What a 16-team tourney would look like ...

westsider

My annual proposal:

Seven leagues get automatic bids. Another one is taken from the highest BCS rating among the other leagues.

Big East ... Cincinnati

ACC ... Georgia Tech

SEC ... Alabama

Big 10 ... Ohio State

Big 12 ... Nebraska

Mountain West ... TCU

Pac-10 ... Oregon

Smaller leagues ... Boise State

Then use the BCS rankings to select at-large teams and seed the tournament.

1 vs. 16 ... Alabama vs. West Virginia

8 vs. 9 ... Ohio State vs. Georgia Tech

4 vs. 13 ... TCU vs. Penn State

5 vs. 12 ... Florida vs. LSU

2 vs. 15 ... Texas vs. Miami

7 vs. 10 ... Oregon vs. Iowa

3 vs. 14 ... Cincinnati vs. Brigham Young

6 vs. 11 ... Boise State vs. Virginia Tech

The NCAA basketball tournament reserves the right to adjust seeding to keep teams in the same conference or met during the regular season to avoid playing each other in the first round. They also do so to keep teams from the same league from meeting in the first two rounds.

Since the 5-12 game is Florida vs. LSU, the Tigers have to be moved. The only move is to switch LSU with #11 Virginia Tech.

That gives us these first-round games:

Alabama vs. West Virginia

Ohio State vs. Georgia Tech

TCU vs. Penn State

Florida vs. Virginia Tech

Texas vs. Miami

Oregon vs. Iowa

Cincinnati vs. Brigham Young

Boise State vs. LSU

What's not to love about that?

My annual proposal:

Seven leagues get automatic bids. Another one is taken from the highest BCS rating among the other leagues.

Big East ... Cincinnati

ACC ... Georgia Tech

SEC ... Alabama

Big 10 ... Ohio State

Big 12 ... Nebraska

Mountain West ... TCU

Pac-10 ... Oregon

Smaller leagues ... Boise State

Then use the BCS rankings to select at-large teams and seed the tournament.

1 vs. 16 ... Alabama vs. West Virginia

8 vs. 9 ... Ohio State vs. Georgia Tech

4 vs. 13 ... TCU vs. Penn State

5 vs. 12 ... Florida vs. LSU

2 vs. 15 ... Texas vs. Miami

7 vs. 10 ... Oregon vs. Iowa

3 vs. 14 ... Cincinnati vs. Brigham Young

6 vs. 11 ... Boise State vs. Virginia Tech

The NCAA basketball tournament reserves the right to adjust seeding to keep teams in the same conference or met during the regular season to avoid playing each other in the first round. They also do so to keep teams from the same league from meeting in the first two rounds.

Since the 5-12 game is Florida vs. LSU, the Tigers have to be moved. The only move is to switch LSU with #11 Virginia Tech.

That gives us these first-round games:

Alabama vs. West Virginia

Ohio State vs. Georgia Tech

TCU vs. Penn State

Florida vs. Virginia Tech

Texas vs. Miami

Oregon vs. Iowa

Cincinnati vs. Brigham Young

Boise State vs. LSU

What's not to love about that?

16 teams is way to much IMO and is something that we definitely won't see happen I don't think because of it being to long. We probably will be lucky to get a plus one, but the best one IMO is an 8 team playoff. This way the season is just as important as it is now, which seems to be something people worry about. One loss still could keep you out, so the season means everything still. However you actually crown a champion by playing the game on the field. Have the 6 BCS conference champions in it, and two at larges. Which this year the two at larges would have been TCU and Boise. Florida would be left out, because they couldn't win their own conference and TCU and Boise were undefeated so they would deserve their shot. Now if there aren't two undefeated non BCS teams, then a one loss team like a Florida could have slipped in there then still. 8 team playoff system would be the best because the best teams get rewarded for their play during the season, and then they get a fair shot at playing for the title.

16 teams is way to much IMO and is something that we definitely won't see happen I don't think because of it being to long. We probably will be lucky to get a plus one, but the best one IMO is an 8 team playoff. This way the season is just as important as it is now, which seems to be something people worry about. One loss still could keep you out, so the season means everything still. However you actually crown a champion by playing the game on the field. Have the 6 BCS conference champions in it, and two at larges. Which this year the two at larges would have been TCU and Boise. Florida would be left out, because they couldn't win their own conference and TCU and Boise were undefeated so they would deserve their shot. Now if there aren't two undefeated non BCS teams, then a one loss team like a Florida could have slipped in there then still. 8 team playoff system would be the best because the best teams get rewarded for their play during the season, and then they get a fair shot at playing for the title.

