. I think you don't get get it, or are ignoring it.

Again, if it's okay to seperate by size. I don't see the problem in seperating by the mode in which students are attracted.

You are wrong! Schools do self impose. Their boundaries are set (but that doesn't mean a thing) because any school that wants to is free to take students from anywhere which means public schools and private schools are both able to take students from anywhere but some public schools choose not to do so.

What specific competitive advantage are you speaking about?

You are wrong! Schools do self impose. Their boundaries are set (but that doesn't mean a thing) because any school that wants to is free to take students from anywhere which means public schools and private schools are both able to take students from anywhere but some public schools choose not to do so.

The state money doesn't follow students outside district boundaries unless there is an agreement between both districts involved.

Sounds like some schools need to get better.

How do you get better when you can only play with the kids in your district? You can have the greatest coach in the world and the greatest facilities in the world but if you happen to have a limited number of athletes you are not going to get better and you cannot talk to anyone about coming to your school unless they are already at your feeder school. How do you get better? You seem to think there is some magical formula - you apparently have never coached a high school team in your life - it comes down to athletes. If you don't have them, you won't win and when your enrollment is limited to a certain area (like in the public schools) you compete with what you have. If you get lucky a couple of times and have some success, people will amazingly "move into your district" but if you never catch that luck charm when all the stars align you simply go with what you got.

I will tell you one thing, my son is in the 3rd grade in public school and finding a basketball team to play on is like finding Bigfoot. We finally went the pay to play route which has nothing to do with the school system.

This is one of the problems with public schools, the private schools work their butt off with kids from a very early age and one of the paybacks is success on the varsity level.

The public schools (who in my opinion often have the most talent) need to realize success doesn't just happen.

This IMO is the best post on this topic in the entire thread. It sums things up nicely in general terms. Yes, there are some schools public and private that are exceptions, but this definitely seems to be the rule.