Will Chicago get the Olympics?

MJAlltheWay24

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think Obama has a lot more important things to worry about than the Olympics, and I do not think the rest of the world is too impressed with the Obama and think the opposite.

You must not be keeping track of our President and he disagrees with you that he has more important things to do.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/09/28/AR2009092801150.html

Obama announced Monday that he will fly to Denmark for a speaking part in Chicago's final presentation to the International Olympic Committee, ending what has been a behind-the-scenes lobbying effort by the White House and Obama friends on behalf of their home town. First lady Michelle Obama, born and raised on the city's South Side, will also address IOC members, who will make their decision Friday, choosing among Chicago, Madrid, Rio de Janeiro and Tokyo.

You must not be keeping track of our President and he disagrees with you that he has more important things to do.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/09/28/AR2009092801150.html

Obama announced Monday that he will fly to Denmark for a speaking part in Chicago's final presentation to the International Olympic Committee, ending what has been a behind-the-scenes lobbying effort by the White House and Obama friends on behalf of their home town. First lady Michelle Obama, born and raised on the city's South Side, will also address IOC members, who will make their decision Friday, choosing among Chicago, Madrid, Rio de Janeiro and Tokyo.

The problem would be what exactly?

Didn't Chicago hold the World Cup?

Countries, not cities, host the World Cup. The U.S. hosted the World Cup in 1994 and there were some games played at Soldier Field in Chicago. I believe the opening match, Germany v. Bolivia was played there. You might recall Dianna Ross singing the national anthem and then missing a kick to start it all off!

Does anyone know the economic impact for a country that is an Olympic Games host?

You get conflicting reports. Often times, it is a lot more trouble than it is worth. At the time a bid is awarded up and through the Olympics, there is a lot of activity. Problem is, you end up constructing all of these Government funded facilities that may never be used again, at least not utilized like they should. Most studies show a negative economic impact, I believe.

This is America so I guess I SHOULD hope Chicago will get the Olympics. I have to say though with the Obama's and Oprah Winfrey over there lobbying for it I hope we don't get them! I will predict though with Europes affection for Mr. Obama that Chicago will get the games.

Could anyone imagine how bad the already high and mighty "I am God" trip that Oprah Winfrey is on would magnify? Oprah would be claiming she found/solved world peace. :eek::lol:

On the lighter side I can see the format now if in Chicago........The Ousted Chicago/Illinois politicians would deliver the opening address. Rev. Wright would deliver the opening prayer...."not God Bless America, but God.....(yeah, that one:rolleyes:). Bil Ayers lighting the Olympic flame along with "ACORN" would be over judging the events. Oh my, what a picture of Chicago and America. :lol:

(the above paragraph wioth the exception of the ACORN comment came from a Dennis Miller comment I saw last night and thought was hilarious)

Edited by oldrambler
Removed part of post