What a 16-team tourney would look like ...

westsider

It simply won't happen. The biggest playoff system that really probably would have a shot is an 8 team playoff. You could still keep all the same bowl games and everything then. Also the playoffs wouldn't be going on during finals week then either. Have an 8 team playoff with the first round the week after the season ends. Then wait till New Years Day to play the Semi finals in two of the BCS bowls, and then the finals the week after. The season remains just as important then like everyone wants, you keep the all the bowl games which everyone seems to want. The tournament wouldn't be going on during finals week, which is a concern for a playoff system that Presidents have at University's. Then you are actually deciding a Champion on the field for the first time ever.
So why is every other division, NCAA and NAIA, playing their tournament now?

Most of this tournament could be played over the semester break, causing minimal class interruption.

How did I guess, you'd be the one to comment? :lol:

I said that because Texas does not play the style that has hurt Miami this season. They do not run the ball at all, and in Miami's losses (especially VT and Clemson) teams ran all over them. I also think McCoy's picks even out with the one Jacory would throw. Texas would be favored, but IMO no way would they win by 3 TD's. They can't run the ball. I wouldn't be afraid for my team to play them at all.

Being a homer I would say Miami would beat Bama, UF, TCU, etc. or just saying everyone. College football is about matchups, and I think Miami matches up very well with Texas. You don't, most wouldn't, but I think I am allowed to have an opinion. Is that correct? I'm not going to fight with you over it. I can have my opinion, you can have yours.

See the part I bolded shows that basically you think they match up well because of you being a homer. You admit most people wouldn't think that, probably because most people dont' have a dog in that fight. I am just saying you are being a homer in saying that, even though you tried to say you weren't being a homer.

By the way when it comes to my favorite teams, I usually end up being a homer too. And think they probably match up better than they really do just because I want to think they do. So I am not bashing your opinion in thinking that, I am just saying that Miami being your favorite team does play a big part in you thinking that. If they weren't your favorite team, I think you would think like most people and wouldn't like Miami to win that game. :thumb:

So why is every other division, NCAA and NAIA, playing their tournament now?

Most of this tournament could be played over the semester break, causing minimal class interruption.

Also isn't most of these tournaments final game going to be played before the week of finals for most schools? I have read an article stating that Presidents didn't like the idea of playoffs because that would be right in the middle of finals week. That is one of the main reasons, why there usually is a big break between when the last regular season is played, and when the Bowls end up being played. I mean I have no problem with a 16 team tournament, but I am just saying that probably the most we will ever see is 8 teams and might not even get that much.

My point with 8 teams is that you can have that break between games for finals week still. Every game still means a lot in the season, which it wouldn't as much in a 16 team tournament. College football is a lot about tradition, and that is one thing they say is their season is the most exciting. Well with an 8 team playoff that season still stays just as exciting because one lost still could end a teams chances of making a 8 team playoff. Bowl games also are a big tradition in football, and with a 16 team playoff you lose a lot of those bowls. If you say well use those bowl games a a playoff, well then other teams that could have made one of those bowls get left out. With an 8 team playoff that does not happen. You still get all the bowl games too.

Also isn't most of these tournaments final game going to be played before the week of finals for most schools? I have read an article stating that Presidents didn't like the idea of playoffs because that would be right in the middle of finals week.
The I-AA playoffs just concluded their quarterfinal round ... their playoffs will interfere with finals weeks at more than one school.

It's a hypocritical argument, because every other division uses a 16-team playoff format, and no one complains about it.

But if avoiding finals week is really that important ... with my proposal, start after finals week. Play it through the semester break. It might interfere with the first week or two of the second semester, but better that conflict then finals week.

The I-AA playoffs just concluded their quarterfinal round ... their playoffs will interfere with finals weeks at more than one school.

My proposal ... start after finals week. Play it through the semester break. It might interfere with the first week or two of the second semester, but better that conflict then finals week.

As I said I honestly would have no problem with that. I am just saying your proposal basically has no chance of happening, because of how College football values their tradition and a lot of it would go away with your 16 team tournament. I mean an 8 team playoff is basically the biggest we probably could have, that would still basically keep all the old traditions of College Football.

See the part I bolded shows that basically you think they match up well because of you being a homer. You admit most people wouldn't think that, probably because most people dont' have a dog in that fight. I am just saying you are being a homer in saying that, even though you tried to say you weren't being a homer.

By the way when it comes to my favorite teams, I usually end up being a homer too. And think they probably match up better than they really do just because I want to think they do. So I am not bashing your opinion in thinking that, I am just saying that Miami being your favorite team does play a big part in you thinking that. If they weren't your favorite team, I think you would think like most people and wouldn't like Miami to win that game. :thumb:

No I really think that of the top 5 teams, Miami matches up best with Texas. It really plays no part in that, outside of the fact that I have watched all of Miami's game this year. The areas where they are weak just so happen to go along with what Texas doesn't do well. For instance, Miami has struggled against the run some this season in the games they have lost, which wouldn't be a problem because Texas doesn't run the ball very well.

No I really think that of the top 5 teams, Miami matches up best with Texas. It really plays no part in that, outside of the fact that I have watched all of Miami's game this year. The areas where they are weak just so happen to go along with what Texas doesn't do well. For instance, Miami has struggled against the run some this season in the games they have lost, which wouldn't be a problem because Texas doesn't run the ball very well.

Well in that case I like my Notre Dame teams chance against Texas too. Notre Dame's main problem was that they couldn't stop the run. Notre Dame's offense would definitely score some on them. So I would take my Notre Dame against Texas too then. :D

Well in that case I like my Notre Dame teams chance against Texas too. Notre Dame's main problem was that they couldn't stop the run. Notre Dame's offense would definitely score some on them. So I would take my Notre Dame against Texas too then. :D

With Clausen and Tate? They probably couldn't pull it out in the end, but they would keep it close IMO. Seriously.

With Clausen and Tate? They probably couldn't pull it out in the end, but they would keep it close IMO. Seriously.

Well obviously with Claussen and Tate. Without those two guys it wouldn't be even close. Notre Dame could score points with anyone, it just came down to defense which was just plain awful all year long.