If the goal is a level playing field shouldn't the first order of business be...

theguru

I would take an educated guess that those private A schools that have won the 9th region A titles have had a core group of players that have played with and against each other from the 1st grade thru the 8th grade. Additionally, that same core has probably played with each other or against each other in multiple AAU leagues. Some kids probably average 50-60 games a year.

Now there is no reason that public school students cannot do the same thing and many of them have already started leagues and formed AAU teams. Maybe not to the extent of the private schools yet but it could be soon.

Please see post #40

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks Sticky!

APNW, funny you should mention playing together all those years. I will tell you one thing, my son is in the 3rd grade in public school and finding a basketball team to play on is like finding Bigfoot. We finally went the pay to play route which has nothing to do with the school system.

This is one of the problems with public schools, the private schools work their butt off with kids from a very early age and one of the paybacks is success on the varsity level.

The public schools (who in my opinion often have the most talent) need to realize success doesn't just happen.

Agree with the bolded 100%.

APNW, funny you should mention playing together all those years. I will tell you one thing, my son is in the 3rd grade in public school and finding a basketball team to play on is like finding Bigfoot.

This is one of the problems with public schools, the private schools work their butt off with kids from a very early age and one of the paybacks is success on the varsity level.

The Catholic school where my youngest child attends has approximately 35 to 40 basketball teams in grades 3 through 8 boys and girls. It takes a lot of time and effort but obviously by the number of teams it is serving a need.

The way I see it there is just one thing wrong with the athletic institution that we have in palce now. And it's not class structure. I am fine with the way the classes are structured in each sport and I think if you asked the all the schools in the state if they were satisfied with our current situation, the majority of them would say yes. The problem I have is the recruiting issue. What should be done is one of two things:

1) Let every school in the state, public and private, recruit any kid they want from where ever they want and lets change the way the state government distributes money to schools.

or

2) Limit the private school recruiting to only kids that live in the county that the private school resides in. Then we can open up all the public schools to be able to recruit kids within their counties. Jerfferson County and Northern Kentucky already do this. It really doesn't seem fair that Highlands gets to have a Northern Kentucky all star team every year and Male High School can have the pick of the litter in Louisville after Trinity and St. X are finnished getting the kids they want while all the other county schools in the state have to stick to kids that are in their district. I know that this would not help those eastern Kentucky schools with only one high school in their district, but it would at least be a start.

I vote for the first option

It maybe not be sanctioned by all small schools count it. They look forward to it, if a school say like HC or NCC know there slightly down. They know they might now win the big title but then the ALL A becomes there super bowl. What will be the difference if its sanctioned by the KHSAA? I love the ALL A and enjoyed every moment playing in it. Its not hype and I guess you never particpating can't truley understand.

Do they order rings?

2) Limit the private school recruiting to only kids that live in the county that the private school resides in. Then we can open up all the public schools to be able to recruit kids within their counties. Jerfferson County and Northern Kentucky already do this. It really doesn't seem fair that Highlands gets to have a Northern Kentucky all star team every year and Male High School can have the pick of the litter in Louisville after Trinity and St. X are finnished getting the kids they want while all the other county schools in the state have to stick to kids that are in their district. I know that this would not help those eastern Kentucky schools with only one high school in their district, but it would at least be a start.

I vote for the first option

This is each individual county's school board's decision. We have open enrollment for the JCPHS's, and it works very well. And if I live in Oldham County and want to send my kids to Trinity, that had better be allowed, it is my $.

Or not have their talent playing for other schools. 2 years ago, 3 young ladies were on the 9th region all-tournament team. All 3 had played varsity for a certain A public school. Only 1 of the 3 were still playing for that school when they were named on the all-tournament team. If the 3 had stayed, they probably would have had a chance to compete for that title.

News flash. This happens at public schools as well as private schools.

The most noted case in NKY history involved a girl B-Ball player that played 2 years of Varsity at Public small school B as a 7th and 8th grader, transfered to medium Public School H for Frosh, Soph, Junior years, and then to large Public school BC for Senior year.

Would small public school B have had a chance to compete for a title had she stayed there? Sure. Should the other Public schools be put in a separate class now?

News flash. This happens at public schools as well as private schools.

The most noted case in NKY history involved a girl B-Ball player that played 2 years of Varsity at Public small school B as a 7th and 8th grader, transfered to medium Public School H for Frosh, Soph, Junior years, and then to large Public school BC for Senior year.

Would small public school B have had a chance to compete for a title had she stayed there? Sure. Should the other Public schools be put in a separate class now?

Well, I wonder what that young lady name would be. ;)

I see no problem with putting private schools in a class of their own. If it's okay to seperate by enrollment to complete for state titles. I see no problem in seperating by how schools get their students. In fact, I think it's a double standard to do otherwise. I am in favor of 5 classes. The 4 as they are now, plus a private class.

To pull in classifiying basketball is a smoke and mirror trick. Rather than discredit the topic at hand, a side issue is brought in to deflect attention. That way proponents of seperate private school classification are forced to argue on multiple fronts.

I see no problem with putting private schools in a class of their own. If it's okay to seperate by enrollment to complete for state titles. I see no problem in seperating by how schools get their students. In fact, I think it's a double standard to do otherwise. I am in favor of 5 classes. The 4 as they are now, plus a private class.

To pull in classifiying basketball is a smoke and mirror trick. Rather than discredit the topic at hand, a side issue is brought in to deflect attention. That way proponents of seperate private school classification are forced to argue on multiple fronts.

How is the basktball argument a "smoke and mirror trick"?