Will Fidler to give up final year of eligibility

strongopenyon

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What specifically has Newton done in the last two games that you felt was something that they couldn't do? Newton has largely been asked to do the same thing the other two were: manage the game, hand the ball off, and go line up at WR while Cobb is in the Wildcat.

What specifically has Newton done in the last two games that you felt was something that they couldn't do? Newton has largely been asked to do the same thing the other two were: manage the game, hand the ball off, and go line up at WR while Cobb is in the Wildcat.

He's done little but they are 7-4 and have wins over Auburn and UGA on the road with him as their starter. I know he wasn't exactly the reason UK won either of those games but UK hasn't won many games against those two during their history and to win both tells me I can't question what this staff is doing.

He's done little but they are 7-4 and have wins over Auburn and UGA on the road with him as their starter. I know he wasn't exactly the reason UK won either of those games but UK hasn't won many games against those two during their history and to win both tells me I can't question what this staff is doing.

Will Fidler was the quarterback of record on the drive for the game tying and game winning TD. Neither of them deserves all that much credit for that game, but Newton as the starter simply means he saw the field first. Fidler did every bit as much as him (36 yards vs. 39 yards for Newton), and had a better completion percentage and more yards.

I don't really question the staff, but I think Will wasn't even given a fair chance to compete. So I can't blame him for feeling like there's no point continuing.

Didn't he throw for 3 TD's in the Georgia victory? He was the player of the game.

Fair is for little kids. UK is in the buisness of trying to win ball games at a high level. They made the right decison to go with Newton; like stated above, he hasnt put up big numbers but he brings more of a threat as a dual type QB and other teams have to prep for that and honor him in the game. Fidler doesnt bring much to the table.

I really thought this would happen. There just isn't a place for Fidler on this team next year. I am very disappointed in how Will's career turned out. After watching him since he was a freshman in high school I never had a doubt I would be watching him on Saturdays.

Fair is for little kids. UK is in the buisness of trying to win ball games at a high level. They made the right decison to go with Newton; like stated above, he hasnt put up big numbers but he brings more of a threat as a dual type QB and other teams have to prep for that and honor him in the game. Fidler doesnt bring much to the table.

Morgan Newton is not a dual threat quarterback, he is a pro style pocket passer.

Just ask "Clyde". He reminds him of Matthew Stafford.

They're sitting at 7-4 right now and a great chance to get their first win over UT in decades. Would they be in the same position with Fidler or Hartline either one playing full-time QB?

IMHO, with Hartline yes, ... in fact, I think they win the SC game if he doesn't get hurt. Who knows for sure, but with all else being equal, I think they would be at 8-3 right now if Hartline doesn't go down. With Fidler, maybe.

By his own admission, Fidler didn't work very hard his first few years. He didn't realize what it took to be a QB in the SEC until the past year or so. He had a lot of time to make up. Woodson was similar in his first few years, BUT didn't have anyone else to push him until Pulley gave him a run for his money. Then he stepped up his game and became a very solid college QB.

I think that Brooks and staff felt that Newton was the future and went that route. Brooks has even said that he felt that they didn't give Fidler his shot, but that Will handed it well. I believe his comment was 'we weren't really fair to Fidler' but their responsibility is to build an entire program. The staff also liked the idea of having a more mature QB coming off the bench then with a frosh, so went with Newton as the starter. Fidler had his chances, and really didn't look as much like the more mature QB they needed. I also think we didn't see them in practice every day to see the development.

Given the choice between the two, ... while I hate it for Fidler, I think the staff made the right call. The end result is that the Cats are sitting in a better position than anyone picked this team to be in before the season started. How many people actually said that this team would have a legit shot at being 8-4 and potentially #2 in the SEC East before the season began?