How would it be too long? If it started this coming up Saturday and they played each round every Saturday after the title game would be on Jan 2nd. When will the BCS title game be again?

Personally, I love it. I think 8 teams would be sufficient. At this point if they could even start the process with an 'And 1' situation, I would see that as progress.

#1 Alabama vs #4 TCU

#2 Texas vs #3 Cincinnati

With the winners to meet in the title game. THAT alone would be a major step in the right direction. Then move to 8 teams the next season.

I like an 8-team tournament with the winners of the 6 major BCS conferences getting automatic bids, and 2 at-large schools coming from non-BCS conferences. Also, the conference championship games would be de facto first round games with the loser being eliminated from contention. For example, this year Florida would be out of the tournament after losing to 'Bama. That means every conference would be required to play a conference championship.

I believe that would accomplish a few things...a reward for winning your conference, a chance for the non-BCS schools to win a title, and it would maintain the importance of the regular season that many BCS supporters point to. In fact, I think it might make it better, because you'd have more teams in big games fighting for an opportunity to play for a championship, knowing that second place in the conference leaves you on the outside looking in. That would also leave plenty of good matchups for bowl games with everything from the second best in every conference available to pick from.

Now, somebody tell me what's not to love about a system like that.

Texas vs. Miami? I love that one. I honestly think the Canes would take it. And that's not being a homer in all honesty.

That is being nothing but a homer if you think Miami would win. Yeah Texas struggled with Nebraska. That was the first real time the struggled this year, I don't even think that game would be that close. About a 3 touchdown win IMO for Texas IMO, and this is coming from someone who hates Texas even more than I do Miami.

That excuse doesn't fly, especially because every other NCAA and NAIA divisions use 16-team tournaments.

How would it be too long? If it started this coming up Saturday and they played each round every Saturday after the title game would be on Jan 2nd. When will the BCS title game be again?

It simply won't happen. The biggest playoff system that really probably would have a shot is an 8 team playoff. You could still keep all the same bowl games and everything then. Also the playoffs wouldn't be going on during finals week then either. Have an 8 team playoff with the first round the week after the season ends. Then wait till New Years Day to play the Semi finals in two of the BCS bowls, and then the finals the week after. The season remains just as important then like everyone wants, you keep the all the bowl games which everyone seems to want. The tournament wouldn't be going on during finals week, which is a concern for a playoff system that Presidents have at University's. Then you are actually deciding a Champion on the field for the first time ever.

That is being nothing but a homer if you think Miami would win. Yeah Texas struggled with Nebraska. That was the first real time the struggled this year, I don't even think that game would be that close. About a 3 touchdown win IMO for Texas IMO, and this is coming from someone who hates Texas even more than I do Miami.

How did I guess, you'd be the one to comment? :lol:

I said that because Texas does not play the style that has hurt Miami this season. They do not run the ball at all, and in Miami's losses (especially VT and Clemson) teams ran all over them. I also think McCoy's picks even out with the one Jacory would throw. Texas would be favored, but IMO no way would they win by 3 TD's. They can't run the ball. I wouldn't be afraid for my team to play them at all.

Being a homer I would say Miami would beat Bama, UF, TCU, etc. or just saying everyone. College football is about matchups, and I think Miami matches up very well with Texas. You don't, most wouldn't, but I think I am allowed to have an opinion. Is that correct? I'm not going to fight with you over it. I can have my opinion, you can have yours.

I like an 8-team tournament with the winners of the 6 major BCS conferences getting automatic bids, and 2 at-large schools coming from non-BCS conferences. Also, the conference championship games would be de facto first round games with the loser being eliminated from contention. For example, this year Florida would be out of the tournament after losing to 'Bama. That means every conference would be required to play a conference championship.

I believe that would accomplish a few things...a reward for winning your conference, a chance for the non-BCS schools to win a title, and it would maintain the importance of the regular season that many BCS supporters point to. In fact, I think it might make it better, because you'd have more teams in big games fighting for an opportunity to play for a championship, knowing that second place in the conference leaves you on the outside looking in. That would also leave plenty of good matchups for bowl games with everything from the second best in every conference available to pick from.

Now, somebody tell me what's not to love about a system like that.

Because in some seasons, there are three teams in a league like the SEC that could reasonably win a national title.

Under my system, the regular season still means a lot, because you still have to win your league or play your way into the top 16.